Week 16, and the NFL is Embarrassingly on Decline, Empty Seats Galore

The ghost of Kaepernick is smiling.

hqdefault.jpg

Is the NFL still around?
Yeah, I think so.

Saw something about it as I surfed the chanels this morning.

I think. I was a Patriots fan, still am notionally, but I have not watched one single game all year and I cannot imagine going back to one day weekends again in order to resume.

I haven't heard a thing about the kneelers in months now. Guess that shit is just yesterday's news now.
That is like saying the dead man drank the Hemlock several days ago so its 'yesterdays news'.

Not to him it isnt, lol.

Die National Felons League, just F'ing die.

Broke? I'm pretty sure the NFL is still the highest-grossing sports league in the US by a margin of billions of dollars.

You libs sure seem addicted to static analysis.

NFL revenues are going to change big time as their loss of viewers and attendants will eventually cost them revenue, while their financial obligations are in fact going to grow.

NFL Ad Revenue Crashes Due to 2017 Ratings Decline

The National Football League’s 2018 ad revenue has sharply declined due to the crashing television ratings the league suffered in 2016 and 2017, according to reports.
The NFL’s TV ratings suffered a precipitous loss over the previous two seasons, with the 2016-2017 numbers down 10 percent. TV ad pricing is based on previous ratings periods, and so these declines seriously cut into the ad prices that the league could charge for the 2018 TV season.

Because of the bad numbers from last season, ad revenue fell 19 percent in the first two months of the 2018 season, Bloomberg reported.

I haven't heard a thing about the kneelers in months now. Guess that shit is just yesterday's news now.

Actually, the NFL is not even broadcasting the national anthem, and not publicizing who is kneeling and who is standing for it.

Really working hard to keep the fans in the dark.

Actually, the NFL is not even broadcasting the national anthem, and not publicizing who is kneeling and who is standing for it.

Really working hard to keep the fans in the dark.
The trashy anthem should be changed anyway. I nominate One Nation Under a Grove

Broke? I'm pretty sure the NFL is still the highest-grossing sports league in the US by a margin of billions of dollars.

You libs sure seem addicted to static analysis.

NFL revenues are going to change big time as their loss of viewers and attendants will eventually cost them revenue, while their financial obligations are in fact going to grow.

NFL Ad Revenue Crashes Due to 2017 Ratings Decline

The National Football League’s 2018 ad revenue has sharply declined due to the crashing television ratings the league suffered in 2016 and 2017, according to reports.
The NFL’s TV ratings suffered a precipitous loss over the previous two seasons, with the 2016-2017 numbers down 10 percent. TV ad pricing is based on previous ratings periods, and so these declines seriously cut into the ad prices that the league could charge for the 2018 TV season.

Because of the bad numbers from last season, ad revenue fell 19 percent in the first two months of the 2018 season, Bloomberg reported.

Actually, the NFL TV ratings are up a bit from last year, and NFL games are still far and away the most watched individual broadcasts on TV.

NFL's TV ratings up 5 percent in 2018 season

Still, the NFL TV ratings have been down quite a bit the past few years. That's absolutely true. On the other hand, TV ratings in general have been going down recently, and the numbers I've seen indicate the overall drop in TV ratings has actually been greater in general than it has been for the NFL.

The truth about NFL television ratings
The Five Ratings Numbers That Prove the NFL Is Dying (and the Five That Prove the League Will Never Die)

Overall NFL revenue appears to be continuing its constant increasing.

NFL revenue 2001-2017 | Statistic

Does the NFL have some issues, including the bad press it got from the protestors? Yes. Is the league dying, going broke, or even being overcome by any other sports league in the US? Nope.

You don't like the NFL, don't want to watch? OK. That doesn't mean the league, which is making more than $13 billion a year and has increased its viewership some from last year to this year, is on its last legs. :)

I understand people who give up on watching the NFL, or who have never wanted to watch, but this desire I've seen from a number of posters here to paint the NFL as some sort of collapsing business is odd to me.

I understand people who give up on watching the NFL, or who have never wanted to watch, but this desire I've seen from a number of posters here to paint the NFL as some sort of collapsing business is odd to me.

Its the actions of the NFL itself that give people that impression.

If everything was going fine with the NFL, they would be proudly embracing the players disrespecting the Veterans by kneeling.

The announcers would be on the air, advising those who might be offended "tough shit, there are other things on TV and other things to do other than football on Sunday afternoon".

Its the actions of the NFL itself that give people that impression.

If everything was going fine with the NFL, they would be proudly embracing the players disrespecting the Veterans by kneeling.

The announcers would be on the air, advising those who might be offended "tough shit, there are other things on TV and other things to do other than football on Sunday afternoon".

Care to try that again, only with some sense?

I was pretty clear that the NFL has issues, but that doesn't mean the league isn't continuing to make money at a level far greater than any other sports league in the US. Whether the NFL embraces the protesting players or not is not a particularly good indicator of the success of the league. Your comment about announcers telling people "tough shit" is just ridiculous.

You don't like the NFL, don't want to watch? OK. That doesn't mean the league, which is making more than $13 billion a year and has increased its viewership some from last year to this year, is on its last legs. :)

I didnt say it was.

The empty stadiums are more of a leading indicator than my distaste for that barbaric game.

I didnt say it was.

The empty stadiums are more of a leading indicator than my distaste for that barbaric game.

I think a big part of the blame for that probably lies with prices being far too high. Spending hundreds of dollars to watch a game is a big deal for most people. With more reasonable pricing they might have more butts in the seats. It also could have to do with younger fans being more comfortable just watching at home, or even older fans becoming happier with it, as people get better, bigger TVs with better picture quality than was available in the past.

Empty seats is certainly not something the NFL can be happy with.

Forum List

Back