What happens when a tax cut doesn't cut people's taxes so they'd notice?

Hopefully the same thing that happens when a new entitlement program only gives some people an entitlement.

GOP tax message hits a snag

From the cited article

More than three months after the passage of the GOP’s tax-cut law, new surveys suggest that many people don’t think they are getting bigger paychecks, which could cut into support for Republicans in this fall’s midterm elections.

A CNBC poll this week stated that just 32 percent of working adults reported having more take-home pay due to the new law, a problem for Republicans hoping to run on the measure and the health of the economy in November.

The GOP has made the tax-cut law the centerpiece of its campaign message, arguing that Republican control of Congress and the White House led to legislation that is putting more money in people’s pockets and stimulating an economy with low unemployment.

Yet the CNBC poll suggested that many people aren’t noticing much of a change from the law, a sentiment that could feed into Democratic arguments that it is helping the rich while doing little for the middle class.

Hopefully the same thing that happens when a new entitlement program only gives some people an entitlement.

From the cited article

More than three months after the passage of the GOP’s tax-cut law, new surveys suggest that many people don’t think they are getting bigger paychecks, which could cut into support for Republicans in this fall’s midterm elections.

A CNBC poll this week stated that just 32 percent of working adults reported having more take-home pay due to the new law, a problem for Republicans hoping to run on the measure and the health of the economy in November.

The GOP has made the tax-cut law the centerpiece of its campaign message, arguing that Republican control of Congress and the White House led to legislation that is putting more money in people’s pockets and stimulating an economy with low unemployment.

Yet the CNBC poll suggested that many people aren’t noticing much of a change from the law, a sentiment that could feed into Democratic arguments that it is helping the rich while doing little for the middle class.

The gop seems intent on bringing up tax cuts II before they possibly lose the House because in the Senate getting 60 votes to return tax levels to where they were is impossible. Possibly the dems can make this an issue in some Senate races - deficits and tax cuts you never see.

from the article!

For example, the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center has estimated that people with incomes between $48,600 and $86,100 will, on average, receive a tax cut of $930 for 2018, which is around $35 per pay period if divided equally among 26 pay periods. The group said that people with income of below $25,000 will, on average, get a tax cut of only $60 over the course of the whole year.

“The tax bill just doesn’t provide much benefit to most people,” said Vanessa Williamson, a fellow in governance studies at the Brookings Institution.

from the article!

For example, the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center has estimated that people with incomes between $48,600 and $86,100 will, on average, receive a tax cut of $930 for 2018, which is around $35 per pay period if divided equally among 26 pay periods. The group said that people with income of below $25,000 will, on average, get a tax cut of only $60 over the course of the whole year.

“The tax bill just doesn’t provide much benefit to most people,” said Vanessa Williamson, a fellow in governance studies at the Brookings Institution.
The gop's central tenants were you can't give lower earners a bigger % cut than upper and only people who make enough to pay income tax deserve a tax cut. I thought that was morally, intellectually and policy wise wrong. And that's one reason I don't see voting for a goper in my future.

Of course, I have similar misgivings over Obamacare. But imo that was well-intentioned and it was possibly cureable.

The gop seems intent on bringing up tax cuts II before they possibly lose the House because in the Senate getting 60 votes to return tax levels to where they were is impossible. Possibly the dems can make this an issue in some Senate races - deficits and tax cuts you never see.

Dems. should run on FLIPPING the percentile of 80-20% from conglomerates to favoring the middle class.

maxresdefault.jpg

from the article!

Questions that every democrat candidate MUST ask while campaigning for the November election:

"How many of you voters are happy with the tax cuts that republicans are praising themselves as having given you???"

Liberal Logic...................tax and regulate into prosperity...........

Then they wonder why companies are leaving the Liberal Utopia California........and places like Detroit are in ashes........

Boogles the mind.

The tax reform is a Ponzi scheme.

It's more Keynesian than Keynes.

Of course retards like it. Because they were told to like it.

But don't kid yourselves it had anything to do with fiscal conservatism. All it did was transfer $1.5 trillion onto our kids' backs. Money which will have to be borrowed from our enemies like China, at higher and higher interest rates.

This was a giant wealth redistribution scam, signed and approved by a huckster.
Whatever we do for the love of Pete let's not cut spending no matter who's in power!

