Well now! Surprise surprise...

Reports from journalists and the Government Accountability Office last month about problems with the data on Recovery.gov cast doubt on the site’s claim that more than 640,000 jobs had been created or saved by the Obama administration’s American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Meanwhile Obama upped the ante, putting the figure at more than 1 million. On Nov. 12, for example, in announcing this month’s jobs summit, he said that the stimulus had “created and saved more than a million jobs.”

Now some good news for the White House: According to the Congressional Budget Office, the actual number may be more than twice what Recovery.gov says, and as much as 50 percent more than what Obama has been saying. The nonpartisan agency found that:

CBO, Nov. 30: n the third quarter of calendar year 2009, an additional 600,000 to 1.6 million people were employed in the United States, and real (inflation-adjusted) gross domestic product was 1.2 percent to 3.2 percent higher, than would have been the case in the absence of ARRA.

Read ----> Stimulus Jobs, Re-revisited | FactCheck.org

Why do you hate America so much? People like you always cheering on any type of failure...I'd say encouraging failure. Why?

DevNel thinks I should have been aborted, but s/he's too chicken to post that for ALL to see. I despise crybabies who can only make a point by acting like 3-year olds.

That is pure bullshit. Prove it. Prove that millions of private sector jobs have not been created even in the health care/pharmaceutical field because of space science--just that one discipline alone. You won't be able to.

Prove a negative?

At any rate, the "private" sector jobs you're referencing would have been created in response to a public sector job's demand, and paid for with public money. Therefore on the private market these jobs wouldn't exist because there's no real demand for them.

Your analysis is based on theory only. The old "what-if" rationale always used by conservatives. You don't know for a fact that the private sector would have created such jobs left to its own ingenuity. In fact, I can't think of a single industry that resulted in successfully catapulting America forward as an industrialized nation that didn't rely on, at least in part, financial assistance from the federal government. But I'm always open to reminders.

I would say they probably wouldn't exist, because without the government requiring their services for NASA what demand would there be? The market creates what there is a demand for. The government creates what it has a demand for, by taking money out of the private sector leaving less resources for the private market to create real wealth producing jobs.

Last edited:
Reports from journalists and the Government Accountability Office last month about problems with the data on Recovery.gov cast doubt on the site’s claim that more than 640,000 jobs had been created or saved by the Obama administration’s American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Meanwhile Obama upped the ante, putting the figure at more than 1 million. On Nov. 12, for example, in announcing this month’s jobs summit, he said that the stimulus had “created and saved more than a million jobs.”

Now some good news for the White House: According to the Congressional Budget Office, the actual number may be more than twice what Recovery.gov says, and as much as 50 percent more than what Obama has been saying. The nonpartisan agency found that:

CBO, Nov. 30: n the third quarter of calendar year 2009, an additional 600,000 to 1.6 million people were employed in the United States, and real (inflation-adjusted) gross domestic product was 1.2 percent to 3.2 percent higher, than would have been the case in the absence of ARRA.

I agree that the government accounted for a large part of the GDP in the third quarter. That is why it is going to be so bad in the forst quarter. The stimulus' impact is over by even Geithner's assessment. Since there is no government definition of a saved job, monkeys could come up with just as accurate a number. This part of the piece is just wishful thinking.

You're a sucker!!!! I got some land in the pine barrens of NJ if you're interested. Don't mind those yellow drums full of radium though...it's perfectly safe now.:lol:

785511.jpg

Please prove that ARRA saved any jobs at all. You can't CBO is guessing as is anyone who makes such a claim. There is simply no way to prove such a statement. And what Jobs were saved? Government Jobs?

Why do you hate America so much? People like you always cheering on any type of failure...I'd say encouraging failure. Why?

Where do you get that I'm cheering on unemployment. What a fucking jerk. I wqould be oh so nice if one of YOU would "cheer on" the efforts being made to curb the rise of unemployment. A "saved" job is a J.O.B. however it's spelled.

I agree that the government accounted for a large part of the GDP in the third quarter. That is why it is going to be so bad in the forst quarter. The stimulus' impact is over by even Geithner's assessment. Since there is no government definition of a saved job, monkeys could come up with just as accurate a number. This part of the piece is just wishful thinking.

