Walmart's Philosophy of Screwing Workers

Walmart let's people saves money, no wonder Progressives hate them

And with the way you worded that post it's no wonder that Progressives are generally considered more intelligent. :eusa_whistle:

Yeah, they're considered intelligent by each other, the rest of us aren't impressed by a bunch of idiots who keep trying to revive the USSR.

The 99% does not need to organize.

Domestically, the 99% have no reason to organize. This is America. We may be created equally, and offered equal opportunity, but what I strive for may not be what you strive for. No offense, but i dont want "your desires" to get in the way of me ahceiving "my desires".

I am quite happy with the way things are for me....I made smart choices along the way. Many laughed at my conservative investing. Many laughed at me when I refused to take an ARM when I could have been locked in for the first 5 years at 1.5%. Many laughed at me when I did not ride the dot com craze.

Many questioned why I did not refinance to "re-do" my house.

Sorry...I dont see the need for us to "rise".

People need to learn to realize that they can only get hurt by anothers actions if they hope to capitalize n that poersons actions.

Hey...you may disagree...I understand your position...and respect it....

But my position? Has worked quite well for me and my family.

And please...those that want to spin my sentiments as

"I will get my way even if it fucks the other guy"....

That is not what I am saying.

What I am saying is that I do not depend on the other guy to get what I want.....and I prefer the other guy not depending on me to get him what he wants.

In the end, flat top, I think that's pretty much what we all want. My story sounds similar to yours. All most people want is a fair shot.

No. I think otherwise.

Most people want to "hit it big"...

And when it backfires, they want to blame others.

They talk about Walmart as being evil...but shop there for the lower prices.
They talk loud and blame others when their investments lose money.....but dont say a word when it makes them money
They dance to the store with cash in their pocket when they take an ARM refi....but then complain about how they were screwed when the rate jumps up.
They want higher taxes for those richer than they are...regardless of HOW rich they, themselves are...."I am top 10%....levy it on the top 5%". Now I am top 5%...levy it on the top 2%. I am top 60%...levy it on the top 50%

The best way for people to get a fair shot?

Do not depend on others.

]You can not be hurt by the system if you do not try to capitalize on the system.

And it has worked for me.

I don't deny there are people who think that way. Sadly, in this interconnected world we do depend on others more than we care to. And to a certain extent, that's not a bad thing. I read a book not long ago on early 1800's pioneer movement into Ohio, and the first arrivals were self sufficient because there was no one else around sans Indians, whom they more or less worked with for survival. Then as more arrived they networked for resources and help if not in small communities but in connected trails.

We're probably come at being "dependent on others" here in ways we may be misunderstanding. What do you mean?

In the end, flat top, I think that's pretty much what we all want. My story sounds similar to yours. All most people want is a fair shot.

No. I think otherwise.

They talk loud and blame others when their investments lose money.....but dont say a word when it makes them money
They dance to the store with cash in their pocket when they take an ARM refi....but then complain about how they were screwed when the rate jumps up.
They want higher taxes for those richer than they are...regardless of HOW rich they, themselves are...."I am top 10%....levy it on the top 5%". Now I am top 5%...levy it on the top 2%. I am top 60%...levy it on the top 50%

Do not depend on others.

]You can not be hurt by the system if you do not try to capitalize on the system.

I don't deny there are people who think that way. Sadly, in this interconnected world we do depend on others more than we care to. And to a certain extent, that's not a bad thing. I read a book not long ago on early 1800's pioneer movement into Ohio, and the first arrivals were self sufficient because there was no one else around sans Indians, whom they more or less worked with for survival. Then as more arrived they networked for resources and help if not in small communities but in connected trails.

We're probably come at being "dependent on others" here in ways we may be misunderstanding. What do you mean?

Depending on others for commerce/barter purposes is not a proiblem. That is a good thing.

I am referring to people depending on others to "make extra money"

For example....

People invest becuase they want their money to make money for them....

So now they are forced to depend on their investment advisor....not for everyday living....but for the luxury of having their money make money for them....and if the advisor fails? They throw a fit. Blame everyone but their own greed.

They want their homes to make money for them. Heck, most dont even own them...they simply have their name on title....the bank owns it. But if there is a deal out there where they can take cash out of the home they dont own? They want it...and if it fails...they blame the banks, the market.....but never their own greed.

And per this thread....

