What healthcare reforms would you support?

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Given the existing battle over the direction healthcare reform is taking, What changes if any would you be willing to support?

1. Cooperative pools- Group the uninsured, underinsured, self employed into large competitive pools for lower rates

2. Full single provider healthcare- Like Canada or England

3. Prohibit insurers from denying coverage due to pre-existing conditions

4. Public Option- Government provides voluntary healthcare program for uninsured and to compete with private insurers

5. Portability of coverage- You can keep the same policy for life. Even if you change jobs, are unemployed or move cross country

6. Interstate competition of insurance companies- Why can't insurance be offered nationwide or online so you can select your best coverage

7. Employer based insurance- Are you satisfied being tied to your employer or union to maintain coverage?

8. Care of illegals- If an illegal alien takes a child with a broken arm to the emergency room, should that child be turned away?

I'll take the same health care as congress. Nothing less.

I have the same health care plan as congress. It is probably closest to the cooperative pool option. You have a large choice of insurance companies which includes Blue Cross, HMO and PPO plans which depend on your state.
I don't know if you believe this is all free of charge with no deductables.....its not.
I pay $2500 per year for myself and my wife. $350 deductable per person and they pay 85% of covered procedures as long as you pre-certify everything. Some plans cost more some less.....depending on the coverage you select

The OP is about changing the system of health care, not reforming it.

Get tort reform.

Insist on portability.

Get rid of the exemption for pre-existing conditions.

Annie is on the right track, the key is to look at why costs have skyrocked and backtrack from there.

All the lawsuites caused insurance rates to rise, the cost is passed on to the consumer.

Tort reform is where to start, then you limit premimums and prevent unfair passing on of any added costs, prices drop and care improves.

Everything else is a bandaide on a giant hemmorage.

I'll take the same health care as congress. Nothing less.

I have the same health care plan as congress. It is probably closest to the cooperative pool option. You have a large choice of insurance companies which includes Blue Cross, HMO and PPO plans which depend on your state.
I don't know if you believe this is all free of charge with no deductables.....its not.
I pay $2500 per year for myself and my wife. $350 deductable per person and they pay 85% of covered procedures as long as you pre-certify everything. Some plans cost more some less.....depending on the coverage you select

Well hell. My current healthcare is better than yours. I have a HSA and when the deductables is met ( which is $2300 ) everything is covered 100%.

I would support the following health care reform measures:

(1) Eliminate deductables on all health insurance policies.
(2) Eliminate co-pays on all health insurance policies.
(3) Eliminate the pre-existinng clause on all health insurance policies.
(4) Make it law that an Insurance Company could not drop your coverage except for non-payment of your premiums.
(5) Make health insurance more affordable so everybody that was really interested in obtaining health insurance could afford it.
(6) Eliminate co-pays on prescription medications. Medications are a part of the medical care your doctor has decided you should receive. Therefore, it should be fully covered under your insurance.
(7) Require doctors, hospitals, clinics and anybody else that provides medical care to accept any insurance that is sold in America.
(8) Do away with any required rider policies for Medicare. If you are on Medicare, then the bill should be paid in full with no co-pay or additional policies required to cover your medical bill.
(9) Medicare should pay the full amount of any Nursing Home bill and not require the patient to "spend down" their resources before they begin to pay Nursing Home bills.

I would like to see Congress pass these health care reforms. Other than these things, I do not feel the government has any business being involved in the health care business.

1. Cooperative pools- Group the uninsured, underinsured, self employed into large competitive pools for lower rates

Not sure how this works. How it would reduce costs, different from now, etc.

Few good things come out of a monopoly no matter who runs it.

Yes and no. Not for out right denail, but there would be some justification to pay higher premiums. It is a risk for the provider like be a risk for anything else (i.e. lending, auto insureance).

4. Public Option- Government provides voluntary healthcare program for uninsured and to compete with private insurers

I don't get this one. Is it supposed to be some minimal level of coverage? What would be the point of that if you need to purchase yet another form of insurance to cover more catastrophic illnesses? On the flip if it's suppossed to be a cheaper option that covers everything, well then you're back to a monopoly pretty quickly. And how would government pay for such a plan (something they can't currently answer)?

5. Portability of coverage- You can keep the same policy for life. Even if you change jobs, are unemployed or move cross country

Yes, but could rendered irrelevant later..........

6. Interstate competition of insurance companies- Why can't insurance be offered nationwide or online so you can select your best coverage

This is one of the best options out there. It would reduce costs to the individual and doesn't cost anything.

7. Employer based insurance- Are you satisfied being tied to your employer or union to maintain coverage?

One of the best things that could happen for our economy would be for employers to not be burdened with paying the bulk of our premiums. So we have to come up with something that reduces the cost of coverage enough to make it reaonable for people to pay on their own.

