What can we, the people do, to fix our nation

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Avatar4321, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,204
    I am specifically not talking about politics here. This isn't a discussion on liberalism, conservatism, progressivism, or any sort of isms.

The solutions to this nations problems will not be found in politics but in the people doing things.

So what are the things we need to do to fix our nation?

2. AmericanFirst

AmericanFirst Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,005
    First off, fire obamaturd.

3. The Gadfly

The Gadfly Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +611
    We could try to bridge the political, social, cultural, economic and ethnic divides that threaten to tear the nation apart. Unfortunately, I have to say it's doubtful at this point that we can do so. Frankly speaking, there are conflicting interests here that simply cannot be reconciled. If that is the case, then at some as yet indeterminate point, those questions will be settled by force. With both major parties now in the control of their extreme respective bases, I see little hope for a long-term political solution.The is little question that such a war, if it comes, will be a long and bloody affair. When it is over i suppose the survivors will have to pick up the pieces of whatever is left, and go on from there. It is not a happy prospect, but it may be unavoidable

4. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,244
    I agree with Gad.....the US will eventually split asunder because the political divide is too great. It will be interesting to see which society ends up being the better one...

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Love thy neighbor as thyself.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

You know, pretty much exactly the opposite of the messages we've been getting for the last 30 years?

6. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,328
    Once Americans come to terms with the internet, our politics may be healed.

As it is, there are Americans who are generally incurious, yet enraged. They buttress that rage with propaganda that tells them precisely what they want to hear. That propaganda is largely disseminated by "pundits" who have an agenda financed by special interests (oil companies, corporations with production overseas, advocacy groups).

The lack of curiosity among those enraged Americans makes it impossible for diverse points of view to be heard and appreciated. Thus the cycle of rage and satisfaction with their particular news sources continues to an inevitably tragic end for our political system.

This level of boorishness was not apparent before the explosion of cable news and the internet. If we want a better system, we need to be more open to the truth and less willing to follow punditry so blindly.

7. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,117
    we, the little guy, can't do much.....we can go about doing the best we can with the jobs we have and the money we make.....

we can take a step back in our own lives and ask ourselves, "Do we really need all the things we buy?" and choose to add less trash to the Earth....

This of course means that our economy will never be the same.....and we won't expect it to be the same advertising infested economy with promotions to buy some other useless thing....

Waste not, want not.... we'd all be happier.

8. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    The same thing the Japanese did. The same thing the Germans did.
    NOTHING.
    Wait for the rain.

9. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    How very true.

Look at your neighbor and see a human being wlaking the same path as yourself, trying to make a good way for their family.

Treat them with respect and try to imagine that they have good intentions and treat them as such.

I hear so much about latinos here one would think they were horrible people.

My town is 60 percent latino.

kids in skate gear skateboarding (and yes speaking english) looking just like any white neighborhood except you see a little more dark hair and fewer blondes. Beautiful lawns and shiney washed cars.

I really think people who dont live in mixed neighborhoods have no idea just how normal they are.

My neighbors are very sweet and love to wave hello even the ones who dont speak real good english.

I will NEVER understand why people dont like latinos, they have always been very nice to me and are great nieghbors.

They love their kids and family with a passion and are always having family over for get togethers and they never run the music past curfew or do anything that causes a problem.

I really think anyone who doesnt like latinos just never knew enough of them.

In my last neighborhood there was a pretty respectable slice of black people.

They were NO different from any of my other neighbors. Houses just as clean and kept, kids just as respectable. Truely just no differance.

I just dont understand the need for racism some people insist on seeing?

10. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    [​IMG]
    The political processes of our country are such that if a rule of reason is not applied in this effort, we will lose everything--even to a possible and drastic change in the Constitution. This is what I mean by my constant insistence upon "moderation" in government. Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid.
    Presidential Papers, Doc#1147 Personal and confidential To Edgar Newton Eisenhower, 8 November 1954. In The Papers of Dwight David Eisenhower

Well, now we have that party...and it will be the END of the GOP.