What are you reading?

Do it Bert. I recommend about one of every seven books I read, though I do recommend The Lost City of Z as well so this last bunch it's two of seven...

I came across the book at Costco and, after reading the flap, was reminded of The Stand. This was why I bought it. It may be better. I almost wish I'd waited to read it just so the release of the second book would be closer. Now I have to wait at least a year.

That's how I felt with The Dresden Files. I read all of them in a few months (school can be a huge free time vaccum. :lol:) and now I got to wait until around October for the newest in the series.

So other than the previous mentioned books, what do you consider your favorite books?

Fahrenheit 451, Richard Matheson's I Am Legend, Asimov's I, Robot, The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Thunderstruck is a very good account of murder in the early 20th century. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Vonnegut's Timequake. Douglas Preston, best known for his fiction has written a couple of very good nonfiction pieces, Cities of Gold and Dinosaurs in the Attic. The latter is about the American Museum of Natural History, the former is the story of the author's ride on horseback through the American southwest. A couple of collections of short stories by Bradbury and Dick come to mind.

A sentimental favorite, only because the author used my dad's name and image for a character, is Lisa Scottoline's Dirty Blonde. It's the only book of hers I've read.

There are several fiction authors I read regularly, but as much as I enjoy their work, they don't necessarily make my list of favorite books.

john sandford....just finished two of his books, heat lighting and naked prey.....

i finished, glass rainbow, by james lee burke last week....which i promptly sold to a customer for 10 bucks....(i was happy)

Last edited:
john sandford....just finished two of his books, heat lighting and naked prey.....

i finished, glass rainbow, by james lee burke last week....which i promptly sold to a customer for 10 bucks....(i was happy)

Sandford is very good. I've read most of his stuff and all of the "Prey" books.

The Road To Serfdom by F.A. Hayek.

It's all about the road we are on and how ignorant people got us here.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Places-Between-Rory-Stewart/dp/0156031566/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281659525&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: The Places In Between (9780156031561): Rory Stewart: Books[/ame]

Interesting memoir of a Scot that walked across Afghanistan 3 months after the USA intervened with the Taliban.

Really gives you a good idea about how, and why real average rural Muslims preceive their world.

Walden by Hank Thoreau. It's taking me awhile. I'm a slow reader. On top of that, he keeps making all these classical lit and historical references that sidetrack me when I have to look them up. Very challenging, but educational and at times humorous.

Last edited:
I'm on the last hundred pages of The World According to Garp, by John Irving.

I also started reading The City and the City by China Mieville.

The Dollmaker by Harriette Arnow

The Dollmaker was originally published in 1954 to immediate success and critical acclaim. In unadorned and powerful prose, Harriette Arnow tells the unforgettable and heartbreaking story of the Nevels family and their quest to preserve their deep-rooted values amidst the turmoil of war and industrialization. When Gertie Nevels, a strong and self-reliant matriarch, follows her husband to Detroit from their countryside home in Kentucky, she learns she will have to fight desperately to keep her family together. A sprawling book full of vividly drawn characters and masterful scenes, The Dollmaker is a passionate tribute to a woman's love for her children and the land.

cool:cool:

A book called Affluenza.
It's all about duh murkin dream.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Affluenza-All-Consuming-Epidemic-John-Graaf/dp/1576751996]Amazon.com: Affluenza: The All-Consuming Epidemic (9781576751992):…[/ame]

Forum List

Back