CDZ What choice have folks who find Trump detestable and Mrs. Clinton unacceptable?

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
Well, one option is to not vote. The other currently existing option most likely will be Gary Johnson who will be on every ballot in the U.S.
I once was a Libertarian. I don't generally consider voting for a Lib, but suddenly I find myself having no choice but to consider the Libertarian candidate as I'm not keen enough on Mrs. Clinton's platform to commit now to voting for her and it's not likely Mr. Sanders will get the nomination.

Given that it's essentially too late for anyone else -- even if they have the ~$10M it costs to do so -- to register and actually get on all the ballots in the nation, Mr. Johnson is the only plausible alternative, unless one considers as plausible the possibility that the nation's dissatisfied voters will write in a person on their ballots and 50% +1 of voters do so, and they all write the same name. I don't know about you, but I'm not counting on that.

So what do you think of Gov. Johnson?

Do not know him. He's a non-factor. You decide in one of the four boxes in our 2 party system.

Vote against the DEM by voting for the GOP
Vote against the GOP by voting for the DEM
Vote for the DEM
Vote for the GOP

I have no qualms voting for Ms. Clinton. I just haven't decided in what state to cast my ballot. j/k

Well, one option is to not vote. The other currently existing option most likely will be Gary Johnson who will be on every ballot in the U.S.
I once was a Libertarian. I don't generally consider voting for a Lib, but suddenly I find myself having no choice but to consider the Libertarian candidate as I'm not keen enough on Mrs. Clinton's platform to commit now to voting for her and it's not likely Mr. Sanders will get the nomination.

Given that it's essentially too late for anyone else -- even if they have the ~$10M it costs to do so -- to register and actually get on all the ballots in the nation, Mr. Johnson is the only plausible alternative, unless one considers as plausible the possibility that the nation's dissatisfied voters will write in a person on their ballots and 50% +1 of voters do so, and they all write the same name. I don't know about you, but I'm not counting on that.

Jumping the gun a bit aren't we? Nobody has been nominated as the party's candidate yet.

Do not know him. He's a non-factor. You decide in one of the four boxes in our 2 party system.

Vote for the DEM
Vote for the GOP

I have no qualms voting for Ms. Clinton. I just haven't decided in what state to cast my ballot. j/k

That's a rather binary way of looking at what is clearly not a binary set of choices.

Vote for the DEM
Vote for the GOP

That's a rather binary way of looking at what is clearly not a binary set of choices.

That is a rather unrealistic assessment of 2016 Presidential Politics. A vote for anyone other than Drumpf of Clinton is wasted in our system. If you wish to discuss better ways to elect the President, I'm all ears but in the current framework, a vote for Mr. Johnson is wasted in the final analysis. It may satisfy some internal desire to not lend support to either major party candidate and that is all well and good but our system is what it is; Sorry.

Vote for the DEM
Vote for the GOP

That is a rather unrealistic assessment of 2016 Presidential Politics. A vote for anyone other than Drumpf of Clinton is wasted in our system. If you wish to discuss better ways to elect the President, I'm all ears but in the current framework, a vote for Mr. Johnson is wasted in the final analysis. It may satisfy some internal desire to not lend support to either major party candidate and that is all well and good but our system is what it is; Sorry.

For dyed in the wool GOP-ers, it's hardly that at all and it need not at all be a waste, most especially in the 2016 Presidential election cycle. For example, the House of Representatives is currently held by Republicans. If enough votes to to Johnson, the choice of whom shall become President will end up in the House. I ask you, would the House then choose Trump, Clinton or Johnson?

Vote for the DEM
Vote for the GOP

For dyed in the wool GOP-ers, it's hardly that at all and it need not at all be a waste, most especially in the 2016 Presidential election cycle. For example, the House of Representatives is currently held by Republicans. If enough votes to to Johnson, the choice of whom shall become President will end up in the House. I ask you, would the House then choose Trump, Clinton or Johnson?