While I realize talking points take precedence over actual research, for those truly interested, there is a wealth of information here:

Eye on the Stimulus - ProPublica

The government can't create jobs.

Really? Tell it to the astronauts, who wouldn't have their jobs were it not for the multi-billion dollar government program to get to the moon in 10 years. Tell it to the tens of thousands of people who work in private sector jobs related to space science. Tell it to the tens of thousands of people who work for businesses and contractors maintaining the interstate highway system.

How many millions of Americans are employed in the defense industry both public and private?

Please prove that ARRA saved any jobs at all. You can't CBO is guessing as is anyone who makes such a claim. There is simply no way to prove such a statement. And what Jobs were saved? Government Jobs?

Thousands of state and local jobs were "saved" -- like educators, first reponders -- which would have been cut back without transfer of a lot of the stimulus money to the states. Try using your Google feature for a change before making ridiculous comments.

The US Government IS NOT THE ECONOMY!!!!!

I'm afraid your preaching to the choir!

Obama is the one who needs to understand this, the powers on the HILL are the ones who need to understand this, they don't!

All are so far removed or frankly never understood Main Street, they are not capable of the tasks before them. ......... Sadly that holds true for the majority in Washington, political party matters not.

Mike

Obama is the one who needs to understand this, the powers on the HILL are the ones who need to understand this, they don't!

All are so far removed or frankly never understood Main Street, they are not capable of the tasks before them. ......... Sadly that holds true for the majority in Washington, political party matters not.

Mike

Great. By your blanket statement, then, this downturn can be fully blamed on the private sector. Thank you. When do you plan on digging us out?

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimates
that the federal budget deficit for 2009 will total
$1.6 trillion, which, at 11.2 percent of gross domestic
product (GDP), will be the highest since World War II.
That deficit figure results from a combination of weak
revenues and elevated spending associated with the economic
downturn and financial turmoil. The deficit has
been boosted by various federal policies implemented in
response, including the stimulus legislation and aid for
the financial, housing, and automotive sectors.

The Budget Outlook from
2009 to 2019

The dramatic expansion of the deficit in 2009 (up from
3.2 percent of GDP in 2008) results from a projected rise
in outlays of 24 percent (the largest percentage increase
since 1952)
and a drop in revenues of 17 percent from
last year’s levels (the largest percentage drop since 1932).
Those changes have largely been the result of the severe
economic downturn and the fiscal impact of federal policies
enacted in response.

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/105xx/doc10521/2009BudgetUpdate_Summary.pdf

Forgive me but, while the number of unemployed is less that it has been, that can hardly be measured as success unless we are not considering, 10.2% unemployment and 110K unemployed in one month as a success. The President in his state of the Union encouraged congress to pass Stimulus immediatly or we would lose an additional 2,3, or 4 million jobs in a a year. Well with the passage of this 750 billion dollar spending bill , we lost just what the President predicted we woud lose and spent the money anyway. So if lowering the standards are a measure of success then I suppose one could say that.

Mike

Great. By your blanket statement, then, this downturn can be fully blamed on the private sector. Thank you. When do you plan on digging us out?

How did you manage to twist that, from my comments?

It's government trying to play private sector which is the problem! It is government not understanding the private sector, yet inflicting them with regulations and fees which is counter productive.

It is governments lack of understanding which is the problem.

Further, jobs created by the government, are not the same as private sector jobs, but, Washington doesn't understand this. They see it as job growth when it isn't!

By the way, get the blood sucking liberals off my back and the ignorant republicans out of my way and I can do my part in digging out!

Mike

Thousands of state and local jobs were "saved" -- like educators, first reponders -- which would have been cut back without transfer of a lot of the stimulus money to the states. Try using your Google feature for a change before making ridiculous comments.

You can't be this naive?

In one Ohio city a graduating police academy class of 50 was counted as saved and given jobs due to Obama's bailouts. ............... yet what isn't told is that 3 months later the same city was forced to pass a local city tax increase to save 250 police jobs.

In other words, 50 jobs which were counted towards the positive by the Obama Klan, was false, it was a smoke screen hiding the large problem.

Jobs paid for by the government cannot count as real job growth. Government jobs saved by bailouts cannot be seen as a positive. It's like tossing fairy dust on a wild fire and expecting something magical to save you!

Mike

Forum List

Back