What happens to babies born in prisons?

buddhallah_the_christ

Dec 4, 2014
Say a woman has a 5 year sentence and she is 6 months pregnant when she goes in. Who decides what happens to the baby and does the inmate have any say in it at all? Also, who covers the cost of the procedure? tax payers I would assume...
Difficult issue indeed.
shadow%20of%20mother%20baby%20behind%20bars.jpg

The baby is born in the prison hospital. If there are no family members who will care for the child, it goes into foster care.

The extra expenses are for prenatal and postnatal care. It's a hospital after all even if it is in a prison.

Say a woman has a 5 year sentence and she is 6 months pregnant when she goes in. Who decides what happens to the baby and does the inmate have any say in it at all? Also, who covers the cost of the procedure? tax payers I would assume...
Difficult issue indeed.
shadow%20of%20mother%20baby%20behind%20bars.jpg

Depends on why ya talk to...

If ya talk to the Left... they live excruciatingly exquisite lives, happy and carefree, far from the toil and worry of those born to heterosexual Christians.

Much like the heavy drinking, coke snorting, pot smokers... who are all holders of multiple degrees, living large on their high-paying salaries and of course the bounty of their over-performing portfolios, who've never suffered from the chronic anxiety, procrastination and paranoia that the RIGHT WING HEAD-SHRINKERS claim is otherwise unavoidable from a life consumed by such... .

As of May 2013, nine states have prison nurseries in the United States New York, Nebraska, Washington, Ohio, Indiana, South Dakota, Illinois, West Virginia, and Wyoming
From Wiki
I almost see that as preferable. The bonding needed by both is allowed to happen. Parenting skills can be monitored and taught, as well as life skills for success in raising a child responsibly. If they can't cope, they know to remove the child.

I would also assume if it is successful, the life of the child is enhanced, and the cost to society is lessened as well.

tough situation. The baby will go to the father or next of kin. If there isn't any next of kin, then it'll become a ward of the court, and go into the government's care. The prison doctor would deliver the baby. Is there anything to do more?

Forum List

Back