What exactly have Liberals done for us?

I'm reading this, and I can't believe no has challenged the individual assertions of the main post. In fact, many Democrats were THE loudest and most vociferous voices AGAINST the abolition of slavery.

Would anyone here rather have a government pension, or Social Security? Remember, there are millions of government workers today from many states, and even some left in federal government hired before 1983, who do not pay into Social Security today, and never will either.

See my post on the last page.

Civil War era Republicans were Liberals.

Actually they would still have been the conservatives of the time, though they certainly do mostly resemble the "liberals" of today.

Of course, classic liberalism the was in vouge in the 19th century and before was a great thing, the modern version is a not.
The modern version is not even really liberal in ideology, but collectivist statism

Yep, as much as modern Libertarianism is Anarchism, I guess...

And modern Conservatism is Corporate Oligarchism.

But hey, we could go on with the Hyperbole all night.

There doesn't need to be a market for air because it's all around us. As for water, I believe the bottled water industry does fairly well.

The WMF has sold the water in many third world nations to corporations, when those countries couldn't pay their debts.

Now the populations of those countries have to buy all of their water from those corporations.

Actually they would still have been the conservatives of the time, though they certainly do mostly resemble the "liberals" of today.

Being anti-slavery would have been a "Liberal" idea. Keeping things as they were would have been a "Conservative" idea.

Being anti-slavery would have been a "Liberal" idea. Keeping things as they were would have been a "Conservative" idea.

States' rights and secession are liberal ideas, however. Conservatism was originally a statist philosophy, which is what Lincoln and the Republicans would have been known as. Opposition to slavery wasn't necessary a liberal or a conservative position at the time, because there were many on both sides that believed in slavery and many on both sides that opposed it. It simply appears that Republicans were opposed to slavery because they were opposed to the expansion of slavery, and Lincoln used the issue to try to harm the Confederacy during the Civil War.

It's not hyperbole, it's accuracy. The modern leftist 'liberals' in the US forward no truly ideologically liberal concepts

No sir, that is your personal interpretation of what modern Liberals believe.

It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the facts.

In the most basic sense, a "liberal" ideology is one that favors change and revolutionary ideas,

Whereas a "conservative" ideology is one that favors keeping to the status-quo.

Therefore, over the years, the meaning of the words have changed many times.

Liberals do not do things for us. They do things to us!

Oh really?

40 hour week
Child labor laws
equal rights in the workplace
civil rights
gay rights

What did that do TO you?
Gays deserve no special rights whatsoever. They are nothing more than immoral, disgusting pigs. The only right they deserve is a place in the closet where the disgusting bastards belong, PERIOD!

"The [lady/gentleman] doth protest too much, me thinks..."

" If you get sick, that's your problem, and in no way my concern."

You should try and get that into the Republican party platform.

Oh wait!

:clap2: Don't you wonder how old these people are who post such ME ME ME ME and MORE OF ME unAmerican junk? This guy says he has a wife and kids and lives in Malibu (with an exclamation point). Interesting. I used to live in Malibu and don't recall any cave dwellers living there at the time.

That's vastly over-exaggerating. Of course there was a market, it just contracted. Which was necessary to reallocate resources into more productive sectors due to the misallocation caused by the Federal Reserve.

Are you nuts? What did the Federal Reserve have to do with bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers? The feds weren't even called in until within a matter of 48 hours, someone discovered that LB had no capital to cover massive losses. That was the fault of the Federal Reserve how? It had NOTHING to do with credit default swaps going on internally within those failed financial institutions for years.

It was the Fed's policy of low interest rates that made the housing bubble and all the consequences of that possible.

So the banks and insurance companies with their internal wheeling and dealing with credit default switcharoos which turned out to be all fake were not responsible at all? The housing crash was simply the catalyst to the discovery of what they were up to. SOMEBODY within the private financial sector should have known that all these securities being used to capitalize were made up of bad, worthless mortgages.

In the most basic sense, a "liberal" ideology is one that favors change and revolutionary ideas,

Whereas a "conservative" ideology is one that favors keeping to the status-quo.

Therefore, over the years, the meaning of the words have changed many times.
The first half of your post is incorrect. Liberalism revolves around the concept of personal liberty and is a rejection of all forms of tyranny, including collectivist statism. Civil rights, limited government, the rights or labourers- they fall under the concept of person freedom and liberty, that is why they are fundamental concepts in liberal ideologies.

The most extreme form of liberal ideology, of course, true anarchism. Any form of collectivism or oppressive government (of any form) runs contrary to liberal principles.

Conservatism is and was no ideology. Conservatism is merely reactionism and can be found in any ideology or party that fears losing power and influence

Exactly. I usually define conservative ideology as being "what if" and liberal ideology as being "what is."

liberal intellect in action

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xldzMVL6Iqk&feature=related]YouTube - Protest Warrior[/ame]

5:04 - 5:31

:eusa_whistle:

Conservatism is and was no ideology. Conservatism is merely reactionism and can be found in any ideology or party that fears losing power and influence

Exactly. I usually define conservative ideology as being "what if" and liberal ideology as being "what is."

I think you have that reversed

1. Fought for the rights of the individual against a monarchy. Wrote our Declaration of Independence and Constitution...."All men are created equal"
2. Fought for the abolition of Slavery
3. Fought for worker rights.....40 hour workweek, safe workplace, child labor laws
4. Fought for our environment
5. Fought for a womans right to vote
6. Fought for Civil Rights
7. Fought for Gay rights
8. Fought for womens equality in the workplace
9. Social Security, Medicare, Medicade

It should be noted that conservatives fought against every one of these initiatives

Come on conservatives...
Chime in with your great contributions over the last 200+ years
There must be one?????

1. Fought for the rights of the individual against a monarchy. Wrote our Declaration of Independence and Constitution...."All men are created equal"
2. Fought for the abolition of Slavery
3. Fought for worker rights.....40 hour workweek, safe workplace, child labor laws
4. Fought for our environment
5. Fought for a womans right to vote
6. Fought for Civil Rights
7. Fought for Gay rights
8. Fought for womens equality in the workplace
9. Social Security, Medicare, Medicade

It should be noted that conservatives fought against every one of these initiatives

Come on conservatives...
Chime in with your great contributions over the last 200+ years
There must be one?????

just make up shit like you do everything else.

Forum List

Back