Welfare

C

Cousin Vinnie

How can we come up with a descent welfare program that doesn't simply encourage people to sit around and do nothing. Can it be done?

yeah. Dont give money to people who dont work. It will work. Because those who can work will work and they will earn all the money they need to live on.

"and what of those that cant work??? toss em off a cliff??"

How many people truely cant work? We should take there of those who cant work, but not those who wont work.

I am not one to encourage many social programs, but John is right, there are people who can not work even if they wanted to and they must be taken care of. In fact it is a crying shame that the people that really deserve a helping hand are forced to live a sub-standard life because of the abuses of the system. I worked in Manhattan for many years and daily I saw young men who were able to work sitting on the steps of apartment complexes drinking and selling drugs on our dime ! This is the crap that has to stop.

All receipients should be drug tested on a regular basis, fingerprinted to make sure they are not registering for aid in more than one county or under fake ID's, job training should be mandatory, and in the mean time you should have to do work for the city, county, or state, unless of course there is a medical reason you can not, and this is just a start !!!!

Again John is right, when I was younger I was far more hard core than I am now. Age tends to temper oneself and through experience you realize that not everything is black and white. It is very easy for me to weigh judgment on people, because of the extensive amount of taxes I am required to pay, but I try to be balanced in my judgement.

Unless someone has absolutly no family left, there is no excuse for welfare. Orphans have aunts, uncles, grandparents who should step up. If someone never had children and their parents and siblings are gone, perhaps they need assistance. There's just too many instances when the state ends up taking over because families abdicate their responsibilities towards each other.

For all the people who supposedly can't work, I doubt there's any voracity to 90% of the claims. Perhaps they could provide transportation or child care? They could answer phones or proof read something. There are many kinds of jobs.

If, in the rare instance, there really is someone who cannot do one single thing of value, well then what are they doing here anyway? Were they injured? Are they ill? If that's the case then there should be a system in which they could have medical care, food and shelter. Notice I didn't say money for those things. They should be provided but there should be no ability for them to trade the value of these things for other stuff (like people do with food stamps, free medical care and housing stipends).

I don't think there are that many who fall into either category.

People receiving welfare should have to do labor to for the city to repay it. The wheelchair bound would have to make potholders to repay their debt to society. Quads will have to write physics books like Stephen j Hawking.

Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie
How can we come up with a descent welfare program that doesn't simply encourage people to sit around and do nothing. Can it be done?

One word answer:

No.

the surplus layabouts and donothings should be made into soylent green.

Moi...you are right in some aspects...however.. sometimes it takes YEARS to get INTO the system....some people have taken 8 or more years to get SS ...what are they to do in the mean time??? the only fast way to get SS..or SSI is to be terminal with a very short life span...and then it still takes 3 or 4 months....the ones that need it the most are the ones denied...

I think private institutions should take care of welfare. like Churches or charities.

I have a problem with people being charitable with other peoples money. These people need to remember that they are not entitled to the money they are recieving, its a gift. If they do not realize this, they are ungrateful. By letting people give voluntarily, it wont create the bitterness that is felt now and will allow the people who to realize it is indeed a gift and they will appreciate it more and be more willing to work for it.

The Current welfare system is inspired by Satan. Its fundamentally evil.

Originally posted by jon_forward
Moi...you are right in some aspects...however.. sometimes it takes YEARS to get INTO the system....some people have taken 8 or more years to get SS ...what are they to do in the mean time??? the only fast way to get SS..or SSI is to be terminal with a very short life span...and then it still takes 3 or 4 months....the ones that need it the most are the ones denied...
To be clear, I do believe that people who are sick and/or injured should received assistance. And should recieve it as they need it- not years away. I also believe that without all the waste, there wouldn't be a time delay. The fact is that if the money weren't diverted to those who don't need but prefer to be lazy and not get off their fat arses, we could offer a much smoother time for those who truly need the assistance. I think veterans too would get better treatment because, again, the money would be there as it's not in some skank's pocket.

Forum List

Back