What do you think of an employer that does this?

It's not the company's fault that she is unable to perform her job.

Too bad for her. I hope she recovers.

Life is unfair.

Boo....hoo.....

When you applied for the job what answer did she give to the question "is there any problems that may prevent you from doing your job?" If she answered no, she lied and should be fired.

My niece has developed problems with her gall bladder, and has missed days at her new job (she has been in very bad shape). The place where she has been working has a policy of no missed days for the first six months (a common probationary period). A couple of days ago she was in such bad shape that she was admitted to the hospital for further testing. She was released after a day, but her doctor had scheduled her to have surgery. He also wrote her a note for her work. She called her manager to tell him that she had a note from her doctor but that she would try to come in if it meant keeping her job. He told her that HR had already fired her. She called HR and they said the manager had fired her. Now she not only doesn't have a job, she has no insurance and is facing an expensive operation and convalescence, and still has a family with three children to raise.

I think that any employer that does this to its employees, particularly one like her that they admitted was a good worker, is dastardly and not worth working for. So my question is should employers be allowed to do this to new employees?
this is what happens in non-union places....sorry to say Oro,but if the company has a policy about attendance,than thats the policy,its fucked up of them since this is somewhat different than just calling in saying you dont feel good.....but 90% of the companies out there can care less about the welfare of its employees,something happens to you,tough shit.....they expect loyalty from you but they dont feel they need to return any....i delivered mail for 33 years and have heard this story hundreds of times over the years from people on the route....

Sometimes I feel like I am living in a third world country.

My niece has developed problems with her gall bladder, and has missed days at her new job (she has been in very bad shape). The place where she has been working has a policy of no missed days for the first six months (a common probationary period). A couple of days ago she was in such bad shape that she was admitted to the hospital for further testing. She was released after a day, but her doctor had scheduled her to have surgery. He also wrote her a note for her work. She called her manager to tell him that she had a note from her doctor but that she would try to come in if it meant keeping her job. He told her that HR had already fired her. She called HR and they said the manager had fired her. Now she not only doesn't have a job, she has no insurance and is facing an expensive operation and convalescence, and still has a family with three children to raise.

I think that any employer that does this to its employees, particularly one like her that they admitted was a good worker, is dastardly and not worth working for. So my question is should employers be allowed to do this to new employees?

I would be very surprised if an employer did that to a good employee.
Hell,I started pretty much every job I ever had with a weeks vacation after two months.
You just tell em you have a trip planned and paid for and they'll always let you have it...assuming after two months you've proven your worth.

It happens. Trust me. This isn't the first time I've seen it happen. And she could hardly have been able to do what you suggest since the illness was not planned in advance. How could it be?

The far right would make it a third world country labor wise if they could.

The niece needs to go Legal Aid.

this is what happens in non-union places....sorry to say Oro,but if the company has a policy about attendance,than thats the policy,its fucked up of them since this is somewhat different than just calling in saying you dont feel good.....but 90% of the companies out there can care less about the welfare of its employees,something happens to you,tough shit.....they expect loyalty from you but they dont feel they need to return any....i delivered mail for 33 years and have heard this story hundreds of times over the years from people on the route....

What a load of horseshit.
If you're any good at what you do they arent going to fire you.

They can and do. In many states, an employer doesn't need a reason to can your arse. They just can't openly violate your civil rights when they do. But there are always ways to get around that, unfortunately.

I would be very surprised if an employer did that to a good employee.
Hell,I started pretty much every job I ever had with a weeks vacation after two months.
You just tell em you have a trip planned and paid for and they'll always let you have it...assuming after two months you've proven your worth.

It happens. Trust me. This isn't the first time I've seen it happen. And she could hardly have been able to do what you suggest since the illness was not planned in advance. How could it be?

Not knowing anything about the type of job,your niece or the company I can only go by my own experience.

It's not the company's fault that she is unable to perform her job.

Too bad for her. I hope she recovers.

Life is unfair.

Boo....hoo.....

Zander, you are well known for your flame posts. Please stop.

We don't know the whole story, but we know the brutal labor policies companies have developed in the last 35 years.

When you applied for the job what answer did she give to the question "is there any problems that may prevent you from doing your job?" If she answered no, she lied and should be fired.

What do I have to do to get you people to understand that she has worked there for a couple of months and in the past couple of weeks developed acute gall bladder problems that requires surgical removal. So in past couple of weeks she has missed work due to severe pain and doctors' appointments. How the hell was she to know that this was going to happen to her when she applied for the job? Using your logic, a person should be fired because they had a heart attack and should have known in advance that they were going to have one. Jeez.