People want to blame Walmart for the lower salaries of the employees....yet they still go in the store and buy their products for the LOWER PRICES....giving Walmart reason to see it as a successful business model. They blame Walmart...not their own greed.

No. I think otherwise.

Do not depend on others.

Depending on others for commerce/barter purposes is not a proiblem. That is a good thing.

For example....

So now they are forced to depend on their investment advisor....not for everyday living....but for the luxury of having their money make money for them....and if the advisor fails? They throw a fit. Blame everyone but their own greed.

They want their homes to make money for them. Heck, most dont even own them...they simply have their name on title....the bank owns it. But if there is a deal out there where they can take cash out of the home they dont own? They want it...and if it fails...they blame the banks, the market.....but never their own greed.

And per this thread....

People want to blame Walmart for the lower salaries of the employees....yet they still go in the store and buy their products for the LOWER PRICES....giving Walmart reason to see it as a successful business model. They blame Walmart...not their own greed.

I get it - I agree. Thanks for the explanation. If you're going to roll the dice, don't expect to win all the time.

For example....

And per this thread....

I get it - I agree. Thanks for the explanation. If you're going to roll the dice, don't expect to win all the time.

Exactly.

But when you lose?

Blame yourself....not the other person you depended upon to "make you money".

Why?

Becuase when you blame yourself, you learn from your mistakes. When you blame others, you spend all of your energy looking for restitution.

Those that signed credit card applications without reading the contract? What did they learn? Not that they were irresponsible. No. They learned that the big bad credit card companies made the print too small.

Me?

If I cant read the print...or understand the contract...I either ask for a "laymans terms" explanation in wirting...or I do not enter the contract.

Much of the occupy movement was about blame. Thats why I did not care for it. All I heard was how the top 1% was hurting the bottom 99%.

As I demonstrated with my little rant here......the bottom 99% got hurt by the top 1% becuase they alllowed their own greed dictate their decision making.

People want to blame Walmart for the lower salaries of the employees....yet they still go in the store and buy their products for the LOWER PRICES....giving Walmart reason to see it as a successful business model. They blame Walmart...not their own greed
excellent !!!

[...]

But it was our desire as consumers that drove Walmart to come up with the idea. So I dont blame Walmart....and whereas I do not shop there (I bleieve in supporting the local merchant and lucky for me, I can afford to pay more for products), I am sure there are many people out there that thank Walmart for creating an environment that allows them to stretch their dollar further.
While I agree with your principle of supporting the local merchant I'm afraid the days when that available alternative are all but gone.

Today, where I live, the small merchant concept has been swallowed by the corporate whales. There are no more little guys. Today the commercial landscape is dominated by Costco, Staples, MacDonald's, Ace Hardware, Dick's Sporting Goods, Target, Home Depot, P.C. Richard's, WalMart, Lowes, Burger King, etc. And it's becoming the same all over America. If you drive cross-country you can't tell if you're in Maine or California unless it's snowing.

I'm lucky to have found one of the few remaining barber shops in America where a male barber offers the simple choice of a haircut or a trim and one is in-and-out in fifteen minutes. Because the alternative is a choice of salons, where one needs an appointment to be interviewed by a female stylist and clipped like a movie actor, one hair at a time.

It's bad when it oscillates between imminent rage and depression. I'm afraid we are moving (have moved?) from a sense of community into the state of mind known to behaviorists as, alienation. And that's not good.

You know, its all about attitude.

There is a poster on here who I disagree with at all levels...but I read her posts becuase i see her as the epitome of an attitude that many americans now have...and more are trending in that direction.

When I say an "attitude of entitlement" do not get the wrong idea. I am not referring to government entitlements. I happen to agree with welfare and food stamp programs.
I am referring to personal entitlement as an American.

She lives in Brooklyn. She works in Manhattan and makes 50K a year. During a healthcare debate, she went on about how it is impossible to pay her own insurance of $4000.

I asked her expenses...and she gave me some numbers....and she was correct. Her expenses were way too high...barely enough income to cover them.

But I questioned certain expenses and her responses displayed exactly what I see her as...and very much like the attitude I saw in occupy.

As for her rent...I told her she could get a room mate as many do in the area as rents are so high...

Her response..

"I have a four year degree. I paid my dues. I should not have to have a room mate if I dont want one"

I asked her why she spends so much money for food? Afterall, I live 20 minutes from her and I feed a family of four at less than she pays for a single woman.

Her response...

