What I Hate About Math and Science Teachers

Discussion in 'Education' started by serenesam, Aug 20, 2011.

1. serenesam

serenesam Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    1). Stop saying that .0000000000000001 equals 0 (calculator does that too). The lie detector is 99.9% accurate but that doesn’t mean that it is 100% accurate. Sometimes, the lie detector results show “inconclusive.”

2). Stop saying that when data is found to be insignificant it is insignificant. Why? Because that which is insignificant can become significant. The emphasis in the word become suggests an automatic default change or the change initiated and/or manipulated by a human being and/or unknown party/parties. The dependent (outcome) variable can change by itself without any influence from the independent (manipulative) variable, can change with the influence of an independent (manipulative) variable (the saying that we can alter our social reality), or can change with the influence of unknown party/parties. The dependent (outcome) variable itself can also become its own independent (manipulative) variable. Hence, the change occurrence can be done by the entity itself; both of the activities of the independent variable and the dependent variable may or may not occur simultaneously. Please note that the statement "Stop saying that when data is found to be insignificant, it is insignificant because that doesn't mean that is not significant" is a direct analogy to a "metaphor" or "figurative speech." Just like in poetry, there is always a deeper meaning, a secondary meaning, or a meaning that has nothing to do with the denotative meaning. In that statement, I am not referring to "rejecting or accepting the null hypothesis" as taught in statistics. The statement can be interpreted as "Research has found a lot of significant data evidence supporting..." or "Research has found no significant statistical connection to support..." In this context, describing statistical significance has no relevance to the denotative definition of statistical significance taught in a basic statistics course.

3). Stop saying that the laws of physics are unbreakable. Why? Because they are breakable through the will of the Combined Consciousness. Yes, it is true that when you toss out an item out the window, it is supposed to fall to the ground but that doesn’t mean it has to fall to the ground; it can float in the air.

4). I once had a science teacher that kept saying "chips are bad for you because of fat". Today, there is a difference between "transfat", "saturated fat", and "unsaturated fat." I had another teacher that said "pizza is bad for you." No, actually most cereal is worse. Pizza has dairy, meat, and bread. Cereal has a lot of food coloring and sugar.

2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    And ban .9 cents pricing on the gas pumps. I never seem to have $ .009 on me and my weed eater says to mix exactly 1 gallon of gas with 3.2 oz of oil.
    But I cannot buy exactly one gallon of gas!

3. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,012
    This thread has very little to do with "Math and Science Teachers". Someone obviously played "hooky". And played it well.

4. aplcr0331

aplcr0331 ConvenientHeuristic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Again, a science teacher is NOT a Scientist. Someone said "chips are bad". I'm glad you realize the inherent limits in that statement. It's exactly like saying cereal has food coloring and sugar. There's a lot left unsaid.

How old are you?

Take your stupid rumentations back to the science forums. Stupid won't sell very well here either.

Seeya!

5. serenesam

serenesam Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well this isn't in the science section now is it? Look who is really stupid. :)

6. tonystewart1

tonystewart1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +155
    2 guys are in front of me at the gas pump

They both have brand new gallon gas cans

They pump from differnt sides of the pump

According to the pumps they both got exactly 1 gallon of gas

One guy pays 3.54

One guy pays 4.00

Guess which pump i used.

7. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke were smarter than most science teachers. Reading there books was more informative about a proper scientific attitude that most teachers.

But other writers were decent also.

Omnilingual by Henry Beam Piper
    Omnilingual - Henry Beam Piper | Feedbooks

psik

8. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Guess what, you are going to hate me also. That is zero in any real world application.

Lie detectors are not 99.9% accurate. If they were they would be legal in court, lie detector results are always inconclusive.

]

You have just enough understanding to confuse yourself, you must be a college grad.

If something is insignificant it is insignificant. That does not make it insignificant in all circumstances, or even to everyone in the same circumstance, but the amount of money you have in your bank account means jack squat to 100% of the population of the world.

No it can't.

Your bad experiences with teachers are insignificant.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    What do you expect from left wingers, common sense?

10. percysunshine

percysunshine Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,903
    "Stop saying that the laws of physics are unbreakable. Why? Because they are breakable through the will of the Combined Consciousness."

Mind over matter? We will make millions! Combined Consciousness Ltd. I am drawing up the business plan now and intend to float it.