What is it like to be an Israeli?

Beelzebub

VIP Member
May 6, 2014
Ok, guys, not i n t e n d e d as a piss take. So tread lightly and see what we can learn.

The question is initially [MENTION=36574]Lipush[/MENTION], who yesterday shared that she is in Southern Israel, and so more in line for rocket fire than much of the territory. But also at anyone else who wants to contribute.

We all have shoddy politicians. Do you find any really[/]b represent you well?

What is it like to constantly find your state is under attack from all parts of the world for its politics and its 'acts' ?
And of course it is your choice if you feel something else is more relevant.

Do you ever think that 'Not Having War' might be an option your politicians have not told you about? Do you consider they exaggerate the hatred of you as Jews, rather than hatred of the oppression committed by agents of your state?

How is it to feel part of a militaristic society, where you expect every one of your neighbours, when called upon, to be able to strip, clean and reassemble an M16 blindfolded? Or is that not really the case?

How frequent are the air raid / rocket sirens? - Shin Bet stats say Hamas fired no rockets from 2012 to, I think, May 2014, with very few from Gaza from other groups.
Have you ever seen a rocket impact in your neighbourhood?

Just curious. I know you are all human and must feel put upon by a deal of worldwide pressure on your state. And I am not looking for agreement here, just your story.

Thanks for considering answering.

I also ask all non-Zionists here to not try for cheap points, and keep it light.

Over to you ... :eusa_pray:

I've always believed you clean your own house before talking about how messy someone else's house is. Responsibility, starts at home.

Which means the first step in solving a problem, is to look inward and see what role (if any), you (the figurative you, not the literal you) play in contributing to the problem. If you conclude after introspection you have no role in enabling the problem, then you move on to other factors.

There are far too many on the pro-Israeli side, that will not take that first step.

Ok, guys, not i n t e n d e d as a piss take. So tread lightly and see what we can learn.

The question is initially [MENTION=36574]Lipush[/MENTION], who yesterday shared that she is in Southern Israel, and so more in line for rocket fire than much of the territory. But also at anyone else who wants to contribute.

What is it like to constantly find your state is under attack from all parts of the world for its politics and its 'acts' ?

Do you ever think that 'Not Having War' might be an option your politicians have not told you about? Do you consider they exaggerate the hatred of you as Jews, rather than hatred of the oppression committed by agents of your state?

How is it to feel part of a militaristic society, where you expect every one of your neighbours, when called upon, to be able to strip, clean and reassemble an M16 blindfolded? Or is that not really the case?

How frequent are the air raid / rocket sirens? - Shin Bet stats say Hamas fired no rockets from 2012 to, I think, May 2014, with very few from Gaza from other groups.

Just curious. I know you are all human and must feel put upon by a deal of worldwide pressure on your state. And I am not looking for agreement here, just your story.

I also ask all non-Zionists here to not try for cheap points, and keep it light.

I know what is it like to be fired at. I lived near several major targets. I also have had close calls from car bombs and being shot at.
There were also way incidences long before the war. Too many years of war, of seeing friends and family, on all sides, killed or injured. I also know first hand.
I don't have to be in Israel, or gaza, to know how many of them feel, to know what they are going through.

Can't you ask a question in 25 words or less?

You obviously have never been to Israel. Israelis are a strong accomplished people who have accepted that Arab Muslim savages want to destroy their state and kill every Jew, as a fact of life. Despite living under this constant since 1948, Israelis have managed to make great advances in all fields, while at the same time defending their people brilliantly.

What is it like being part of an intolerant deprived culture who use their kids as ammunition, and who do not contribute anything to modern humanity but terror, mayhem, and death? You must be proud. :clap2:

Last edited:
And Arabs and Muslims have a clean house and show responsibility and conscience in their behavior. Ha ha ha. I love this thread. It's like the river denial.

First, I didn't share yesterday that I'm southern Israeli, I shared it since day one, so maybe you weren't following.

Do any politicians serve me well?

Wow, tough one. I'd say, currently no. To whoever I voted was not about representing me, but who I thought could do the least damage. I know my father and mother both voted for a certain party because they were disappointed with their earlier political belonging. They were dissapointed with the new choice, too.

So no, I don't have anyone 'representing me'. I will be glad to see someone in the government who will. As a young woman, I need someone who will talk to the young generation, work more job offers, decrease the apartment prices, offer benefits for young couples.

As a southerner, It's important to me to see the state offering and building another Hospital in my district, we currently only have 3, and one of them is very little and basic. We need more working hands and people coming to the south. Nowdays we have a big Sodastream worksite to offer jobs to thousands of southerners, and while it's a blessing, is hardly enough. We need more of those factories, places to work in, SodaStream and Tara milk factory are great improvement, but we need more.

We also need someone to take care of the national threat. Rockets, tunnles etc, and to offer a solution that can hold. Israel's current problem is, it doesn't have parties which offer both the economic-social solution, as well as sane political ones.