"You dont have to pay the prices on long island that I have to pay in Brooklyn."

I asked...why Brooklyn? You can move out where I am on the Island and pay half the rent?

Her response...

"why would I want to give myself an extra 20 minute commute each way?"

It is a very ugly attitude....and i can tell you....that kind of attitude does not work in the real world.

My son interviewed with a company and he truly wanted the opportunity. He read up on the company, its mission, its market impact; etc.....sadly he did that AFTER the interview, and as a result, his enthusiasm during the interview wasnt there and they declined him. In a letter, he offered them the opportunity to work there for free for a few weeks. He explained how he is confident that one day he will either be their competitor, or be with them, and right now, he prefers them. They did not take him up on it......instead, they hired him.

But sadly...many who may read this post will likely say to themselves...."why the heck should a college grad ever work for free"

An attitude of entitlement.

It truly is ugly.

[...]

But it was our desire as consumers that drove Walmart to come up with the idea. So I dont blame Walmart....and whereas I do not shop there (I bleieve in supporting the local merchant and lucky for me, I can afford to pay more for products), I am sure there are many people out there that thank Walmart for creating an environment that allows them to stretch their dollar further.
While I agree with your principle of supporting the local merchant I'm afraid the days when that available alternative are all but gone.

Today, where I live, the small merchant concept has been swallowed by the corporate whales. There are no more little guys. Today the commercial landscape is dominated by Costco, Staples, MacDonald's, Ace Hardware, Dick's Sporting Goods, Target, Home Depot, P.C. Richard's, WalMart, Lowes, Burger King, etc. And it's becoming the same all over America. If you drive cross-country you can't tell if you're in Maine or California unless it's snowing.

I'm lucky to have found one of the few remaining barber shops in America where a male barber offers the simple choice of a haircut or a trim and one is in-and-out in fifteen minutes. Because the alternative is a choice of salons, where one needs an appointment to be interviewed by a female stylist and clipped like a movie actor, one hair at a time.

It's bad when it oscillates between imminent rage and depression. I'm afraid we are moving (have moved?) from a sense of community into the state of mind known to behaviorists as, alienation. And that's not good.

The only reason those mega retailers succeeeded in your area is becuase the people of your area prefered a different concept.....be it a larger store...or lower prices....

You can not blame the companies. They are servicing the wants of the community. If they werent, then people would continue using the local merchant, and the mega stores would fail.

Staffing shortages are sending customers fleeing to rival retailers

Walmart has a problem, says Renee Dudley at Bloomberg News. Plagued with empty shelves, bulging stock rooms, and long checkout lines, America's largest retail chain is losing customers to Target, Costco, and other rival retailers.

Clawson blames Walmart's philosophy of "screwing workers,"

She points out that rival chains like Costco and Trader Joe's pay and treat their employees better, leading to higher productivity and happier customers and workers.

Why Walmart's shelves are empty

I find myself sometimes sticking for Walmart, but I really can't stand the store. To I shop there? Occasionally, but only for food and I have compared shop. Many of the other groceries stores (not name Jewel or Dominicks) have comparable and many times better prices.

I find myself on the right, but I do enjoy watching Walmart take some hits!

[...]

Much of the occupy movement was about blame. Thats why I did not care for it. All I heard was how the top 1% was hurting the bottom 99%.
As I understand it, the main problem affecting the Occupy movement is it was not sufficiently organized and it unexpectedly burgeoned out of control. No advance provision was made for such essentials as toilet facilities or to control the exploitative incursion of troublemakers and homeless crazies. That, not greed on the part of the protesters, is what sabotaged the movement.

Oh fuck off Dave. There was no "entitlement" spoken of or inferred in my health insurance post AT ALL. I live just fine (as you very well know), and if you think that health insurance costs are not completely out of reach for all but the very wealthy, well, then youre dumber and more willfully ignorant than I thought. Of course you would take what I said out of context and lie. I would expect nothing more from you.

The post you were referring to was me saying that the average person on their own COULD NOT AFFORD HEALTH INSURANCE IF THEIR EMPLOYER DIDN'T OFFER IT / HELP PAY FOR IT. That is the truth. You can deny it all you want, but that is the truth. I am able to put a good chunk in savings every month and have maxed out my match on my 401K, so obviously I'm not "scraping by" as you suggested. As you very well know, also, I was not only referring to myself, but to most other Americans. Nice try.

