What do you think of an employer that does this?

I know what a gall bladder attack feels like. It HURTS. And I have a VERY high tolerance for pain. I landed in ER a couple of times thinking it was a heart attack. It was a gall stone. A BIG one. And if I had known what NO GALL BLADDER meant once it was removed, I would have insisted they remove the stone and keep the bladder. But I didn't know. I do now. Too bad its too late.

Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend she get a second opinion about the Gall BLadder. Docs are lazy. And cheap. Instead of removing the stone or whatever is causing her problems, they remove the gall bladder and say that organ is not necessary. Um. YES IT IS. They took mine out. Now I don't go ANYWHERE without a porta potty in my car or knowing EXACTLY where the nearest bathroom is, and I always carry extra clothes in case I don't make it in time.

Read this. And believe 95% of it. Once that GB is gone....shit happens. Literally.

Find a doc that will find another remedy instead of removing the organ itself.

Google

Thanks for the advice, Gracie. I understand that because my step daughter had hers removed. My fear is that my niece's gallbladder could be cancerous. We won't know until they perform a biopsy.

As much fun as this "evil corporations" fantasy bullshit is for the LWNJ's, it's time for a reality check.

I am an employer. If I had a great employee that needed time off for a personal emergency, I'd hold the job for them. In fact. I'd bend over backwards to help in any way I could for a great employee. AND ANY OTHER EMPLOYER WOULD TOO!

Most likely, this gal is just an average or below average employee and as such, she's easily replaceable.

What type off work was she doing?

My niece has developed problems with her gall bladder, and has missed days at her new job (she has been in very bad shape). The place where she has been working has a policy of no missed days for the first six months (a common probationary period). A couple of days ago she was in such bad shape that she was admitted to the hospital for further testing. She was released after a day, but her doctor had scheduled her to have surgery. He also wrote her a note for her work. She called her manager to tell him that she had a note from her doctor but that she would try to come in if it meant keeping her job. He told her that HR had already fired her. She called HR and they said the manager had fired her. Now she not only doesn't have a job, she has no insurance and is facing an expensive operation and convalescence, and still has a family with three children to raise.

I think that any employer that does this to its employees, particularly one like her that they admitted was a good worker, is dastardly and not worth working for. So my question is should employers be allowed to do this to new employees?
Probationary period....they can do whatever they want.

Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend she get a second opinion about the Gall BLadder. Docs are lazy. And cheap. Instead of removing the stone or whatever is causing her problems, they remove the gall bladder and say that organ is not necessary. Um. YES IT IS. They took mine out. Now I don't go ANYWHERE without a porta potty in my car or knowing EXACTLY where the nearest bathroom is, and I always carry extra clothes in case I don't make it in time.

Read this. And believe 95% of it. Once that GB is gone....shit happens. Literally.

Find a doc that will find another remedy instead of removing the organ itself.

Google

Thanks for the advice, Gracie. I understand that because my step daughter had hers removed. My fear is that my niece's gallbladder could be cancerous. We won't know until they perform a biopsy.
If its cancer...get it gone. Worry about the side effects of no gall bladder later.

We don't know the whole story, but we know the brutal labor policies companies have developed in the last 35 years.

Funny,I never encountered any of these "brutal labor policies".
Because you were an ass kisser?

No,I didnt follow in your footsteps.
I actually applied myself and made money for my employer.
HWGA Snow, you know nothing. I owned the business when I retired.

My niece has developed problems with her gall bladder, and has missed days at her new job (she has been in very bad shape). The place where she has been working has a policy of no missed days for the first six months (a common probationary period). A couple of days ago she was in such bad shape that she was admitted to the hospital for further testing. She was released after a day, but her doctor had scheduled her to have surgery. He also wrote her a note for her work. She called her manager to tell him that she had a note from her doctor but that she would try to come in if it meant keeping her job. He told her that HR had already fired her. She called HR and they said the manager had fired her. Now she not only doesn't have a job, she has no insurance and is facing an expensive operation and convalescence, and still has a family with three children to raise.

I think that any employer that does this to its employees, particularly one like her that they admitted was a good worker, is dastardly and not worth working for. So my question is should employers be allowed to do this to new employees?

Six months probation? That's weird, it's usually 90 days. Sucks about her gallbladder but she took the job knowing that there was a probationary period. She can not fulfill her end of the commitment, tough break.

Stop with the bleeding heart shit, she can sign up for obamacare insurance under the exception rule.

Is she sure she needs it removed? I had gallstones and they insisted I have my gallbladder removed. The stones passed (yes, it is extremely painful but tylenol w/codeine was very effective in relieving the pain). I held off on surgery. That was ten years ago, not a problem since then.
In some jobs it's 2-3 years probation. But like I said...during probation they can let you go for whatever reason or no reason at all. Is it nice? No...but businesses usually don't run on nice.

Six months probation? That's weird, it's usually 90 days. Sucks about her gallbladder but she took the job knowing that there was a probationary period. She can not fulfill her end of the commitment, tough break.

Stop with the bleeding heart shit, she can sign up for obamacare insurance under the exception rule.

Is she sure she needs it removed? I had gallstones and they insisted I have my gallbladder removed. The stones passed (yes, it is extremely painful but tylenol w/codeine was very effective in relieving the pain). I held off on surgery. That was ten years ago, not a problem since then.
In some jobs it's 2-3 years probation. But like I said...during probation they can let you go for whatever reason or no reason at all. Is it nice? No...but businesses usually don't run on nice.

The best ones do. Unfortunately, they are hard to come by these days.

Yes. The surgery is already scheduled for early next week.

