We are becoming a nation of college-degreed numbskulls

heirtothewind

VIP Member
Oct 17, 2014
Las Vegas NV
When I went to Kent State [1964-68], majors were limited to subjects that prepared students to enter a profession. Now this university, like others, offer ''party-school majors'' such as gay studies, women studies, pan-African studies, and integrated studies [for seniors who failed to choose and pursue a major]. When I was a supervisory attorney for a federal agency, I was astounded that members of my staff lacked basic writing skills [eg, use of the active voice, use of parallel construction] and had no idea of what I was explaining because they ''weren't English majors.'' One attorney, of sorts, had no clue about when the American Civil War occurred. [I did not hire them. I ''inherited'' them upon transfer.]

I believe student loans should be eliminated and replaced with outright grants to the best and brightest high school students who commit to pursuing careers in medicine, law, journalism, accounting, business administration, architecture, engineering, mathematics, sciences, social work, education, and other useful occupations. I know this view is elitist, but the student loan program is producing a nation of debtors with college degrees who cannot express themselves beyond a 140-character text or intelligently discuss any topic of history or science.

Many schools do maintain high academic standards; however, far too often, a school's reputation rests either on its athletic success or its easy curriculum qualifying it as a '''party school'' at the expense of wealthy parents or the taxpayers.

I invite your opinion and experiences.

When I went to Kent State [1964-68], majors were limited to subjects that prepared students to enter a profession. Now this university, like others, offer ''party-school majors'' such as gay studies, women studies, pan-African studies, and integrated studies [for seniors who failed to choose and pursue a major]. When I was a supervisory attorney for a federal agency, I was astounded that members of my staff lacked basic writing skills [eg, use of the active voice, use of parallel construction] and had no idea of what I was explaining because they ''weren't English majors.'' One attorney, of sorts, had no clue about when the American Civil War occurred. [I did not hire them. I ''inherited'' them upon transfer.]

I believe student loans should be eliminated and replaced with outright grants to the best and brightest high school students who commit to pursuing careers in medicine, law, journalism, accounting, business administration, architecture, engineering, mathematics, sciences, social work, education, and other useful occupations. I know this view is elitist, but the student loan program is producing a nation of debtors with college degrees who cannot express themselves beyond a 140-character text or intelligently discuss any topic of history or science.

Many schools do maintain high academic standards; however, far too often, a school's reputation rests either on its athletic success or its easy curriculum qualifying it as a '''party school'' at the expense of wealthy parents or the taxpayers.

I invite your opinion and experiences.
Not much to argue with there....what is your opinion on the use of nukes to win wars and move ahead with education reform?

"Use the active voice" falls in the category of "bad writing rules". Many sources say to avoid the passive voice, but they can't actually give a good reason to avoid it. Passive voice is often the better way to go. For example,

A. "The steak was perfectly cooked"

B. "The chef cooked the steak perfectly."

Sentence A, using passive voice, is a better choice than sentence B with the active voice. If the entity performing the action is irrelevant, there's no point in using active voice to mention that entity.

Other bad writing rules we've been taught (hey, passive voice) are "don't split infinitives", "don't end a sentence with a preposition", and "don't start a sentence with a conjunction".

I'm a contractor and they complain all the time that they can't get or keep young guys because they've all been taught that you must get a college degree to get ahead in life. Government backing loans makes this possible with escalating rates. Out of control rates, really, with universities laughing all the way to the bank.

I do have a degree but wish I had gone to a trade school instead and saved myself some trouble.

Other bad writing rules we've been taught (hey, passive voice) are "don't split infinitives", "don't end a sentence with a preposition", and "don't start a sentence with a conjunction".

Don't call something a "bad writing rule" just because you aren't yourself a gifted writer.

Sorry, but the English language is bigger than you.

"Use the active voice" falls in the category of "bad writing rules". Many sources say to avoid the passive voice, but they can't actually give a good reason to avoid it. Passive voice is often the better way to go. For example,

A. "The steak was perfectly cooked"

B. "The chef cooked the steak perfectly."

Sentence A, using passive voice, is a better choice than sentence B with the active voice. If the entity performing the action is irrelevant, there's no point in using active voice to mention that entity.

And I do into the night

Ah, here they come. Lefties to the rescue with obfuscation, diversion, and outright lies. No surprised here.

A college degree carries as much weight today as a high school degree carried 30 years ago. College is now more of a business enterprise than anything to do with education.

That's the first sensible comment I've seen you make. Keep working at it.

A college degree carries as much weight today as a high school degree carried 30 years ago. College is now more of a business enterprise than anything to do with education.

Sweet. That means I'm 1 up on you.

Sweet. That means I'm 1 up on you.

No, you're still a moron.....

Well at least my posts are memorable enough for you to know about me. I, on the other hand, have no idea who you are :eusa_think:

This is news?

The "Literary" people decide what "education" is.

Most science fiction readers do not give a damn about SCIENCE. They think Dr. Who is science fiction. The only difference between the "sonic screwdriver" and Harry Potter's wand is the techy sounding name.

psik

Most science fiction readers do not give a damn about SCIENCE. They think Dr. Who is science fiction. The only difference between the "sonic screwdriver" and Harry Potter's wand is the techy sounding name.

And in ... 3...2...1...

Forum List

Back