What do you do for an income?

Killer work, reminds me of when I worked in an oil derrick construction yard...in Edmond, Ok....went home black after work...

Yeah it is dirty and hot..sometimes above 110F in the summer..
Ii hear ya, Ii grew up in OKC it was usual to have 110-115 in the summer,,you get a nice breeze though, from the desert SW...I was also a mason in OK.....

Can be a bitch welding..

At one point I had a Job scabbing plate onto existing petro. storage tanks to rehab them...Nomex suits and external air didn't help much, about an hour at a time is all one could stand...Money was good but it didn't take long to find other work

I'm only in my mid 40s and I sure don't define myself by work, not writing code for money anymore isn't going to make me get old fast.
I'm only speaking of people I've known while they were working they were full of life, when they retired they physically aged fast.
For myself, retiring meant i could start another business or career, I prefer self employment..Looking to purchase a pizza rest. with an apartment to let..
As long as you're working

I manage a shop for a Water Process Equipment company, keeps me occupied most of the time...a little slow right now.

A mechanical skid we fabricated and assembled.
IMG_0224.jpg

Top section of a tank we are fabricating being placed.

IMG_3741.jpg

Mechanical porches on one of our Portable Tanks.
IMG_2432.jpg
Impressive, I bet I've install some of your equipment

I'm only in my mid 40s and I sure don't define myself by work, not writing code for money anymore isn't going to make me get old fast.
I'm only speaking of people I've known while they were working they were full of life, when they retired they physically aged fast.
For myself, retiring meant i could start another business or career, I prefer self employment..Looking to purchase a pizza rest. with an apartment to let..
Sitting still sucks, bad for your health and your mind.....I am not looking forward to being immobile when I get more elderly. I had to stop being a mason and electrician...The old body is worn out and so I am going to find something a little less labor intensive...

Killer work, reminds me of when I worked in an oil derrick construction yard...in Edmond, Ok....went home black after work...

Ii hear ya, Ii grew up in OKC it was usual to have 110-115 in the summer,,you get a nice breeze though, from the desert SW...I was also a mason in OK.....

Can be a bitch welding..

At one point I had a Job scabbing plate onto existing petro. storage tanks to rehab them...Nomex suits and external air didn't help much, about an hour at a time is all one could stand...Money was good but it didn't take long to find other work
Are you self employed or a corporate tool..?? When doing chimney in the summer it's about 130 on the roof working in the summer...toasty, but you get a better breeze...

I manage a shop for a Water Process Equipment company, keeps me occupied most of the time...a little slow right now.

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

Maybe, we are part of a Global Company now was some real culture shock for me, I considered retiring when we were bought but... honestly the money is to good...

Sitting still sucks, bad for your health and your mind.....I am not looking forward to being immobile when I get more elderly. I had to stop being a mason and electrician...The old body is worn out and so I am going to find something a little less labor intensive...
That's exactly what I was trying to make a point of. My father is 82 I think and he's still working for the county school system same thing with my mother 74 working same school system.

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

Maybe, we are part of a Global Company now was some real culture shock for me, I considered retiring when we were bought but... honestly the money is to good...
I've worked for some big companies in the past.

Can be a bitch welding..

Are you self employed or a corporate tool..?? When doing chimney in the summer it's about 130 on the roof working in the summer...toasty, but you get a better breeze...
A proud corporate lackey that cares about the folks who work with him....

Buy and sell antiques and whatnot. Sometimes I do well..sometimes I wind up having to have a yard sale for the stuff I thought I could make a profit on.

I'm currently a software engineer, but in a couple months my wife and I are retiring early. We're going to bum around for awhile to finish up of any projects then sell our house and go backpacking around the world.
I'm semi retired, my husband will never retire. We're both FA's., and in the last decade I started to fix up old properties for rentals which isn't full time but I love it.

That is good you found a second career you like.

My wife sometimes talks about doing some teaching after we get back to the US (she's an attorney right now) and I guess I could take on some contract gigs but I'm not planning on it right now. I've got fishing, hiking, video games, volunteer work, about 200 books on my Kindle, getting better at chess, learning french, cooking more, etc. way too much shit on my list.

Sitting still sucks, bad for your health and your mind
Agreed, but I sure don't equate no longer needing to be at a certain place and time every day for work with sitting still.

I'm sure some people work until they are old then go watch TV all day, that isn't me.

Here was my very first job when I was 14 years old.

The Cal State Long Beach Bell Tower

My job title was "Hey Boy". Hey boy do this! Hey boy do that!

It was the last great work by a famous architect and everyone hates it.
Hey boy! Wrong. Everybody does not hate it.

UAM | CSULB: sculpture

About Us | 49er Foundation

:lol:

I used to go by there every once in a while. It's a very cool sculpture.

Interesting thread bigrebnc. Thanks.

Semi retired early with pension and investment income. After I stopped flying, the phone started to ring as old flying buddies talked me into staying in the game part time on the training side. I have complete control over how much or little I show up. It's fun and it keeps my brain active. I still get to hang out with pilots and "fly" in the simulator. (Not the one shown below). The class room is challenging and a source of great stories from the guys who are still out on the road. Best part is I'm home every night in the same time zone enjoying incredible meals prepared by the light of my life. Priceless!
CAE_5000%20610.jpg

Bunch of drunks? :lol: I doubt they like much of anything. LB has a history of not appreciating art and it has a sad history of always acting the poor red-headed step sister
Then why don't you go down and enjoy the artistic symmetry of the
"traffic circle".

Make sure you do it blindfolded, it really ramps up the experience.

Forum List

Back