What are you listening to?

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

The Yardbirds "I'm A Man" released on 7" in 1965 on Epic Records....the B Side is "Still I'm Sad"

Speaking of German TV, I love this even though I don't understand it.

Juliane Werding- Am Tag als Conny Kramer starb

It's about the day Conny Kramer died from his addiction to drugs, it makes references to seeing lights and colours and joints, which suggest an Acid Trip and smoking weed.

Although you can't die per se from taking LSD or from smoking weed, so he must have been taking Heroin or something but that's not referenced in any way in the song.

It's about the day Conny Kramer died from his addiction to drugs, it makes references to seeing lights and colours and joints, which suggest an Acid Trip and smoking weed. Although you can't die per se from taking LSD or from smoking weed, so he must have been taking Heroin or something but that's not referenced in any way in the song.

I don't understand the words, but I did look up the story behind the song. It is about heroin, which apparently was a big problem in Germany in the 70s. I was originally attracted to the song because the tune is from "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" by The Band, but have watched it many times because I love her voice.

It's about the day Conny Kramer died from his addiction to drugs, it makes references to seeing lights and colours and joints, which suggest an Acid Trip and smoking weed. Although you can't die per se from taking LSD or from smoking weed, so he must have been taking Heroin or something but that's not referenced in any way in the song.

I don't understand the words, but I did look up the story behind the song. It is about heroin, which apparently was a big problem in Germany in the 70s. I was originally attracted to the song because the tune is from "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" by The Band, but have watched it many times because I love her voice.

Yes the song itself does not reference Heroin, but Trips and Joints, but yes Heroin was a big problem especially in Berlin or West Berlin as it was which in the 1970s was the Heroin capital of Europa very much, including many teenagers were hooked, Smack dealers used to hang out at the main section of the Bahnhof Zoo and in the U-Bahn section (the railway station and the underground railway) where teenager addicts used to meet them, all very distasteful.

The song you post I thought I had heard the tune of which somewhere else but not with that song and there it is as you state "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" by The Band.

I've been reminiscing lately. MC5 is probably my favorite band that no one seems to remember. Probably because they were just a little ahead of their time, being considered proto punk these days.

Last night I remember that I had posted in this thread a tune from the MC5 myself.

My post is from April 2016 MC5 "I Want You Right Now" from their album "Kick Out The Jams" released in 1969 on Elektra Records.

Here is the link to it.

What are you listening to?

Cowardice asks the question - is it safe?
Expediency asks the question - is it politic?
Vanity asks the question - is it popular?
But conscience asks the question - is it right?
And there comes a time when one must take a position
that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular;
but one must take it because it is right.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Tonight, I'm listening to Joan Baez...someone who's voice needs no electronic manipulation...

Phil Ochs -one of folk musics greatest.

I think this song is a good reminder, a gentle nudge in these mean spirited times...

Greg Brown...a deep easy voice: Rexroth's Daughter

The murderer who lived next door seemed like such a normal guy-
If you try to follow what they shove at us you run out of tears to cry
I heard a man speak quietly i listened for a while
He spoke from his heart to my woe & then he bowed & smiled
What is real but compassion as we move from birth to death
I am looking for rexroth's daughter & I'm running out of breath

More folk music....Schooner Fare is one of the groups I was lucky to see - rich, vibrant, and fun! Always small venues :)

We the People

Forum List

Back