Drumpf. Too much to lose any other way.
In 2016, it will not happen. No way; no how.
I understand the predicament someone who doesn't like either major party nominee faces and I think we should overhaul the system to arrive at better candidates (for one thing, the process is too damn long). But we should keep both feet in reality when deciding on whom to vote for while we are in the voting booth this November.

As already correctly noted: many don’t vote ‘for’ – they vote against, and have no problem doing so.

Vote for the DEM
Vote for the GOP

Drumpf. Too much to lose any other way.
In 2016, it will not happen. No way; no how.
I understand the predicament someone who doesn't like either major party nominee faces and I think we should overhaul the system to arrive at better candidates (for one thing, the process is too damn long). But we should keep both feet in reality when deciding on whom to vote for while we are in the voting booth this November.

Okay, so you think the House will choose Trump. I don't. I think the House would choose Mr. Johnson. I don't see there as being all that much to lose by choosing him. The man has been a state Governor after all and most of his positions are consistent or quite close to those of the existing GOP leadership, far more so than are those of Trump or Mrs. Clinton.

The green party is on my ballot. I will be watching to see who they nominate. Jill Stein I'm guessing. I'm good with that.

The green party is on my ballot. I will be watching to see who they nominate. Jill Stein I'm guessing. I'm good with that.

I have to be honest. I don't have any idea what the Green Party platform is or is not. They may be on all ballots, or they may not. I don't know that either.

TY all the same for bringing them up. The Green Party certainly is another choice one has.

Vote for the DEM
Vote for the GOP

I disagree, for the same reason that our system is what it is. Meaning, due to the Electoral College system, if your state is a lock for a red vote or a lock for a blue vote, then your contribution to (or against) that red or blue state vote, has no meaning at all, because it has no effect whatsoever. But by voting 3P you can at least make the 'NOTA' statement that the binary system is not acceptable.

I've certainly done that, though I would not have if the EC system did not exist.

"What choice have folks who find Trump detestable and Mrs. Clinton unacceptable?"

The better question is why someone might have such a perception of either candidate.

A fine question for a different thread.
Disagree.

Exploring how the perceptions developed goes to why some believe they have ‘no choice.’

For example, if the voters were to learn the candidates' actual positions on the issues, they might be better inclined to make a choice, realizing their perceptions were wrong.

Vote for the DEM
Vote for the GOP

How about a state of confusion? Or resignation? Or denial?

I have to be honest. I don't have any idea what the Green Party platform is or is not. They may be on all ballots, or they may not. I don't know that either.

TY all the same for bringing them up. The Green Party certainly is another choice one has.
The green party is only on about half the ballots thus far I believe. It doesn't bother me to cast a vote for someone who can't win, I'm going to vote for someone that represents my values. I have voted for winning candidates in the past and still felt like I lost.

Jumping the gun a bit aren't we? Nobody has been nominated as the party's candidate yet.

You're hilarious.

It is over. The Democratic Party decided to nominate hiLIARy a year ago. They don't even pretend that the dumb fucks who support them have a voice...."Super Delegates" is a euphemism for "you are too stupid to decide". Your party decides, not the voters.

On the other side of the same wooden nickel, the brain trust at the GOP got their ass handed to them. Because of that , they'd rather see hiLIARy win than Trump.....then they can say "see, we told you".

Lather, rinse, repeat.

You're hilarious.

It is over. The Democratic Party decided to nominate hiLIARy a year ago. They don't even pretend that the dumb fucks who support them have a voice...."Super Delegates" is a euphemism for "you are too stupid to decide". Your party decides, not the voters.

On the other side of the same wooden nickel, the brain trust at the GOP got their ass handed to them. Because of that , they'd rather see hiLIARy win than Trump.....then they can say "see, we told you".

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Whine and stomp your feet all you like, the fact remains -- and again that operative word was "fact" -- neither party has nominated its candidate yet.

Forum List

Back