Do not be surprised if the NFL is not around 10 to 15 years from now.Here is why.

Not near term

But as fear of CTE continues, more and more parents will keep their sons out of football. In an effort to make the game "safer" the sport will be watered down to the point it becomes glorified touch football

Not going to happen.
Watch the Pro Bowl next week. That is what the NFL will become as they water down their product. Defense will be outlawed and all games will be 52-46

Nonsense. The Pro Bowl has always sucked.

Enjoy it

With the NFL watering down their product, it is the future of football
No Defense and a game built around passing to receivers who can't be covered or hit

Glorified touch football with more commercials

Stop being hysterical.
No soup for you!

BZzzzzzzzz! Wrong

When even Bo Jackson says he wouldn't let his sons play football and numerous football players agree, the days of serious football are numbered
When kids are kept out of Pop Warner and HS Football, the supply of talent will dry up

If mothers don't kill football, the insurance companies will as schools can't afford the insurance

Your faith in pussification is zealous.

You have obviously been in some cocoon for the last decade

CTE is the word of the day. Players are retiring in their early twenties because of concussions. Doesn't make them pussies, just pragmatic

Football is not going away. Sorry. More and better concern for player safety is great, but the sport is not going away.

Not near term

But as fear of CTE continues, more and more parents will keep their sons out of football. In an effort to make the game "safer" the sport will be watered down to the point it becomes glorified touch football

Not going to happen.

Already happening, kid...teams are forfeiting games because they can't field a full team!

And again: school football will end the moment they can no longer get insurance!

CTE is the word of the day. Players are retiring in their early twenties because of concussions. Doesn't make them pussies, just pragmatic

Football is not going away. Sorry. More and better concern for player safety is great, but the sport is not going away.

Not near term

Not going to happen.

Already happening, kid...teams are forfeiting games because they can't field a full team!

And again: school football will end the moment they can no longer get insurance!

As school budgets become tighter, schools on the margin will drop football because of the cost of insurance

And insurance is a legitimate expenditure. If a pro player gets a lifetime injury, he is covered by his union and millions of dollars in salary. A High Schools life is ruined and he gets nothing. Schools will have to pay for insurance that will get more and more expensive

The simple fact is that the NFL is the top sport in the US by a wide margin. And the ticket sales for stadiums amounts to a rounding error for most team's balance sheet. The money is in the tv coverage. And as long as they are making millions for the teams and players are cashing huge endorsement checks, the game will continue.

It will evolve. But it will not disappear.

There are so many high school players trying to get on to college teams that many go away empty handed. Those kids are 17 years old. 27 is hardly ancient, even in the NFL, so the steady supply of eager participants is there. The tv fans are there. Money is there to be made.

Two or three massive concussion settlements could bankrupt the league. One could bankrupt their minor league, especially when (not if) malfeasance is demonstrated. (Division 1 colleges.)

Not near term

Not going to happen.

When exactly do you prophesy this end? Be specific so you can look like as much of an ass as possible when it doesn't happen.

Not being an insurance adjuster or on a school board, I hve no idea...but it WILL happen, the chance is 100%.

The Sun WILL expand and consume the Earth one day, but it's immaterial to us. If you can't call it within a decade, you're just talking out your ass.

The simple fact is that the NFL is the top sport in the US by a wide margin. And the ticket sales for stadiums amounts to a rounding error for most team's balance sheet. The money is in the tv coverage. And as long as they are making millions for the teams and players are cashing huge endorsement checks, the game will continue.

It will evolve. But it will not disappear.

There are so many high school players trying to get on to college teams that many go away empty handed. Those kids are 17 years old. 27 is hardly ancient, even in the NFL, so the steady supply of eager participants is there. The tv fans are there. Money is there to be made.

good points,that is why I said PROBABLY.I could be wrong,they could still be around 15 years from now,we'll just have to wait and see but I dont see ratings improving next year.people are pretty disgusted with the NFL now with viewship at an all time low.dont see it getting any better next year.would be a MAJOR shocker if they did.

Not being an insurance adjuster or on a school board, I hve no idea...but it WILL happen, the chance is 100%.

The Sun WILL expand and consume the Earth one day, but it's immaterial to us. If you can't call it within a decade, you're just talking out your ass.
Ten to fifteen years, probably...sooner, if any big colleges get buried by a concussion coverup scandal.

Ten to fifteen years, probably...sooner, if any big colleges get buried by a concussion coverup scandal.

Ok, in ten years you come back here and admit you're an idiot.

What will be the impact of CTE on the NFL?

Right now they are trying to contain it by scaling down kickoffs and on-side kicks. Any contact to the head gets flags. The NFL is praying that will be enough.

But there still is repetitive helmet collisions on the lines, players get their heads slammed on the ground during legal hits, heads get slammed back

The problem is that players are too big...too fast and too strong......and too drugged

CTE is a fact of life in the game. Top players are saying they won't let their kids play, players are retiring early. It will reach a point where insurance won't cover it at the local and college level

Not 10 or 15 years but I could expect the game being a sideshow by 25 years

Super Bowl Party: Drawing

Ya know, the match-ups for Super Bowls aren't what they used to be.

Remember the 'good ole days': e.g., 49ers-Bengals, Raiders-Eagles, Rams-Steelers, Bills-Giants, etc?

Matchups for Super Bowls since 1998 have been less than ideal: e.g., Patriots-Eagles, Steelers-Cardinals, Saints-Colts, etc.

In other words, the recent matchups reflect various free agency related approaches to professional sports. Team spirit is down and shortcuts are the thing to do.

So for his Super Bowl, I'm gonna do my darndest to make sure the Falcons feel like they're being well-cheered for, given that this will be the Patriots' 7th Super Bowl appearance and Brady's chance to win his 5th title, making him the Roger Federer of the NFL. BORING!!!

I'll be serving my special 'hash brownies,' mango-rum, breadcrumb shrimp, and coconut-spiced wings. If the Falcons win, we'll watch Heaven Can Wait afterwards!

If there's no NFL in 10 years, I'll remember those darn Matt Ryan Falcons from 2017...

helmets.jpg

Forum List

Back