College: Cost too much?

Discussion in 'Education' started by zzzz, Aug 21, 2011.

1. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Good article on the rising costs of going to college. Am I glad I have my degree!

Colleges charge big tuition because they can | Journal and Courier | jconline.com

2. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,094
    This is an interesting topic.

I think the gap between what is needed to pay for a top private college and an in-state college is becoming too wide. The cost of one top-tier private college I know of and a good in-state college is $200,000 over four years. I am extremely skeptical that the extra $200k is worth it over the long-run.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    I wonder where all the hand-wringers from the left are on this "price gouging" by Big Edumacation?

[​IMG]

4. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    We will be paying for two next year. They have been offered no assistance because of our income. That's ok. We've saved since they were born.

What's not ok is the waste and corruption that goes on at these schools and the GD nickle and diming for extra fees, textbooks, health insurance, etc. What's not ok is using tuition and taxpayer money to pay for foreign students to attend for free. What's not ok is paying football coaches $2M a year.

And what really gets my goat is FERPA. If I am putting out $40K a year, I should have the right to monitor my investment. If they want to treat students as independent adults, then use THEIR friggin income to calculate the bill.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    In part the cost of education rising has to do with the availability of loans to pay for college.

This incidently, in also why the cost of health care rose at a rate so much higher than inflation generally.

Ironic, no?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,094
    Mama, don't let your babies grow up to be lawyers. Financially, it's not worth it unless you go to a top tier school and get hired by a big Wall Street firm.

Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be...Lawyers by Herwig Schlunk :: SSRN

I read somewhere that law school applications have been dropping.

7. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    It is not even close to being worth it.

One rule of thumb I recently came across was what a college pays its dean. If they pay a higher salary to "compete" with the business world they charge too much for tuition.

8. aplcr0331

aplcr0331 ConvenientHeuristic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +86
    It should be abundantly clear to any high school student the problems that come with using debt to finance college. How can anyone be suprised how debt works in this day and age? Any high school student should also be able to notice that not all colleges are priced the same. If they know this, they can figure out that not all jobs pay the same. If you want fincial independence your going to have to get a degree that gives you a good job, from a college that costs you as little as possible. It's a simple math problem that we should expect ANY college bound student to grasp.

And yet students STILL make poor choices. And that is alright, but they should be allowed to lay in the beds they made. Same as the real estate bust. Make a stupid deal, and you get to live with your mistakes. Even if you don't learn from them, you can serve as an example to others of what not to do.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  9. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    High school kids aren't that bright. True story. :lol:

10. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,405
    High School kids are not that smart. They do not look at cost/benefit analysis of what you pay at one school vs another or the employability/salary potential of one major vs another

They choose schools based on:
    Where their friends are going
    It is near the beach/ski resort/bars
    How good the Football/Basketball team is
    Nightlife
    It has a name that will impress their friends

Too many parents give their kids too much lattitude in the school and major their kids select. If you are paying for it, you should have a say in where your money will be spent. You are looking at 18 year old kids...do not expect them to make rational decisions