Oh, and I love how you left off the fact that living in Long Island would drastically increase my transportation costs, as I would not only have to buy a monthly Metrocard, but also a LIRR pass. Typical of you, though.

Last edited:
[...]

As I understand it, the main problem affecting the Occupy movement is it was not sufficiently organized and it unexpectedly burgeoned out of control. No advance provision was made for such essentials as toilet facilities or to control the exploitative incursion of troublemakers and homeless crazies. That, not greed on the part of the protesters, is what sabotaged the movement.

I never said greed sabotaged the movement. All of that "news reel highlught" stuff of people acting like animals did not define the movement for me. I grew up in the 70's. I know much about movements. It was expected to have the rifraff enter it and take the spotlight. ANd in New York? there were enough to ruin the message.

What defined it for me was the attitude of entitlement. "we deserve this" and "we deserve that"...I mean...... They were primarily 18-25 year olds. Got news for ya folks. No 18-25 has earned ANYTHING they think they deserve.

Yes, the economy is moving up; housing prices, employment, and the stock market are definitively improving. However, the economic surge is far from being shared by all Americans. Those with experience, education, and high skill levels are in great demand and can write their own ticket. However, the picture is much different for low skilled workers with minimal education. For example in some parts of the country 80% of the Walmart workers are on food stamps and getting a job is not easy. I don't see this getting any better. In fact it's going to get worse as automation and foreign completion take away more and more jobs from the working poor.

That's true Flipper. The great thing about American during the "Great Compression" (post WW II where the gap between the haves and the have nots was not as wide) was that guys like my dad with a HS diploma and two years in the Navy could have a great blue collar job and raise a family. Gone are those days. What you're describing is the growing pains of the new global economy where billions of NEW shoppers are being lifted out of poverty world wide, creating markets that never existed before. It's taking its toll on the United States. They don't care if our middle class gets depleted - other countries are there to purchase and do business in now, so we're not as important. At least not now. Let's hope that changes as this thing evolves.

It is deeper than that. Yes, what you describe is an issue....and maybe one that can be eliminated. But it will be all for naught for there is a problem we can not control'

Advances in technology.

What drives technology? The desire to "do it" quicker and cheaper without compromising quality.

Not long ago, a machine worker would spend his day loading stock into the lathe, calibrating the lathe, and popping out 25 twenty foot bars worth of copper stock...all hand turned.....applying his skill and pride in his workmanship.

Now?

One worker sets a computer for 3 CNC lathes; loads the bar; and pushes "start" and he spends his day wtaching the machine do the work....producing 75 bars worth of stock in a day...eliminating 2 jobs.

Now, spread that over the entire world and what do you have?

An ever increasing population, and a quickly decreasing need for blue collar labor.
You are hitting on the most important and difficult problem we face as nation; more important than deficits, healthcare, or other subsidiarity issues.

In the early 60's, a plant near my home employed over 400 workers; by 1980 there were 200. Today there's less than a hundred workers yet they produce twice what they produced in the 60's. This is a financial success story for the business and a disaster for most of the workers and their families.

The popular idea in mid 20th century was that displaced workers would acquire new skills and move on to better higher paying jobs. That was true for some, but for most it was a lie. Technology has grown exponentially, displacing workers at higher and higher skill levels. Low skill level jobs have become harder and harder to get. They don't pay enough to support a family and most are dead end jobs.

Technological advances and pressure on labor prices from abroad will continue to reduce low skilled jobs. We are looking at a future in which factories only need these workers in shipping and receiving, retail stores that are just warehouses where people pickup goods ordered on the Internet. This will lead to more dependence on social services driving up the cost of government.

Our competition overseas recognizes that the only way to grow and prosper in the 21st century is to develop the most highly skilled and innovated workforce in the world which means the best educational system, one with strong national goals and leadership. It's time that we recognized that education is not just important, but it's crucial for national survival.

Oh fuck off Dave. There was no "entitlement" spoken of or inferred in my health insurance post AT ALL. I live just fine (as you very well know), and if you think that health insurance costs are not completely out of reach for all but the very wealthy, well, then youre dumber and more willfully ignorant than I thought. Of course you would take what I said out of context and lie. I would expect nothing more from you.

