What do you think UFO's are??

KarlMarx said:
Well, OK.... I could preface the posts with "according to current scientific knowledge..."

Still however, even when laws of science and physics have been revised, the old laws they revised still applied. For instance, Newton's Laws of Motion have not yet been repealed even though Einstein discovered Relativity.

We may find that time travel is possible, but it might require conditions that would make it impractical. Similarly, we may find that going faster than the speed of light is possible but again, not practical.

(As an aside, scientists have theorized that there is a family of particles that actually DO go faster than the speed of light.... they are called "tachyons". However, they have never been observed. The strange thing about tachyons is that they can't go SLOWER than the speed of light.... it's because they have "imaginary" mass. "Imaginary" numbers are those numbers that are multiples of the square root of negative one. If you try to take the square root of a negative number on a calculator, you'll get an error. However, imaginary numbers are used quite a bit in theoretical physics.)

So basically we are talking theory and hypotheticals as tachyons have never actually been observed or quantified?

Is there any scientific proof that time travel is doable or is that all conjecture and theory as well. I have heard about the theory of bending time or looping time by going at certain unattainable speeds.

i say, "sit back, smoke a joint and travel to a nice quiet place within your own mind". That is all the time travel I need! :cool:

Bonnie said:
So basically we are talking theory and hypotheticals as tachyons have never actually been observed or quantified?

Is there any scientific proof that time travel is doable or is that all conjecture and theory as well. I have heard about the theory of bending time or looping time by going at certain unattainable speeds.

However there are quarks that actually travel between two points without passing through the intervening space. Those have been observed. It is where the words Quantum Leap actually come from.

Bonnie said:

Time travel --- no, there isn't any proof. However, the prediction that time slows down as velocity increases (per the Theory of Relativity) has been proven scientifically. The Theory of Relativity also has predicted that space warps around massive bodies as well (this phenomenon is known as "gravitational lensing"), this also has been observed.

I should add that not only have the phenomena predicted by the Theory of Relativity been observed but by the amount predicted as well.

In addition, the Theory of Relativity predicted Black Holes years before they were discovered.

One of the ways that these theories are confirmed is by scientific observation. That is why esoteric theories such as String Theory were developed, in order to explain observed phenomenon.

The same thing is true of the theory of Relativity. Scientists were unable to explain certain observed phenomenon, the Theory of Relativity was developed afterwards.

no1tovote4 said:
However there are quarks that actually travel between two points without passing through the intervening space. Those have been observed. It is where the words Quantum Leap actually come from.
Yes, at very small distances, the effects of quantum mechanics is more pronounced. However...... quantum physics only apply to extremely small distances.

Perhaps someday it may be possible to get matter to act in a quantum mechanical way at large distances.

KarlMarx said:
Yes, at very small distances, the effects of quantum mechanics is more pronounced. However...... quantum physics only apply to extremely small distances.

Perhaps someday it may be possible to get matter to act in a quantum mechanical way at large distances.

It would depend on how successful the string theory is.

I still think it is likely that there is still a whole new line of science that we simply haven't yet thought to look into, or attempted to find matching mathematical equations for that will probably allow travel at high speeds.

CivilLiberty said:
UFO's are the result of sunlight reflecting off the surface of people's aluminum foil hats.

No, Libby, I think they're actually part of the vast right-wing conspiracy... :D

I think UFO's, Big Foot, Yeti's, and Chubacabras, are all the same.............fantasy, and hopeful thinking.

Regards, Eightballsidepocket

For those who have an interest in this subject, ABC will be airing a two-hour program this Thursday evening on UFO's focusing on updated information about sightings/investigations. The program was produced by Peter Jennings' company, and he will be the moderator.

TheEnemyWithin said:
Unidentified Flying Objects do exist...that is, until they are identified...:D

Now this is the only logical answer to this question :cool:

Mr. P said:
Yes, yes, yes! that's what I remember...the need for more dimensions and how so many
poo-poo the theory do to that..*brushing my cobwebs away a bit*

I don't have as much a problem with the extra dimensions, since they are all wound up tightly and too small for us to perceive.

The problem I have is the idea that gravity is a weak force because it "leaks out" into parallel universes on other membranes.

A

"Schrodinger's cat plays with string theory, film at 11, 14, 9, 22, 4..."

Bonnie said:
I have my own theory but Id like to hear what you all think???

My theory is that Alien Teenagers joyride in their parent's vehicles. They drop by backwater worlds where PCs are still all the rage and people still use digital watches. They swoop in on unsuspecting hicks that they know nobody will believe. Sometimes they only have the rocks to just fly by, sometimes they have enough to stop and walk around, but the really courageous of them kill cattle from the inside out and steal people to perform fake "experiments" on them. They then drop them back off where they got them with a temporary memory shield on them so that they will remember and tell others about their experience. They then sit around and watch all the films about how their vehicles don't exist. These Aliens find this highly amusing, but by that time they have run out of beer and have to get the vehicle back to the garage.....

Did you catch Peter Jenning's Special Report "Seeing is Believing" last night? It was interesting.

Forum List

Back