What are you reading?

The Dollmaker by Harriette Arnow

The Dollmaker was originally published in 1954 to immediate success and critical acclaim. In unadorned and powerful prose, Harriette Arnow tells the unforgettable and heartbreaking story of the Nevels family and their quest to preserve their deep-rooted values amidst the turmoil of war and industrialization. When Gertie Nevels, a strong and self-reliant matriarch, follows her husband to Detroit from their countryside home in Kentucky, she learns she will have to fight desperately to keep her family together. A sprawling book full of vividly drawn characters and masterful scenes, The Dollmaker is a passionate tribute to a woman's love for her children and the land.

cool:cool:

Finished that one. It's a great read, every word in that blurb is true and more. It's a unique perspective on the nature of strength and the ability to adjust and survive...but I won't spoil it for anybody who might pick it up.

Next up....Voyage by Stephen Baxter.

Mars and the space program. It's a little technical, but if you can handle that I'm liking it so far.

Great Book: Have you read Hotel New Hampshire?

Yeah. I liked Hotel New Hampshire, but not as much as some of Irving's other stuff. And now having finished it, I liked Garp better than it.

Yes, I agree.

Have you read Cider House Rules?

Not yet, that's the next Irving book I'm gonna read.

Anyway, I quit reading The City and the City, it wasn't really catching my attention. I'm now reading Leo Tolstoy's Resurrection and Jim Butcher's Proven Guilty.

I usually have a number of book by the bedside and right now its:

Blacklisted by History -- M Stanton Evans

The Omega Point -- Whitley Streiber

Forbidden Friendships: homosexuality and male culture in Renaissance Florence -- Michael Rocke (my ancestors feature prominently and infamously in it and I finally understand now why everything before our move down to Calabria in the 1500's was shrouded in mystery)

Journey to Ixtlan -- Carlos Castenada

The Girl with the Green Dragon Tattoo -- Steig Larsson

Il Magnifico -- Miles J. Unger (recommended by a USMB'er)

I've just started two non fiction books, "On the Brink" by Henry Paulson, Jr and "The Death of American Virtue, Clinton v. Starr" by Ken Gormley. Paulson's book, thus far, is a disappointment. The title suggests an in depth examination of how we got to where we were in the last days of the Bush Administration; thus far it's an "ain't I great piece" of making him look good to history. I'm about 20% into the book so I hope there is something substantial soon.
In Gromley's I'm less than 10% in but find his style smooth and easy reading. He covers a lot of material in short order, including short bios of the major players, Whitewater/Madison, etc and does so (really) in a far and balanced way. He interviewed everyone and amplifies our understanding with pleanty of quotes. So far, so good.

I'm not very interested in cannibals or vampires so my fiction has recently included Nelson Demille; I finished "Up Country" last month and "Night Fall" last week. "The Lion" is next up.

Last edited:
You would LOVE

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Close-Range-Wyoming-Annie-Proulx/dp/0684852225/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282614569&sr=1-2-spell]Amazon.com: Close Range : Wyoming Stories (9780684852225): Annie Proulx: Books[/ame]

Annie Proulx could BE YOU!!:lol:

716PF4S4H1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.gif

I visit my brother and sister in law soon in Alabama. I've got to brush up on my language skills.

I'm currently reading Century Rain by Alistair Reynolds for fun. Reynolds writes some incredibly Sci Fi and I love his Revelation Space universe. This is the first book by him not set in the RS Universe I've tried to read.

For my research I'm reading Local Rings by Nagata. The book is all but impossible to find. I filled out an interlibrary loan form and expected it to go into the circular file. Unbelievably they called me within a week with the book. My librarians rock.

I'm back to writing. I go through phases of either reading or writing.

I have 2 screenplays that I've been writing/rewriting. One is an action/adventure archaeology story that was literally the worst script ever presented to a groups of NY Screen writers, so as painful as it is it's back to the drawing board after a 2 year hiatus.

The second is a SciFi comedy and I don't know if I'll present it because I keep thinking of things to add, it doesn't hang together, is ridiculous from start to finish but it cracks me up. I just rewrote the opening on the train ride in to NYC this morning and I'm still chuckling over it.

It's starts with a middle aged guy running at night through the woods, he's being pursued, we see colored lights (no offense to The Bass, I don't mean colored in a racial sense) like a police car, but there's no road. He runs, stops against a tree to catch his breath. The lights appear overhead, he's being pursued by a UFO, he falls to the ground screaming in panic, desperately trying to get away...

I am reading Citizen Vince by Jess Walters.
Great book so far, set in 1980 when Carter and Reagan are running against each other. It is about a Mob guy from New Jersey who is put in the witness protection program. So far, he thinks people are after him, and he doesn't know who to vote for.
It is also an Edgar Award winner, Best Novel of the Year.

Chief of Station Congo.

Every once in awhile I read a book that isn't about finance or economics. This is about the CIA's chief of station in Congo during the 1960s. Good stuff.

Just finished Tokyo Vice by Jake Adelstein, now reading From Hell by Alan Moore.

I definitely recommend Tokyo Vice.

Forum List

Back