Six months probation? That's weird, it's usually 90 days. Sucks about her gallbladder but she took the job knowing that there was a probationary period. She can not fulfill her end of the commitment, tough break.

Stop with the bleeding heart shit, she can sign up for obamacare insurance under the exception rule.

Is she sure she needs it removed? I had gallstones and they insisted I have my gallbladder removed. The stones passed (yes, it is extremely painful but tylenol w/codeine was very effective in relieving the pain). I held off on surgery. That was ten years ago, not a problem since then.

Six months probation? That's weird, it's usually 90 days. Sucks about her gallbladder but she took the job knowing that there was a probationary period. She can not fulfill her end of the commitment, tough break.

Stop with the bleeding heart shit, she can sign up for obamacare insurance under the exception rule.

Is she sure she needs it removed? I had gallstones and they insisted I have my gallbladder removed. The stones passed (yes, it is extremely painful but tylenol w/codeine was very effective in relieving the pain). I held off on surgery. That was ten years ago, not a problem since then.

Yes. The surgery is already scheduled for early next week.

As for fulfilling her commitment, she was already fully committed to her job. Until she got sick, everything was going well. She just needed some time to take care of an acute and unexpected medical condition. And she was fully committed to returning when she got well.

I've had a job before that had a six month probationary period so it isn't that unusual.

As for fulfilling her commitment, she was already fully committed to her job. Until she got sick, everything was going well. She just needed some time to take care of an acute and unexpected medical condition. And she was fully committed to returning when she got well.

I've had a job before that had a six month probationary period so it isn't that unusual.

She failed to fulfill her end of the commitment because she missed work due to her illness. Those are the company rules, she knew it going in to the job, she cannot be surprised that they fired her. Does it suck? Yes. What is the company suppose to do with her work while she is out? What if there are complications from surgery, how long are they suppose to hold her job?

Companies do not give a flying fuck about their employees, people should stop expecting them to care. They used to but no more. We are all just cogs in the wheel.

She failed to fulfill her end of the commitment because she missed work due to her illness. Those are the company rules, she knew it going in to the job, she cannot be surprised that they fired her. Does it suck? Yes. What is the company suppose to do with her work while she is out? What if there are complications from surgery, how long are they suppose to hold her job?

Companies do not give a flying fuck about their employees, people should stop expecting them to care. They used to but no more. We are all just cogs in the wheel.

We should rejoice that employers suck at being employers? Now I remember why I feel like I live in a third world country. So much for this being the greatest country in the world.

She is very sick due to no fault of her own. Are they going to fire every employee that gets sick before their probation is over? The company could have done what they do for employees that have been there for a longer period of time, and given her some slack. It's the right thing to do. After all, it costs far more to replace an employee than it is to try to keep one that wants to work. What they did is bad business.

We should rejoice that employers suck at being employers? Now I remember why I feel like I live in a third world country. So much for this being the greatest country in the world.

She is very sick due to no fault of her own. Are they going to fire every employee that gets sick before their probation is over? The company could have done what they do for employees that have been there for a longer period of time, and given her some slack. It's the right thing to do. After all, it costs far more to replace an employee than it is to try to keep one that wants to work. What they did is bad business.

The employers need a warm body to perform a job and she is not there to perform the job. Sucks that her illness fell within the probationary period but such is life.

Yes, they probably will fire anyone who misses too much work during their probationary period. They employ these people to perform a job, they are unable to perform the job. How long are they suppose to hold her job? How much work did she miss before they fired her? She hasn't been there long enough to be hard to replace, which is likely part of the reason they fired her. They have no idea how long she will be out, if she will have issues or further problems.

Again, is she sure she needs to have her g/b removed? I'd get a second opinion. Then again, surgeons like to cut so if a second or third opinion is from a surgeon they may all say the same thing.

Last edited:

No. Tell her to find a lawyer.

Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend she get a second opinion about the Gall BLadder. Docs are lazy. And cheap. Instead of removing the stone or whatever is causing her problems, they remove the gall bladder and say that organ is not necessary. Um. YES IT IS. They took mine out. Now I don't go ANYWHERE without a porta potty in my car or knowing EXACTLY where the nearest bathroom is, and I always carry extra clothes in case I don't make it in time.

Read this. And believe 95% of it. Once that GB is gone....shit happens. Literally.

Find a doc that will find another remedy instead of removing the organ itself.

Google

The employers need a warm body to perform a job and she is not there to perform the job. Sucks that her illness fell within the probationary period but such is life.

It's a friggin bank. They can afford to move their schedules around to accommodate sick employees. She missed four days over two weeks due to severe abdominal and chest pain and not being able to hold anything down. She was also severely dehydrated.

Forum List

Back