Once they find such party, it'll get my vote.

Unsurprising. Some conflict interest and influence the world more than others. The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is always in the spotlight, even though the world is entirely unstable. Obama currently says the world is 'safer' than once was, and I look around and wonder if we live on the same planet.

What I have to say is that it all depends on the situation. Sometimes Israel responds totally out of proportion, sometimes it takes years to make Israel respond currectly. But the fact that the 'world' has always something to say, is hardly surpriding. What I think about it? hard to say its pleasant, but again, when you have to defend yourself you are not depending on worlds' opinion. If the world only 'likes' you once you're beaten, then you shouldn't consider it. When the world is fair and balanced, you should ask yourself if you're doing the right thing more often, maybe.

Do you ever think that 'Not Having War' might be an option your politicians have not told you about?

No. I feel that Israel honestly tried to avoid wars, when it can.

Yitzhak Rabin was known to be the most peaceful Israeli leader . He was murdered by a traitor Israeli, no-one denies that, but we look at the time he was the head of things here. Was there no terror in his time? of course it was? Was there anything he didn't give to achieve peace? I doubt it.

Do you consider they exaggerate the hatred of you as Jews, rather than hatred of the oppression committed by agents of your state?

No to that question, as well. Israelis see, hear and feel how the world treats us, and we know to identify whether it's Jew hating or Anti-Zionistm wherever we are in the world. The Toulouse killing was Anti-Semitism masked as Anti-Zionism. When you're against Israeli acts, you go and protest infront of the Israeli embassy. Killing 3 children in a school is not protesting the conflict. It's pure bloodshed.

Not really the case. Once it was expected to every young man and woman to serve in the army, because it's your way of contributing the state in the most basic way. But sometimes personal needs or problem are there, so you contribute the country in other ways, like national-servie and other community services.

It's not like every IDF recruit goes to be a pilot, either. There are IDF socials and teachers and doctors, not everything is about combat.

Alot of it depends on one's education and personal chain of army background. For me, both my parents, and many of my uncles, have what Israel considers 'Honorable background' in the IDF. My father and mother both served in the air-force- my father 25 years, my mother 22. Both my uncles served over 20 years. If someone asked them 20 years ago what I should do in the military, they'd respond probably airforce officer. In such a time and place it's may not be easy to be detached from the chain. But I did my duty of two years, and I served in the Navy, and had their blessings, because, time changes, it's not 1973 no more.

Following 'Pillar Of Defense', the amount of rockets fired at southern Israel decreased dramatically for over a year. Rockets were launched at rages very closed to the Gaza strip, but that didn't happen often, and when it did, we don't know if it was Hamas or not, since they didn't took responsibility for them. About few months ago the rocket problem returned full force, and wasn't dealt with properly.

Yes. I live in a small town of 7000 residents, near one of the most 'favorite' cities of Hamas. about 10 miles from were I live we have a main southern air-force base, which they always try to target. They always miss of course, and their rockets hit either Be'er Sheva, my town, or the surrounding area of my town. More than 4 times the rockets hit very close areas to my house, the closest one was a house, 3 streets from where I live.

Hope I didn't miss any of your questions.

Thank you Lipush.

That is very informative and clearly a sincere representation of how things are there, for you and those in your locality.

There is so much heat on the subject I am convinced we all tend to see opposing voices as belonging to ogres with evil intent, rather than people who we would probably go a long way to agree with, if in the same situation. No matter how often we remind ourselves to not 'dehumanise' in the discussion.

I also read a piece recently which cynically suggested that Sderot is only there to tempt Gazan missiles and so give cause for Israeli militarism. In which case residents are being used by all sides.

It may not be true but The Powers never look out for us small people.

Thank you for your report from The Interior. :)
It reminds me that its not only Palestinians who need peace.

Daniyel: You have been nominated. Fancy the challenge? :eusa_angel:

Thank you Lipush.

That is very informative and clearly a sincere representation of how things are there, for you and those in your locality.

There is so much heat on the subject I am convinced we all tend to see opposing voices as belonging to ogres with evil intent, rather than people who we would probably go a long way to agree with, if in the same situation. No matter how often we remind ourselves to not 'dehumanise' in the discussion.

I also read a piece recently which cynically suggested that Sderot is only there to tempt Gazan missiles and so give cause for Israeli militarism. In which case residents are being used by all sides.

It may not be true but The Powers never look out for us small people.

Thank you for your report from The Interior. :)
It reminds me that its not only Palestinians who need peace.

Daniyel: You have been nominated. Fancy the challenge? :eusa_angel:

Sderot and Oteff Aza (The Gaza civinity) are the soft stomach of Israel. We sometimes call them the transparent people. In a media that is filled with Gaza deaths and destruction and IDF 'aggression' we forget the transparent people of southern Israel.

