What are you listening to?

Schooner Fare - Mary Ellen Carter

For we couldn't leave her there, you see, to crumble into scale.
She'd saved our lives so many times, living through the gale
And the laughing, drunken rats who left her to a sorry grave
They won't be laughing in another day. . .
And you, to whom adversity has dealt the final blow
With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go
Turn to, and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain
And like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again.

Joan Baez - In My Time of Need (originally by Ryan Adams)....

Will you say to me a little rains gonna come
When the sky can't offer none to me
Cause I will come for you
When my days are through
And I'll let your smile just off and carry me

Is there anyone today with vocals matched to poetry like Simon and Garfunkle?

Greg Brown...I'm Walkin' Daddy

Ain't no road a good road until it's free to everyone
We're walkin' daddy father holy ghost & son

Ain't no sorrow can dim the love comes shining through
I'm walkin' daddy I know what I am here to do

To be of use try to help the deal along
I'm walkin' daddy & i'm just gonna keep walkin' on

Another classic folkie....Tom Paxton. I was lucky to see him, Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie live :)

This song, Corymeela, I think speaks to all of us, but it's the first time I found it on youtube.

I was tearing myself apart.
I was my own worst enemy.
There didn't seem to be an answer to my misery.
I knew that I was wrong and I was sure that I was right.
I was cursing the darkness and blowing out the light.

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Gladys Knight and The Pips "Didn't You Know (You'd Have to Cry Sometime)" released on 7" in 1969 on the Soul label which was a subsidiary of The Motown Record Corporation, this is the A Side of the record.

Gladys Knight and The Pips "Keep An Eye" this is the B Side to the above A Side.

Last edited:
Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

The Stranglers "Golden Brown" released on 7" in 1982 on Liberty Records....the B Side is "Love 30"

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Coachwhips "Thee Alarm" from their album "Bangers Vs. Fuckers" released in 2004 on Narnack Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

I of course hate the sentiment of the whole Riot grrrl Movement ie. Third-Wave Feminism and Far Leftism, but the Riot grrrl Movement had some fantastic bands and I support the whole DIY Ethic of self-sufficiency, doing everything for themselves and/or with other equally Independent collaborators, including the making of the music and the marketing of it without ANY assistance from the Mainstream Music Industry which I have a visceral hatred of....I just hate anything Mainstream and Mega Corporate and especially Art should not be Corporate, Art isn't a Commodity, Art is for the love.

I better stop or I'll begin to sound like a Hippy or something :eek-52: :omg:

Anyhow, Bikini Kill released four 7" inch Singles, "Rebel Girl" was the first of them.

The below video is....shocking, but Coyote being a Commie will like it :poke::tongue:

Bikini Kill "Rebel Girl" released on 7" in 1993 on Kill Rock Star Records....the B Side is "Demirep"

Syd Barrett was an insane genius, Pink Floyd went downhill post-Barrett in my opinion.
Insane; most definitely, though too many doses of LSD probably helped that situation along.
Genius; no doubt about it, he was head and shoulders over his contemporaries.
Pink Floyd going downhill? Not so sure about that one. My favorite Floyd album, Meddle, was post Barrett. I rather think they evolved. Granted, my least favorite albums were also post Barrett, Dark Side & The Wall, but a lot of that was due to massive overplay.
I notice that the Emily that I posted is blocked now, apologies for that, it worked last night. (I have gotten into the habit of checking before posting music because of this).
Thank you for your kind comments! :)

Warren Zevon - Carmalita

Carmelita hold me tighter
I think I'm sinking down
And I'm all strung out on heroin
On the outskirts of town

Forum List

Back