Ways to control emotions in public

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
How do you deal with having difficulty controlling your emotions in public? I often think of a time as an adult when everyone else in the room was getting emotional and it made me get emotional. I lost it for a few seconds and had to fight back an urge for a brief moment to run out of the room I was so embarrassed. I quickly regained my composure in a few seconds and I'm not sure if anyone noticed I had actually started crying. I tried to subtly check for and wipe away any tears by acting like I was scratching an itch on my face, except I'm not sure if I fooled anybody. Have any of you had experiences like that where you kind of lost it for a second when a room full of about 50 to 100 people getting emotional caused you to struggle to keep control? If so, how did you deal with it?

My getting emotional is limited to anger. As I have aged I realized I cant beat compliance into everyone so this has caused me to not to get emotional anymore. I'm naturally an observer in public. I love watching people interact and I love saying things and watching people react. If you look at people as a curiosity you will rarely be affected by what they are doing.

How do you deal with having difficulty controlling your emotions in public? I often think of a time as an adult when everyone else in the room was getting emotional and it made me get emotional. I lost it for a few seconds and had to fight back an urge for a brief moment to run out of the room I was so embarrassed. I quickly regained my composure in a few seconds and I'm not sure if anyone noticed I had actually started crying. I tried to subtly check for and wipe away any tears by acting like I was scratching an itch on my face, except I'm not sure if I fooled anybody. Have any of you had experiences like that where you kind of lost it for a second when a room full of about 50 to 100 people getting emotional caused you to struggle to keep control? If so, how did you deal with it?
It's a perfectly normal, empathetic reaction to get teared up when others are crying. Why did it freak you out so bad to join them?
I shouldn't talk. I find it impossible to cry in front of other people. They tell me it's a deep seated trust issue.

I might add that since humans are social animals we are instinctively geared to be impacted by the emotions, actions, and thought patterns of the people we are around.

In my opinion there is nothing more pathetic than adults who behave like children, screaming, crying, throwing tantrums....with no self control at all. That shows only weakness.

One must have some kind of inner mechanism to control oneself, some sort of inner restrain of emotions...how? I don't know....this depens on each one.

Hemingway said it all - "Grace under pressure"-

Grace .....no matter the amount of pressure you are under...always behave with dignity.

My humble opinion.

I was raised in the 50s and 60s, when males were taught to control their emotions in order to use the mind to its highest useful capacity. There is little useful to be gained from losing control, or collapsing into a blubbering heap.

In my opinion there is nothing more pathetic than adults who behave like children, screaming, crying, throwing tantrums....with no self control at all. That shows only weakness.

One must have some kind of inner mechanism to control oneself, some sort of inner restrain of emotions...how? I don't know....this depens on each one.

Hemingway said it all - "Grace under pressure"-

Grace .....no matter the amount of pressure you are under...always behave with dignity.

My humble opinion.
Seeing a man fall apart is what will make me fall apart. I went to complete and total pieces when I saw one of my male cousins fall apart after losing his dad (My cousin went forward ten years later.) and I bawled when I saw the film named Con Air for the first time at the end when Nicholas Cage fell into the arms of his wife and daughter.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

P.S. As for such a response showing weakness, even if it does, I don't believe that showing your feelings in such a way should be held against anyone, especially if whatever is being dealt with is horrific enough because people mourn and grieve in different ways...unless it only drives them into hurting/killing others and themselves. I pray and I pray and I pray that the Lord forgives those who go on to doing themselves in.

If you have to cry.... or are having some kind of emotional attack do it in private, go to the bathroom..... whatever

Don't open your guts for the world to see, it's not becoming.

If you have to cry.... or are having some kind of emotional attack do it in private, go to the bathroom..... whatever

Don't open your guts for the world to see, it's not becoming.

full-metal-jacket.gif

It's a perfectly normal, empathetic reaction to get teared up when others are crying. Why did it freak you out so bad to join them?
I shouldn't talk. I find it impossible to cry in front of other people. They tell me it's a deep seated trust issue.

The reason I had trouble is because it seemed like there were about 100 people in the church. I had trouble because my mom was having a hard time because my parents had gotten married at a young age, her kids had all grown up and left, and I was wondering how she would do on her own. I lost my train of thought for a few seconds and before I knew it, I was starting to cry and almost lost my composure for a few seconds. I quickly cleared my mind and breathed. I regain control in a few seconds and I think I played it off pretty well and I hope no one noticed.

The reason I had trouble is because it seemed like there were about 100 people in the church. I had trouble because my mom was having a hard time because my parents had gotten married at a young age, her kids had all grown up and left, and I was wondering how she would do on her own. I lost my train of thought for a few seconds and before I knew it, I was starting to cry and almost lost my composure for a few seconds. I quickly cleared my mind and breathed. I regain control in a few seconds and I think I played it off pretty well and I hope no one noticed.
You were at your father's funeral and you panicked that you might shed a tear?
I think that would have been okay.
There is something wrong with the concept that we can show anger, hatred, contempt to one another but shedding a tear or two is somehow a public disgrace. Scratching my head at that. I believe there is a great fear of "emotion" by some people here; they just forget that the range of emotions includes those that they have no problem succumbing to on a daily basis here.

In a way, i envy those who show emotions. I cannot cry. I did not cry when my husband died or when my beloved pets passed. I avoid emotions in others. When I see tears, I leave. I dislike someone complaining about pain. Suck it up butter cup. The most common emotion I feel is fury which I express as ice. Cold and extremely calm. I might even smile.

When I was younger i had inappropriate emotions. I would laugh at the sight of blood even if it was my knife that caused it.

Last edited:

There is something wrong with the concept that we can show anger, hatred, contempt to one another but shedding a tear or two is somehow a public disgrace. Scratching my head at that. I believe there is a great fear of "emotion" by some people here; they just forget that the range of emotions includes those that they have no problem succumbing to on a daily basis here.

The only purpose of emotion is motivation. When there is nothing you can do, there us no purpose being served in emotion. Compose yourself in public, go home and punch a few holes in the wall to vent the negative emotions. Compose yourself and move on afterwards.

The only purpose of emotion is motivation. When there is nothing you can do, there us no purpose being served in emotion. Compose yourself in public, go home and punch a few holes in the wall to vent the negative emotions. Compose yourself and move on afterwards.
Did you know that tears literally wash away the chemicals that make you sad? Emotion isn't about serving a purpose. It simply is. Like gas.

How about smoking a joint so fat it resembles a tampon (I'm an excellent joint roller and most of you are doing it wrong)? I gotta have my Tampax to smoke.

Forum List

Back