Are Americans actually so fat?

suplex3000

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2014
Georgia
Personally I don't like this stereotype.
Have you ever compare us with other nations? IS it really true?
One idea of mine: Poorer people have to buy cheaper food. Cheap food tends to be more fattening and unhealthy than more expensive alternatives.
In a society in which time and money are king, it's no surprise that fast food is also king.
May we blame fast food as usual?

SO, how fat are you?
fat-america-girl.jpg

One idea of mine: Poorer people have to buy cheaper food. Cheap food tends to be more fattening and unhealthy than more expensive alternatives.
In a society in which time and money are king, it's no surprise that fast food is also king.

SO, how fat are you?
fat-america-girl.jpg
Damn ........ I promised her that no one would see that picture but me ............... how did you get your hands on it? ............ she's going to swear that I broke my word and passed it around on the internet ........... oh shit .. I just remembered ........... I sold that computer without erasing the hard drive first .............. Willis, did you post that picture on the internet? ................ damn you ... now I'm in deep do-do ............... I'll get even with you Willis, if it's the last thing I do ........... Bunny is going to fry me over that picture ... ..... man, I thought we were tight bro ... we was friends ........... now look what you've gone and done to me ....... shit man ........... damn bro ................

SO, how fat are you?
fat-america-girl.jpg

Yeah, we are. Take a trip to Europe and it strikes you right away. "Wow, everybody's so skinny --- oh wait..."

Americans are fat. Our society is morbidly obese and out of shape. We are not great.

SO, how fat are you?
fat-america-girl.jpg
You're looking at 99.9999999999999999999999% body fat...excluding toenails and fingernails.

I have a surprisingly high BMI 27 for a marathon runner, but I don't think I'm fat. I would like to be thinner especially when I see the guys running around me that look like pencils with clothes on.

It's not just fast food but processed food as well. The more food is processed, the more nutrients are lost.

People with low incomes eat a lot of high fat foods because they are cheap and take longer to digest, making them feel full, but providing few nutrients. It is possible to be both obese and malnourished.

The best food in terms of nutritional value, is raw and fresh. The best meals are made from fresh ingredients, at home but working poor families don't have the time or resources to prepare them.

Big food spends a lot of money advertising convenience foods. They're cheaper and faster and full of fat, salt and preservatives. This is why Americans are so fat.

I'm vegetarian for almost a decade and have no fat and no problems associated with food.

The best food in terms of nutritional value, is raw and fresh. The best meals are made from fresh ingredients, at home but working poor families don't have the time or resources to prepare them.
What's about meat, fish and poultry? Fresh meat is what our ancestors used to eat long before Christ.

It's not just fast food but processed food as well. The more food is processed, the more nutrients are lost.

People with low incomes eat a lot of high fat foods because they are cheap and take longer to digest, making them feel full, but providing few nutrients. It is possible to be both obese and malnourished.

Big food spends a lot of money advertising convenience foods. They're cheaper and faster and full of fat, salt and preservatives. This is why Americans are so fat.
LOL. You must have the will power of a tape worm. Lots of folks, like myself, are not fat and we see the same ads.

Also, we used to have to pay to go to the circus and see what is readily available on scooters in supermarkets today. They're too poor to buy quality food but they can load up the cart with candy food and frozen dinners? It's actually cheaper to bypass the packaged foods.

People are fat because they are lazy and glutenous. A food company would be stupid to not feed their habits.

I don't eat fast food. We eat all organic, and prepared at home. When we go out to eat, we go to family restaurants that serve real food, prepared in their own kitchens.

But advertising works. Companies wouldn't spend millions of $$ on television ads for fast food, if they didn't work.

I don't eat fast food. We eat all organic, and prepared at home. When we go out to eat, we go to family restaurants that serve real food, prepared in their own kitchens.

But advertising works. Companies wouldn't spend millions of $$ on television ads for fast food, if they didn't work.
Of course it works. But you saw the ads and decided no. Everyone has that option. If healthier foods are in more demand you'll see them market that more, and they are. People want the junk food though so there's long lines at the fast food joints. It's where the money is.

No, they don't. If you're running between two of three jobs just to pay the bills, you don't have the time. Quality food stores are not always available in poor neighbourhoods, and good food is not cheap. It's shocking how few people can cook these days.

My youngest daughter's friends used to complain there was nothing to eat at our house - no pizza pockets, no pop tarts, no chips, and no pop. The idea of snacking on fresh grapes, apples, oranges or bananas was just yuck. They had no idea what leftovers are. They had never seen a fridge that looked like ours.

Our idea of "fast food" was to make up big batches of stew, chilli, or pasta sauce on the weekend so that when we came home from work tired and hungry, we could get something to eat that was healthy and quick. But we had a farmers' market a short drive from our house where we could get fresh produce and meat at very reasonable prices, and our habit of making big batches of whatever we were having saved us both time and money. Not everyone is so fortunate.

In the 80s the standards were changed. Millions of people went to bed at normal weight or underweight and woke up obese because of the changed standards.

We have imported millions of people who are genetically predisposed to carry extra fat layers.

Poor people are more likely to eat poorly. Not because they can't afford to eat better, but because this is the way they treat themselves. They can't afford a vacation to Europe, but they can afford a snickers bar. They can't afford to put a steak on the table, but a bag of chips is in the budget. Meals are prepared with "stretchers" pasta, rice, potatoes. Anything that can take a little bit of meat and vegetables and turn that into a meal for six people. Consequently, there really aren't a lot of leftovers to provide healthy snacks.

Being outside is too dangerous in cities. Children can not run around like they used to. Playing with other children are enforced by play dates, inside, or at a play area like Gymboree, for those that can afford it. For the rest, families will provide computer games. They have to. It's essential.

The answer to the questions is no, Americans aren't fat.

No, they don't. If you're running between two of three jobs just to pay the bills, you don't have the time. Quality food stores are not always available in poor neighbourhoods, and good food is not cheap. It's shocking how few people can cook these days.

My youngest daughter's friends used to complain there was nothing to eat at our house - no pizza pockets, no pop tarts, no chips, and no pop. The idea of snacking on fresh grapes, apples, oranges or bananas was just yuck. They had no idea what leftovers are. They had never seen a fridge that looked like ours.

Our idea of "fast food" was to make up big batches of stew, chilli, or pasta sauce on the weekend so that when we came home from work tired and hungry, we could get something to eat that was healthy and quick. But we had a farmers' market a short drive from our house where we could get fresh produce and meat at very reasonable prices, and our habit of making big batches of whatever we were having saved us both time and money. Not everyone is so fortunate.
It's not a conspiracy. If people in poor neighborhoods bought whole foods someone would be selling whole foods. You're stuck in a victim mentality, exactly like those poor folks.

Quality foods can be had for about the same or less than what people spend on garbage. If you don't know that you don't know what you're talking about. Eating out is expensive, if you do it everyday that's a LOT of money.

Brown rice and beans are CHEAP! And very wholesome. Buy spinach in bulk and a few veggies and you can eat all week for less than 3 fast food meals. PLUS the medical and pharmacy expenses down the road will save a fortune. You're giving out bad information and it's that, more than ads that enable poor eating habits.

Forum List

Back