8. Care of illegals- If an illegal alien takes a child with a broken arm to the emergency room, should that child be turned away?

I don't agree with turning people away that need it, but doing so might keep a few more illegals from coming here illegally

Given the existing battle over the direction healthcare reform is taking, What changes if any would you be willing to support?

1. Cooperative pools- Group the uninsured, underinsured, self employed into large competitive pools for lower rates Yes

2. Full single provider healthcare- Like Canada or England Absolutely not

3. Prohibit insurers from denying coverage due to pre-existing conditions Yes

4. Public Option- Government provides voluntary healthcare program for uninsured and to compete with private insurers Depends on how it is set up

5. Portability of coverage- You can keep the same policy for life. Even if you change jobs, are unemployed or move cross country Yes

6. Interstate competition of insurance companies- Why can't insurance be offered nationwide or online so you can select your best coverage Essentially the same as #5

7. Employer based insurance- Are you satisfied being tied to your employer or union to maintain coverage? Yes

8. Care of illegals- If an illegal alien takes a child with a broken arm to the emergency room, should that child be turned away? Absolutely, I'm simon Legree. Of course you had to couch this option in these specific terms. That way any one who disagrees with tax dollars supporting illegal aliens in this type of scenario will look like Simon Legree and be demonized. Polling to achive a desired outcome.

8. Care of illegals- If an illegal alien takes a child with a broken arm to the emergency room, should that child be turned away? Absolutely, I'm simon Legree. Of course you had to couch this option in these specific terms. That way any one who disagrees with tax dollars supporting illegal aliens in this type of scenario will look like Simon Legree and be demonized. Polling to achive a desired outcome.

I did couch it in human terms. If I had said should illegals be treated in emergency rooms if they have no healthcare, the answer would be a resounding NO. The real question is are we a compassionate country that is willing to provide emergency care even if the recipient can't pay? By the way, we also provide free medical care for convicts and murderers

The other day I got a flat tire. My mechanic replaced the transmission, the starter, the alternator, the radiator and then put a plug in the tire. His other job is a Senator.

I did couch it in human terms. If I had said should illegals be treated in emergency rooms if they have no healthcare, the answer would be a resounding NO. The real question is are we a compassionate country that is willing to provide emergency care even if the recipient can't pay? By the way, we also provide free medical care for convicts and murderers

Once again it's called polling to reach a desired outcome. If you were a polster and you did what you just did (and admitted to it like you just did) you'ld be out of a job.
Basically what you're saying is you don't want a true opinion sample, you just want everyone to agree with you on this one subject.
The real answer is this scenario is occuring hundreds of times a day all over the country. Not only are they treated but no ID is required, no address is asked for and you and I are already left footing the bill in increased insurance and medical costs.

No! you are not a compassionate country as evidenced by your hateful vitriol towards your fellow countrymen and by your chosens choice of eugenicists as his czars.. so in short until you prove otherwise you are going to deny seniors and treat illegals.. so no,, you are not a compassionate country

number one is fine.

Illegals ARE treated in emergency rooms NOW.

give me obammy and his husband mitch's plan!!! then were good to go!!!

I would support the following health care reform measures:

(1) Eliminate deductables on all health insurance policies.
(2) Eliminate co-pays on all health insurance policies.
(3) Eliminate the pre-existinng clause on all health insurance policies.
(4) Make it law that an Insurance Company could not drop your coverage except for non-payment of your premiums.
(5) Make health insurance more affordable so everybody that was really interested in obtaining health insurance could afford it.
(6) Eliminate co-pays on prescription medications. Medications are a part of the medical care your doctor has decided you should receive. Therefore, it should be fully covered under your insurance.
(7) Require doctors, hospitals, clinics and anybody else that provides medical care to accept any insurance that is sold in America.
(8) Do away with any required rider policies for Medicare. If you are on Medicare, then the bill should be paid in full with no co-pay or additional policies required to cover your medical bill.
(9) Medicare should pay the full amount of any Nursing Home bill and not require the patient to "spend down" their resources before they begin to pay Nursing Home bills.

I would like to see Congress pass these health care reforms. Other than these things, I do not feel the government has any business being involved in the health care business.

Your plan sounds like single payer to me. Like Canada actually.

As far as co-insurance goes, that is really stupid to me. You do know that insurers take your policies and buy insurance on them in blocks and then those reinsurers are in turn reinsuring, which is how we get, farther down the line, into CDOS and other nebulous/junk financial instruments.......so your primary insurer could have invested in a vehicle that was created for your co-insurer and so on and so on.....and back and forth.

Forum List

Back