Daniyel will agree with me or not, but there are certain things only southerners will understand (not to be offensive). We have an amazing district with amazing society and wonderful people, and their voice is hardly ever heard. Southerners are the true pioneers of this land. We're farmers and workers and the desert bloomers. People tend to forget we're here.

I remember that some people were reminded of the south only in 2009. One of my roomates laughed at me once, before the war, saying, "Say, you still ride camels in wherever is that you live"? and I was like "Ha-frickin'-ha, hilarious:doubt:" Then Cast Lead started and people started noticing we're part of this state, not only "on the way to Eilat".

Sderot is not there to tempt the missiles just like Eshkol, Ashkelon and Be'er Sheva are not there to tempt the missiles. Those places exist because of a vision. When Ben Gurion spoke of Israel he didn't speak of Herzeliya and Savion, he said- "In the south shall Zionism be tested", and added that Zionism is incomplete till the south is filled with people and blooming. His favorite sentence was taken from the Talmud- "Wealth belongs to the north, and wisdom to the south. Rabbi Isaac said In Baba Bathra- whoever seeks wisdom, south shall he go".

I am a small person, and I don't decide if there should be war or not. I'm southerner, we're watchers in our nature, hardly doers (which is our greatest fault, if you ask me). We just want peace and quiet in the area. And we don't believe empty words, we want something to guarentee the lives of future generations here. Hoping for the possibility, still

Not being a Jew and not living in Israel I can give an impartial account.

Some do, but many are in politics for their own agendas.

In the case of Israel I don't see that being the case, what I do see is muslims spreading LIES to demonise the Jews.

There are only two ways that there could be " NO WAR " If isreal is wiped out or if Palestine is wiped out. The hatred is self evident in the verses written in the Koran that command the muslims to " KILL THE JEWS "

privileged in the extreme

Going on the evidence available on the internet at least three times a day, sometimes more sometimes less

I see you speak honestly and from the heart Lipush.

The biggest schism between the view of the world you express and that of the rest of the world is about the Zionist dream. For us, when we balance the dream of an Israel for Jews to be happy and safe, with the dream of Palestinians to be free in their own state, happy & safe both seem good, "for those they would embrace".

There lies the rub.

But I wont get into that here. And ask no one else diverts to that. There are 10,000 other threads to discuss where & why it goes wrong.

Do we have any Palestinian contributors willing to talk about how their lives are laid out? Maybe even someone from Gaza?

I've always believed you clean your own house before talking about how messy someone else's house is. Responsibility, starts at home.

Which means the first step in solving a problem, is to look inward and see what role (if any), you (the figurative you, not the literal you) play in contributing to the problem. If you conclude after introspection you have no role in enabling the problem, then you move on to other factors.

There are far too many on the pro-Israeli side, that will not take that first step.

Which will be, what, exactly? You speak with slogans, be more specific.

For myself, since I was personally mentioned in the OP, I said what I had to say, you talk about house cleaning? give me an advice, since you always pretend to have all the answers, what I can, as a southerner, civilian, little person, do to 'improve' the situation? make the 'first step'?

Honestly curious.

House cleaning? I never felt so good about being Israeli, and Muslims or not I'm not going anywhere, Israel is heaven on earth, everything you can say won't change my perspective on Israel, fighting for what is right and just - and the last operation just proved it very well to all the people who thought maybe things could be done differently, Israel accepted all ceasefire's, all de-escalation ways, and later on blamed for war crimes, this is hilarious, you people never ran out of ammo, meanwhile the real monsters getting closer to you but you are busy cleaning your conscience over Israel - searching in the light.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And about the upcoming field trial.
BvCEvgzIgAEC3IA-1.jpg-large-e1408165047110.jpeg

Err. Yes, I see. Thank you Daniyel. From the heart too. Or maybe a nearby organ. ;)

Btw.
Interesting choice of song.
Prophetic. Or descriptive. Both maybe.

Last edited:
I have this new song as my new gam. Still not there, but that's my wishful thinking. It called 'Yamim Shel Sheket", 'Days of Tranquility'. Each 'round' of rocket fire ends with what comes after, and I really wish I could sing it whole-heartedly, for the last time.

'Here they come...
days of tranquility
after the awful and horrible noise
I can rest a little on the balcony
and collect the storm's fragments

Here they come...
days of tranquility...

'Here they come...
days of tranquility
I forgot how they look like...
I can open the door now,
and send birds to fly to the wind

'Here they come...
days of tranquility
we'll go to the window and check
If the flood is over
maybe a safe land is in sight
couples, couples
will go out in twos
we'll look into the sky
and wait for the dove together

'Here they come...
days of tranquility
after all we've had is gone
sit on the balcony with me
and together, we'll cry for yesterday

Here they come...
days of tranquility
We sit on the mountain together
flooding waters are gone, rainbow in the horizon
we can wake up, the apocalypse is over...

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back