What is enlightenment?

We're including flying fairies, PJ. Flyin' fairies want to strip off your PJ's and get at that sphincter.

Since we're not having a serious talk about enlightenment anyway. Why not? Let's have fun.

We're including flying fairies, PJ. Flyin' fairies want to strip off your PJ's and get at that sphincter.

Since we're not having a serious talk about enlightenment anyway. Why not? Let's have fun.

I'm sorry. I really dig efforts at enlightenment but it's pretty much lost in the cyber world. Concepts and all can be conveyed but just the words can't convey enough to do any good. Touching, seeing, smelling.... hard to get by without that.

But a joke ? That works.

And I'm pretty sure that the sphincter metaphor is about a dump. I think.

Six wise, blind elephants were discussing what humans were like. Failing to agree, they decided to determine what humans were like by direct experience.
The first wise, blind elephant felt the human, and declared, "Humans are flat."

The other wise, blind elephants, after similarly feeling the human, agreed.

I know this is really shallow but I thought it was about knowing and accepting yourself.

I used to think it was really great to know stuff and when i realised I would never know enough stuff I used to get quite frustrated. Frustration, as we all know, leads to anger. That anger might not be expressed directly but it will find expression.

The other trap was rationality. I stil do it. I can still be a major pain in the arse when I get into rational mode and I don't mean only online. When it happens in offline life it can be a real nuisance to others around you because most of us (outside of the lecture room) just bumble along and being coldly rational is the sort of thing we laugh at Mr Spock over.

I did read somewhere that to be enlightened you have to leave rationality behind. I thought that was a load of old tosh until I realised that the concept of rationality is a human invention. It's useful for problem-solving but it might get in the way in other instances.

So, perhaps enlightenment is about understanding your true self, accepting your true self and accepting the true self of other people. Maybe. I don't know.

Anyone interested in discussing this as a topic?

Your thoughts.

What I heard tonight that I'm sitting with is:

Enlightenment is Total Inclusivity

they don't relate imo.

one can be enlightened on what is really going on....but not be a part of it, or included in on it.

care

Your thoughts.

they don't relate imo.

one can be enlightened on what is really going on....but not be a part of it, or included in on it.

care

Care--

Lama Tsering made this very bold statement: Enlightenment is Total Inclusivity. What she's referring to, is that most of the time we are rejecting how things are. We are trying to manipulate other people and the universe. We make value judgments--this is good, that is bad, etc.

Lama Tsering says that enlightenment is inclusive. Nothing is left out. There is just vast open presence of awareness.

Others may call that God. Some may call it Buddha. Some would say it's enlightenment.

It's a moment to moment 24/7 experience of inclusivity--no separation.

I've been reflecting on this.

Your thoughts.

they don't relate imo.

care

Care--

Lama Tsering made this very bold statement: Enlightenment is Total Inclusivity. What she's referring to, is that most of the time we are rejecting how things are. We are trying to manipulate other people and the universe. We make value judgments--this is good, that is bad, etc.

Lama Tsering says that enlightenment is inclusive. Nothing is left out. There is just vast open presence of awareness.

Others may call that God. Some may call it Buddha. Some would say it's enlightenment.

is "reflecting on this" the same thing as thinking about it ?:lol:

'Reflecting on this' (topic) means to contemplate inclusivity. It's not just thinking about it, dillo. Thinking about the topic is a part of it.

It's also being present for what arises in thinking about it--which is sometimes more of a 'felt-sense'.

We contemplate, and then we drop the contemplation and relax the mind. From that place of spacious presence, insights often arise.

The insight I've been working with is that I tend to push aside and not own the anger and hatred I feel. It's a momentary experience--yet I judge it--and I judge others in it.

A button for me is when someone is deliberately cruel to another--and enjoys causing suffering. I'm working with opening up to the truth of how things are in myself and others.

Last edited:

Your thoughts.

they don't relate imo.

care

Care--

sky,

i guess i have problems with the term total inclusiveness....

to me, this means you are a PART of it....even if it is EVIL.....I don't see it that way....I think one can be enlightened and know what is going on around them with others....whether it be evil or good....but still not be included in the evilness that others are trying to prevail....

Enlightenment means awareness of all to me, but not necessarily included in all.

Care

Reflecting on it means to contemplate. It's not just thinking about it, dillo. Thinking about the topic is a part of it.

It's also being present for what arises in thinking about it--which is sometimes more of a 'felt-sense'.

We contemplate, and then we drop the contemplation and relax the mind. From that place of spacious presence, insights often arise.

The insight I've been working with is that I tend to push aside and not own the anger and hatred I feel. It's a momentary experience--yet I judge it--and I judge others in it.

A button for me is when someone is deliberately cruel to another--and enjoys causing suffering. I'm working with opening up to the truth of how things are in myself and others.

Whatever--obviously you can deal with your own cruelty so you have to seek and kill it in others. Reflect on that

Forum List

Back