What are you listening to?

"We're gonna give you Pictures At An Exhibition"

Most know that ELP infused classical music into their work but aren't aware that the entire Pictures album is totally composed from Mussorgsky's 10 piece suite. It is one of the examples of why I consider Keith to be rocks greatest keyboardist.

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Sleater-Kinney "One Song For You" from their album "The Hot Rock" released in 1999 on Kill Rock Star Records.

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Pavement "Trigger Cut / Wounded Kite At: 17" from their album "Slanted and Enchanted" released in 1992 on Matador Records.

Pavement "Conduit For Sale" from their album "Slanted and Enchanted" released in 1992 on Matador Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

I already posted this in May, but I'm posting it again because it's a raucous gem of a record.

This is an example of a cover version being much better than the original. The original being the Bo Diddley version of "Who Do You Love" which was released on 7" in 1956 on Checker Records, which was a subsidiary of Chess Records.

Ronnie Hawkins and The Hawks "Who Do You Love" released on 7" in 1963 on Roulette Records....the B Side is "Bo Diddley"....Ronnie Hawkins backing band The Hawks, the 1957-1964 line-up later in 1964 changed their name to The Band and then became Bob Dylan's backing band.

1319413298_The_Massacre.JPG

look at that cover! this look doesn't say gangsta, it says: "I'll suck your dick for some blow!"

Forum List

Back