What I Hate About Math and Science Teachers

Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke were smarter than most science teachers. Reading there books was more informative about a proper scientific attitude that most teachers.

But other writers were decent also.

Omnilingual by Henry Beam Piper
Omnilingual - Henry Beam Piper | Feedbooks

psik

So that's where Republicans get their vast knowledge of "science". From "science FICTION" writers.

Maybe they aren't familiar with the work "fiction"?

That is the curious thing about science fiction. It has changed since the 70s and been invaded by more Liberal Arts people who emphasize the FICTION over the SCIENCE. A lot of stuff called science fiction AIN'T. The Hyperion series by Dan Simmons is a perfect example.

So admittedly some stuff called science fiction is really STUPID but that is not what I am saying is worth having kids read.

Here is a science fiction story about finding water on the Moon from 1959 which NASA did not do until 2009.

All Day September - Roger Kuykendall | Feedbooks <- Link

Water on the Moon - NASA at Work
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnEnHze9Clg]Water on the Moon - NASA at Work - YouTube[/ame]

psik

1). Stop saying that .0000000000000001 equals 0 (calculator does that too). The lie detector is 99.9% accurate but that doesn’t mean that it is 100% accurate. Sometimes, the lie detector results show “inconclusive.”

2). Stop saying that when data is found to be insignificant it is insignificant. Why? Because that which is insignificant can become significant. The emphasis in the word become suggests an automatic default change or the change initiated and/or manipulated by a human being and/or unknown party/parties. The dependent (outcome) variable can change by itself without any influence from the independent (manipulative) variable, can change with the influence of an independent (manipulative) variable (the saying that we can alter our social reality), or can change with the influence of unknown party/parties. The dependent (outcome) variable itself can also become its own independent (manipulative) variable. Hence, the change occurrence can be done by the entity itself; both of the activities of the independent variable and the dependent variable may or may not occur simultaneously. Please note that the statement "Stop saying that when data is found to be insignificant, it is insignificant because that doesn't mean that is not significant" is a direct analogy to a "metaphor" or "figurative speech." Just like in poetry, there is always a deeper meaning, a secondary meaning, or a meaning that has nothing to do with the denotative meaning. In that statement, I am not referring to "rejecting or accepting the null hypothesis" as taught in statistics. The statement can be interpreted as "Research has found a lot of significant data evidence supporting..." or "Research has found no significant statistical connection to support..." In this context, describing statistical significance has no relevance to the denotative definition of statistical significance taught in a basic statistics course.

3). Stop saying that the laws of physics are unbreakable. Why? Because they are breakable through the will of the Combined Consciousness. Yes, it is true that when you toss out an item out the window, it is supposed to fall to the ground but that doesn’t mean it has to fall to the ground; it can float in the air.

4). I once had a science teacher that kept saying "chips are bad for you because of fat". Today, there is a difference between "transfat", "saturated fat", and "unsaturated fat." I had another teacher that said "pizza is bad for you." No, actually most cereal is worse. Pizza has dairy, meat, and bread. Cereal has a lot of food coloring and sugar.

Hmm, what I hate about math is for every math problem there are millions of answers, yet only one answer is right.:eusa_whistle:

1). Stop saying that .0000000000000001 equals 0 (calculator does that too). The lie detector is 99.9% accurate but that doesn’t mean that it is 100% accurate. Sometimes, the lie detector results show “inconclusive.”

2). Stop saying that when data is found to be insignificant it is insignificant. Why? Because that which is insignificant can become significant. The emphasis in the word become suggests an automatic default change or the change initiated and/or manipulated by a human being and/or unknown party/parties. The dependent (outcome) variable can change by itself without any influence from the independent (manipulative) variable, can change with the influence of an independent (manipulative) variable (the saying that we can alter our social reality), or can change with the influence of unknown party/parties. The dependent (outcome) variable itself can also become its own independent (manipulative) variable. Hence, the change occurrence can be done by the entity itself; both of the activities of the independent variable and the dependent variable may or may not occur simultaneously. Please note that the statement "Stop saying that when data is found to be insignificant, it is insignificant because that doesn't mean that is not significant" is a direct analogy to a "metaphor" or "figurative speech." Just like in poetry, there is always a deeper meaning, a secondary meaning, or a meaning that has nothing to do with the denotative meaning. In that statement, I am not referring to "rejecting or accepting the null hypothesis" as taught in statistics. The statement can be interpreted as "Research has found a lot of significant data evidence supporting..." or "Research has found no significant statistical connection to support..." In this context, describing statistical significance has no relevance to the denotative definition of statistical significance taught in a basic statistics course.

3). Stop saying that the laws of physics are unbreakable. Why? Because they are breakable through the will of the Combined Consciousness. Yes, it is true that when you toss out an item out the window, it is supposed to fall to the ground but that doesn’t mean it has to fall to the ground; it can float in the air.

4). I once had a science teacher that kept saying "chips are bad for you because of fat". Today, there is a difference between "transfat", "saturated fat", and "unsaturated fat." I had another teacher that said "pizza is bad for you." No, actually most cereal is worse. Pizza has dairy, meat, and bread. Cereal has a lot of food coloring and sugar.

Hmm, what I hate about math is for every math problem there are millions of answers, yet only one answer is right.:eusa_whistle:

Quadratic equations have always have two correct answers. Sometimes the answers are equal to each other, but there are still two of them. In fact, the number of answers to any equation is equal to the power of the highest exponent in that equation.

Another reason for people to hate math, it gets more complicated sometimes.

Forum List

Back