As for fulfilling her commitment, she was already fully committed to her job. Until she got sick, everything was going well. She just needed some time to take care of an acute and unexpected medical condition. And she was fully committed to returning when she got well.

I've had a job before that had a six month probationary period so it isn't that unusual.

She failed to fulfill her end of the commitment because she missed work due to her illness. Those are the company rules, she knew it going in to the job, she cannot be surprised that they fired her. Does it suck? Yes. What is the company suppose to do with her work while she is out? What if there are complications from surgery, how long are they suppose to hold her job?

Companies do not give a flying fuck about their employees, people should stop expecting them to care. They used to but no more. We are all just cogs in the wheel.

We should rejoice that employers suck at being employers? Now I remember why I feel like I live in a third world country. So much for this being the greatest country in the world.

She is very sick due to no fault of her own. Are they going to fire every employee that gets sick before their probation is over? The company could have done what they do for employees that have been there for a longer period of time, and given her some slack. It's the right thing to do. After all, it costs far more to replace an employee than it is to try to keep one that wants to work. What they did is bad business.

The employers need a warm body to perform a job and she is not there to perform the job. Sucks that her illness fell within the probationary period but such is life.

It's a friggin bank. They can afford to move their schedules around to accommodate sick employees. She missed four days over two weeks due to severe abdominal and chest pain and not being able to hold anything down. She was also severely dehydrated.

There are some seriously asshole banks out there for sure.
My wife works for a great guy. He paid for a temps cancer surgery out of his own pocket when he didnt have to.
He also brought back an employee who had a debilitating aneurysm at the same pay but at a reduced role because she could no longer do the job.
Good companies are out there,you just have to find them.

We don't know the whole story, but we know the brutal labor policies companies have developed in the last 35 years.

Funny,I never encountered any of these "brutal labor policies".
Because you were an ass kisser?

No,I didnt follow in your footsteps.
I actually applied myself and made money for my employer.
HWGA Snow, you know nothing. I owned the business when I retired.

Oh stfu fakey. A cool aide stand doesnt count.

More than 200 employees in four states? Still run by my family?

You work for others, sonny. You always have.

As much fun as this "evil corporations" fantasy bullshit is for the LWNJ's, it's time for a reality check.

I am an employer. If I had a great employee that needed time off for a personal emergency, I'd hold the job for them. In fact. I'd bend over backwards to help in any way I could for a great employee. AND ANY OTHER EMPLOYER WOULD TOO!

Most likely, this gal is just an average or below average employee and as such, she's easily replaceable.

What type off work was she doing?
If I had an employee, who did her job right and didn't do anything to get fired but then took time off I would fire her and replace her with another employee who would do the job correctly and not take time off. I bet she definitely wasn't an outstanding employee, but an average typical wage slave who did her job adequately.

Businesses CAN be assholes, yes. If she did well at her job, never got bad marks or write ups, then they should want to keep her. But, they already fired her. She didn't ask for the GB prob. But they have a business to run. Understood. However, I can be a vicious bitch so if it were me..I'd contact the labor board, AND get a lawyer AND contact the local news for a human interest story of Bad Big Business Fires Woman With Kids and Needs Surgery. The bank will either hire her back THEN find a reason to fire her, or pay her to go away.

The business probably already knows what No Gall Bladder means too. Which is why after my surgery..I never worked again. Who wants to hire someone that has to run to the bathroom all the time and might not make it in time? Nobody.

Businesses CAN be assholes, yes. If she did well at her job, never got bad marks or write ups, then they should want to keep her. But, they already fired her. She didn't ask for the GB prob. But they have a business to run. Understood. However, I can be a vicious bitch so if it were me..I'd contact the labor board, AND get a lawyer AND contact the local news for a human interest story of Bad Big Business Fires Woman With Kids and Needs Surgery. The bank will either hire her back THEN find a reason to fire her, or pay her to go away.

I think the NLRB is exactly who she needs to talk to. But I think she is resigned not to fight it, because after what happened to her, I don't think she wants to go back.

I think the NLRB is exactly who she needs to talk to. But I think she is resigned not to fight it, because after what happened to her, I don't think she wants to go back.
It will take a few weeks to get back on her feet. If they take out the GB, she will have some holes in her belly. One for a camera, one for a scalpel, one for a clasp, one to remove the gall bladder itself out from her navel area. It's gonna hurt for a couple of days. Then she has to watch what she eats cuz no gall bladder means foods are now bypassing what used to be there. Her body will need to adjust. Mine did. FINALLY. I had to experiment on what I could eat and what I could not. So we are talking a couple of months probably. She was fired. Get unemployment while she can, then look for another job AFTER she finds out what her body will do. Some folks don't experience what I do....many many DO experience it.

It will take a few weeks to get back on her feet. If they take out the GB, she will have some holes in her belly. One for a camera, one for a scalpel, one for a clasp, one to remove the gall bladder itself out from her navel area. It's gonna hurt for a couple of days. Then she has to watch what she eats cuz no gall bladder means foods are now bypassing what used to be there. Her body will need to adjust. Mine did. FINALLY. I had to experiment on what I could eat and what I could not. So we are talking a couple of months probably. She was fired. Get unemployment while she can, then look for another job AFTER she finds out what her body will do. Some folks don't experience what I do....many many DO experience it.

Thanks. I'll pass the information on.

Under COBRA, her insurance must be continued at the group rate. What is questionable is if she had qualified for the group plan in the first place, usually that isn't offered for 90 days to 6 months. If she was not on the plan, then COBRA doesn't apply.

Good luck to her.

Forum List

Back