So basically the lefts argument is this.

Were super concerned about the debt now after we spent eight years ramping that shit up.
Your tax break is so measly you may as well just give it back to the government, because you know, the debt.
Not that it matters, you give us your tax break back and we'll keep running up the debt but, republicans, yucky, amiright?

from the article!

Questions that every democrat candidate MUST ask while campaigning for the November election:

"How many of you voters are happy with the tax cuts that republicans are praising themselves as having given you???"
Answer most sane people would give: Happier than giving it to you assholes who run up the same debt levels anyway. At least now I get some of it back.

But don't kid yourselves it had anything to do with fiscal conservatism. All it did was transfer $1.5 trillion onto our kids' backs. Money which will have to be borrowed from our enemies like China, at higher and higher interest rates.

Obama racked up over $10 trillion in debt when interest is included, so stop pretending you can about debt. Your entire premise is horrifically flawed.

Trump is on pace to add 2.5 trillion this CY, and you Trump sheep do not care in the least

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
Who passed this spending bill again? I would agree it's ridiculously stupid but lets not pretend the democrats not only voted for it but bragged about how they got the spending levels they wanted even when in the minority. Let;'s also not forget if Trump had vetoed it the left would be going insane about government shutdowns and dead people lining the gutters because of it.

I got a great tax cut. Also was just informed we are getting an unplanned bonus next month. Thanks president Trump!
you don't really care who is going to pay for your meager tax cuts do you?? Wait till prices go up and those cuts disappear like farts in the wind

I pay more in taxes than most people earn so pardon me if I enjoy my tax cut and bonus.
Yes, those who are not paying taxes didn't get a cut. (Surprise!)

For others, biggest tax cut in history!

except it's not. more like the eighth

trumplings don't think; they feel

Social Security is the biggest ponzi scheme in history bet you don't have issue with that ? Did you bitch about the 10's of Trillions the last administration piled onto the back of our progeny ?

Ohhh look, a Stalinist shitting on the tax cuts...

That works Comrade, people don't want "crumbs" like an extra couple of hundred bucks a week.

What you Stalinists need to do is campaign on repealing the "crumbs" and make it clear you will sharply increase taxes. :thup:

Keep pimping the message for your massahs, the people don't want more of what they earn, they want more government so that they can be told what to do and think!

The people just don't want this..

{
Walgreens will boost its hourly workers’ wages by $100 million a year after similar moves by competitors, company leaders announced Wednesday.

The Deerfield-based drugstore chain will begin offering the higher pay this year, Alex Gourlay, co-chief operating officer for Walgreens Boots Alliance, said in an earnings call Wednesday. Walgreens spokesman Michael Polzin said he couldn’t provide specific figures on exactly how much the move might change employees’ pay.

A number of other retailers also have announced bigger paychecks for workers in recent months.

Walmart announced in January that it would increase starting pay to $11 an hour for hourly employees at a cost of $300 million. Target also raised its minimum starting pay to $11 an hour late last year and said it would increase that figure to $15 an hour by 2020.}

Trump Tax Bill Devastates Walgreens By Forcing It To Increase Worker Wages By $100 Million

I got a great tax cut. Also was just informed we are getting an unplanned bonus next month. Thanks president Trump!

Crumbs, it's just crumbs.

Billionaire Oligrarchs who own the Stalinist democrats scoff at the few hundred bucks extra you get.

Stalinists like bendog know what's best for you, more taxes, more government, less freedom.

Look up section 199A of the new tax code

In it you will find an huge tax deduction for middle class owners of S corps, LLCs and who are sole propietors

People who own and operate these types of business will see a nice tax cut but it doesn't show up in a paycheck because we pay our taxes quarterly.

I should have my quarterly tax schedule from my accountant next month

you don't really care who is going to pay for your meager tax cuts do you?? Wait till prices go up and those cuts disappear like farts in the wind

How do you "pay for tax cuts," shit fer brains?

Does all money rightfully belong to our rulers, hence allowing peasants to keep more of what they earn must be "paid for?"

You Stalinists are some stupid motherfuckers.

I don't give a fuck how small of an increase a tax cut gives me as long as I keep more of my own money.

Forum List

Back