What do you think of this idea?; can you find anything bad about it?

Anonymous1977

(NOT AFFILIATED WITH GROUP CALLED, "ANONYMOUS")
Nov 7, 2014
האי שלי
Greetings,

...I just caught a glimpse of a commercial on TV and if I saw it correctly, the commercial said that 20% of young girls are victims of sexual abuse.

I think that if schools (elementary, middle, and high schools) had trained personnel (perhaps guidance counselors could do it) who talked with school students twice a year to see how things are going in their homes, more young people would be protected from abuse by Adults.

Is this a good idea do you think, having guidance counselors talk to school students twice a year to see if their home life is OK?

Anonymous1977

It is a HUGE - GIANT - MASSIVE - MONUMENTALLY - bad idea.
I don't even think it needs explanation.

What's bad about it?...done right by people trained to do it right, IT WOULD SAVE YOUNG GIRLS FROM BEING SEXUALLY ABUSED & STOP ADULT PREDATORS WHO PREY ON CHILDREN...

It's bad enough how even the doctors have become squealers to the state about when your child visits the doctor office....and asking if you have fire arms in the house.....they didn't get an answer from myself or my child...You do not have to divulge info to anyone if don't want..If you do want their are places to go to and people to see if you are having abuse issues......

Considering there are so many educators diddling the kiddies it sounds like a horrible idea

It's bad enough how even the doctors have become squealers to the state about when your child visits the doctor office....and asking if you have fire arms in the house.....they didn't get an answer from myself or my child...You do not have to divulge info to anyone if don't want..If you do want their are places to go to and people to see if you are having abuse issues......

Children don't always know what to do when they are being abused. Who is going to help a child being sexually abused at home that doesn't know what to do about the abuse?

Should we just let children be victimized by adult predators? If not, how do we help them?

Children don't always know what to do when they are being abused. Who is going to help a child being sexually abused at home that doesn't know what to do about the abuse?

Should we just let children be victimized by adult predators? If not, how do we help them?
There are hot lines for them to call, counselors are always available to listen and cops to arrest....

And what would you do about the counselor that called CPS and tell them little Jane said nothing is going on at home, but I don't believe her. How will you make it up to the innocent people who have their lives turned upside down by some do gooder?

And what would you do about the counselor that called CPS and tell them little Jane said nothing is going on at home, but I don't believe her. How will you make it up to the innocent people who have their lives turned upside down by some do gooder?

Therein lies the problem. A single mistaken or false accusation can totally ruin a family's life. There is little or no presumption of innocence.

There are hot lines for them to call, counselors are always available to listen and cops to arrest....

Children don't always know what to do...they are not necessarily capable of fending for themselves, knowing what to do & being capable of doing it when they are being abused...

Greetings,

...I just caught a glimpse of a commercial on TV and if I saw it correctly, the commercial said that 20% of young girls are victims of sexual abuse.

I think that if schools (elementary, middle, and high schools) had trained personnel (perhaps guidance counselors could do it) who talked with school students twice a year to see how things are going in their homes, more young people would be protected from abuse by Adults.

Is this a good idea do you think, having guidance counselors talk to school students twice a year to see if their home life is OK?

Anonymous1977

Dear Anonymous:

I think your idea is right on track.

I foresee conflict resolution training and intervention assistance
to prevent "relationship abuse, harassment and bullying"
at all levels of education for students and parents. Of course,
the same approach would also identify any other abuse issues (sexual abuse, drug abuse, etc.).

When it is organized and developed by the community working together,
it is not misused as anyone trying to target or police others.
Successful sustainable programs are about a community or school district committing
to means of helping each other address conflicts and stopping abuses as they surface.

I encourage you to follow up on this idea!

Find out what civics or school/nonprofit groups in your area
already have programs and relationships between schools and parents/community.
And work with the given relations and programs to develop this idea together.

By forming a team, you should be able to get grants behind it,
or work with local universities to find grad student or interns who
can help you as part of course credits to get a program started.

Here are some models you can look at to form your own:
Rachel s Challenge
Peer support - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
AVP USA Inc. For Youth
Youth Programs The Center for Nonviolent Communication
NOMORE.org Together we can end domestic violence and sexual assault. Home - NOMORE.org Together we can end domestic violence and sexual assault.

Cops investigate crimes all the time; who said someone's life is necessarily going to be turned upside down because a crime is being investigated. Investigated with established procedures, no one's life has to necessarily be turned upside down and children may be being saved from sexual abuse.

Considering there are so many educators diddling the kiddies it sounds like a horrible idea

Dear SassyIrishLass the way this problem gets outted is when children are taught that it isn't okay to be touched in their "bikini areas" or for adults to tell them to keep it a secret.

When the children, parents, community, students and teachers are all educated on a process for how to handle any such contact or abuse, it is less likely to go on.

What I would also add is a resource to refer to people who need help with a sexual addiction or abuse problem they can't control. When people have signs of diabetes or cancer, they are urged to get tested and get treatment.
Where is the help for someone with a drug or sex abuse/addiction issue? Do we let such people run around free until someone innocent gets hurt? Got to be a better way to identify health/safety risks and problems, and get help BEFORE damage is done.

Therein lies the problem. A single mistaken or false accusation can totally ruin a family's life. There is little or no presumption of innocence.

An investigation done with well established procedures that protect all concerned parties would protect anyone involved from being hurt AND WE WOULD BE STOPPING SEXUAL ABUSE OF YOUNG GIRLS

Dear SassyIrishLass the way this problem gets outted is when children are taught that it isn't okay to be touched in their "bikini areas" or for adults to tell them to keep it a secret.

When the children, parents, community, students and teachers are all educated on a process for how to handle any such contact or abuse, it is less likely to go on.

What I would also add is a resource to refer to people who need help with a sexual addiction or abuse problem they can't control. When people have signs of diabetes or cancer, they are urged to get tested and get treatment.
Where is the help for someone with a drug or sex abuse/addiction issue? Do we let such people run around free until someone innocent gets hurt? Got to be a better way to identify health/safety risks and problems, and get help BEFORE damage is done.

Our children know what to do if anyone touches them, they don't need this. Maybe some children do but if a child has a stable home life they are prepared for when a pervert attempts anything

Children don't always know what to do...they are not necessarily capable of fending for themselves, knowing what to do & being capable of doing it when they are being abused...
Believe me, awareness and places for kids to go to are 100 times better than when I was a kid in the 1960's when it happened to me....The schools already have counselors and direct access to uniformed police officers at schools.....All the kid has to do is reach out...I understand they be scarred or humiliated in their position,,but help is there and waiting..The best thing to do is educate kids of what to do when it happens...Parents can help 100% by doing this with their kids also..I did.............

Dear Moonglow

That's why it is important to involve the entire community in how such a counseling program is set up and works.
You don't want punitive approaches to become like profiling or accusing people as guilty until proven innocent.
Even mentioning a complaint of harassment against a teacher or abuse by an adult can cause permanent damage to personal or professional reputation.

Also I would set up resources and access to medical/mental treatment for people with a serious risk or history of predatory type criminal illness. That shouldn't be unchecked or untreated. If this were treated seriously, like a dangerous disease, with a program to refer to for help, more people would receive assistance instead of waiting until after criminal abuses to find out.

Forum List

Back