what generation am I?

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
What would you call my generation? I'm 21, too young to be a part of Generation X. Does my generation have a hip moniker? I've heard Generation Y, but that's stupid.

Dan said:
What would you call my generation? I'm 21, too young to be a part of Generation X. Does my generation have a hip moniker? I've heard Generation Y, but that's stupid.
I actually think that's the official lable.

I have heard it described this way...Gen x born 1965 to 1975
Gen y 1975 to 1985 (and named that because it was the logical marketing progression from Generation X which was a complete break from the Baby Boomers generation.

Pick out your own identity, and run with it!

I guess technically, now that I think about it, all these things are just lame labelling techniques and marketing tools, so I shouldn't really want any of it anyway.

Dan said:
I guess technically, now that I think about it, all these things are just lame labelling techniques and marketing tools, so I shouldn't really want any of it anyway.
There ya go Dan! Nothing wrong with being...Dan.

Dan said:

Sorry dude, you're stuck with Generation Y. I certainly never asked for Generation X, just woke up one day and found out I was smack dab in the middle of it with someone telling me what I liked and who my heroes were. I just gave them the finger and went about my own very un-x like business.

Generations are usually defined by about 20-25 year time periods. The Baby boomers are generally acknowlegded to be those born from 1945-1965. Gen X (mine) are the children of the Baby Boomers, being born from roughly 1965-1980, though I would extend it to 1985. This whole 'generations are 10 years long' crap is, IMO, made up by marketing types.

But to answer your question Dan, I have heard Generation Y most often, followed by the "Nintendo Generation."

Ours has been officially labeled the "Millenial Generation," as the first of us are entering the real world at the start of this millenium. The first wave of millenials graduated high school in 2000.

Forum List

Back