The post you were referring to was me saying that the average person on their own COULD NOT AFFORD HEALTH INSURANCE IF THEIR EMPLOYER DIDN'T OFFER IT / HELP PAY FOR IT. That is the truth. You can deny it all you want, but that is the truth. I am able to put a good chunk in savings every month and have maxed out my match on my 401K, so obviously I'm not "scraping by" as you suggested. As you very well know, also, I was not only referring to myself, but to most other Americans. Nice try.

Oh, and I love how you left off the fact that living in Long Island would drastically increase my transportation costs, as I would not only have to buy a monthly Metrocard, but also a LIRR pass. Typical of you, though.

Uh...excuse me.....you go from 1800 a month to 500 a month rent.....your food costs go from 400 a week to 200 a week.....and your commute increases by 150 a month.

Yes, I left it out becuase it is irrelevant in the overall schme of things.

As for the earlier part of your post.....you sepw the entitlement attitude in a post where you are telling me I am full of shit.

You admit you cant pay for health insuirance becuase you opt to have your money make money for you in a 401(k).

You are one who will never acheive great success. You are too wrapped up in "what you deserve and want" and have no desire to find a way to acheive it.

[...]

Why do you think that is?
Because of Big Government and Unions.
Bigger Corporations can absorb the costs of more over burdening regulations by Government and Unions who pressure for higher wages.
Small shops can not compete with this and they go out of business.

[...]

Why do you think that is?
Because of Big Government and Unions.
Bigger Corporations can absorb the costs of more over burdening regulations by Government and Unions who pressure for higher wages.
Small shops can not compete with this and they go out of business.

Yes...but the bottom line is this...

It is the community...the consumer.....that makes that decision. It is the wants, desires, and greed of the people that decides the fates of companies.

If people were willing to conitnue to pay the slightly higher prices with their local merchant, the mega stores would fail.

But instead they opt for the lower prices.

Ironically....

The greed of the 99% decides the fate of the 1%

And THAT is where Occupy is missing it.

Uh...excuse me.....you go from 1800 a month to 500 a month rent.....your food costs go from 400 a week to 200 a week.....and your commute increases by 150 a month.

As for the earlier part of your post.....you sepw the entitlement attitude in a post where you are telling me I am full of shit.

You admit you cant pay for health insuirance becuase you opt to have your money make money for you in a 401(k).

You are one who will never acheive great success. You are too wrapped up in "what you deserve and want" and have no desire to find a way to acheive it.

MORON.

1. My rent isn't anything close to $1800 a month, and you cannot rent in Long Island for $500 - living is expensive there too.
2. I pay about $50 a week for food, if that... and I buy local and organic
3. Most Americans could not afford to purchase health insurance on their own. Most rely on their employer to help pay for it, myself included. As in I ALREADY HAVE & PAY FOR HEALTH INSURANCE. Dumbass.
4. So now I'm not successful? You are a true idiot with absolutely no reading comprehension skills. So again, fuck off with your LIES.
5. Still not seeing anything to do with "entitlement". Where is the "entitlement" I'm after? WHAT is the "entitlement" that I'm after? Posting a true statement does not an "entitlement" make.

Jeebus Christ.

Last edited:

MORON.

1. My rent isn't anything close to $1800 a month, and you cannot rent in Long Island for $500 - living is expensive there too.
2. I pay about $50 a week for food, if that... and I buy local and organic
3. Most Americans could not afford to purchase health insurance on their own. Most rely on their employer to help pay for it, myself included. As in I ALREADY HAVE & PAY FOR HEALTH INSURANCE. Dumbass
4. So now I'm not successful? You are a true idiot with absolutely no reading comprehension skills. So again, fuck off with your LIES.
5. Still not seeing anything to do with "entitlement". Where is the "entitlement" I'm after? WHAT is the "entitlement" that I'm after? Posting a true statement does not an "entitlement" make.

Jeebus Christ.

I accept your criticism....but I can do with or without your insults. I, personally, can not see the joy in anonymously typing insults.....but hey....feel free.

Bottom line is this. I was born with nothing more than you. I did the military thing and quit. It wasnt for me. I pushed hard to get my degree. Bagged groceries, pumped gas....not your typical college student.
I busted my butt doing whatever I had to do to acheive success.

And I am happy.

It is quite obvious you are not happy. You are angry, you feel betrayed, you want restitution.

My complaiunts in life?

"what the hell did I do wrong"

Your complaints in life?

"those people are doing the wrong thing by me"

Who do you think learns more?

What are you doing when you are learning?

Growing.

Take it from there Peepers.

Forum List

Back