Walmart's Philosophy of Screwing Workers

Yup.....in poverty.

Walmart average wages are around $8-$10 per hour with little benefits....no union

Costco average wages are around $17 per hour with fair to good benefits.....union friendly

And even with the higher wages Costco is VERY competitive with Walmart and is outperforming Walmart on Wall Street.

So go work at Costco...who is stopping you?

Never said I particularly wanted to work there, did I? But given a choice only a fool would choose to work at Walmart over Costco. Right?

Find a fool and we'll ask them

its not the details of an argument. just the point a poster is trying to make.

sorry, I disagree. If their points are not facts then the argument becomes null...

Ok, then...

When he says, "bigbox world", consider that he might mean not just Wal Mart, but also large retailers in general, such as the aforementioned Home Depot or Lowe's. After all, he was talking about using local merchants.

That's all it was, a general reference to "big box land" of which WalMart is the granddaddy of. Great that practically all towns and cities are starting to look the same. Boring!

I say "fuck bigbox world" anyway. So I'll spend the extra few bucks to support my local merchants, get better service and KNOW who I'm dealing with. I'm redoing a kitchen and found that a guy I've known for over 35 years can get me what I need at or a little more than big box world. And I know I can call him anytime instead of some "associate" who could give a rip.

Interesting that Walmart has the supplies to redo a kitchen. Where might that be? Thought that would be the job of Home Depot or Lowe's...

I was referring to big box world in general, of which WalMart is the grandfather of them all.

Knobby, if your guy can do that, great for both you and him! But when we were discussing Walmart it was easy to assume that is where you were referring to.

Interesting that Walmart has the supplies to redo a kitchen. Where might that be? Thought that would be the job of Home Depot or Lowe's...

I was referring to big box world in general, of which WalMart is the grandfather of them all.

Knobby, if your guy can do that, great for both you and him! But when we were discussing Walmart it was easy to assume that is where you were referring to.

Didn't mean to confuse. I just don't like big box as a personal preference. I'm not saying they're "wrong" and people who use them are "dupes," it's just a personal thing. I'm willing to run to the downtown hardware store for odds and ends, pay the extra few pennies as opposed to investing an hour running across town (burning gas) to big box land. So this is kind of a footnote to this whole discussion.

The stock market and the US economy is booming, but unfortunately now with middle class workers involved.

Surely the country needs government run, non-profit, retail establishments with price caps, highly paid entry level unionized civil servants, competition protections, and taxpayer subsidies to cover the overwhelming losses.............

For the common good.............lol

Then you oughta be happy that the middle class has been emasculated and jobs that don't pay shit are keeping people on government assistance. You liberals!
Yes, the economy is moving up; housing prices, employment, and the stock market are definitively improving. However, the economic surge is far from being shared by all Americans. Those with experience, education, and high skill levels are in great demand and can write their own ticket. However, the picture is much different for low skilled workers with minimal education. For example in some parts of the country 80% of the Walmart workers are on food stamps and getting a job is not easy. I don't see this getting any better. In fact it's going to get worse as automation and foreign completion take away more and more jobs from the working poor.

Last edited:
Every Walmart I have seen has over 20 check-out lanes but only 3 are ever open. They never staff them all even during the busiest shopping day of the year.

You do know when S.S. started it was supposed to be voluntary. . .
Social Security was never supposed to be voluntary. That is a myth.

. . . and the average age of death in America was around 65 years old right?
Life expectancy in the 1930s was around 60 for men, 62 for women. The intention was those who exceeded that expectancy would not fall into destitute poverty and die from malnutrition and exposure as so many seniors did during the Great Depression.

I dont want S.S. just like I dont want obama care.
First, how old are you? I ask because it's not unusual for youngsters to think that way because those who are less than 35 simply do not believe they ever will get old.

But aside from that, why don't you want Social Security? What don't you like about it? Do you think that when you reach eligibility age and you start getting a check every month it will make you sad?

The stock market and the US economy is booming, but unfortunately now with middle class workers involved.

Then you oughta be happy that the middle class has been emasculated and jobs that don't pay shit are keeping people on government assistance. You liberals!
Yes, the economy is moving up; housing prices, employment, and the stock market are definitively improving. However, the economic surge is far from being shared by all Americans. Those with experience, education, and high skill levels are in great demand and can write their own ticket. However, the picture is much different for low skilled workers with minimal education. For example in some parts of the country 80% of the Walmart workers are on food stamps and getting a job is not easy. I don't see this getting any better. In fact it's going to get worse as automation and foreign completion take away more and more jobs from the working poor.

That's true Flipper. The great thing about American during the "Great Compression" (post WW II where the gap between the haves and the have nots was not as wide) was that guys like my dad with a HS diploma and two years in the Navy could have a great blue collar job and raise a family. Gone are those days. What you're describing is the growing pains of the new global economy where billions of NEW shoppers are being lifted out of poverty world wide, creating markets that never existed before. It's taking its toll on the United States. They don't care if our middle class gets depleted - other countries are there to purchase and do business in now, so we're not as important. At least not now. Let's hope that changes as this thing evolves.

That's true Flipper. The great thing about American during the "Great Compression" (post WW II where the gap between the haves and the have nots was not as wide) was that guys like my dad with a HS diploma and two years in the Navy could have a great blue collar job and raise a family. Gone are those days. What you're describing is the growing pains of the new global economy where billions of NEW shoppers are being lifted out of poverty world wide, creating markets that never existed before. It's taking its toll on the United States. They don't care if our middle class gets depleted - other countries are there to purchase and do business in now, so we're not as important. At least not now. Let's hope that changes as this thing evolves.

It is deeper than that. Yes, what you describe is an issue....and maybe one that can be eliminated. But it will be all for naught for there is a problem we can not control'

Advances in technology.

What drives technology? The desire to "do it" quicker and cheaper without compromising quality.

Not long ago, a machine worker would spend his day loading stock into the lathe, calibrating the lathe, and popping out 25 twenty foot bars worth of copper stock...all hand turned.....applying his skill and pride in his workmanship.

Now?

One worker sets a computer for 3 CNC lathes; loads the bar; and pushes "start" and he spends his day wtaching the machine do the work....producing 75 bars worth of stock in a day...eliminating 2 jobs.

Now, spread that over the entire world and what do you have?

An ever increasing population, and a quickly decreasing need for blue collar labor.

It is deeper than that. Yes, what you describe is an issue....and maybe one that can be eliminated. But it will be all for naught for there is a problem we can not control'

Advances in technology.

What drives technology? The desire to "do it" quicker and cheaper without compromising quality.

Not long ago, a machine worker would spend his day loading stock into the lathe, calibrating the lathe, and popping out 25 twenty foot bars worth of copper stock...all hand turned.....applying his skill and pride in his workmanship.

Now?

One worker sets a computer for 3 CNC lathes; loads the bar; and pushes "start" and he spends his day wtaching the machine do the work....producing 75 bars worth of stock in a day...eliminating 2 jobs.

An ever increasing population, and a quickly decreasing need for blue collar labor.

I should add to my very accurate scenario....

3 SKILLED laborers are replaced by one UNSKILLED laborer.

So putting ideological sentiments aside.....

What is the value of a worker that simply needs to lift the raw stock and press a button?

Should he be paid the same as a machinist who needed to have a skill to know how to turn the lathe...know the pressure required to mold the stock; apply his years of experience to better the qulity of the finished product?

One has skill...the other is easily replaced.

Likewise....why should a receptionist of today who only answers overflow calls thanks to technology of compiuterzied phone systems with idnividual voicemails and direct lines get paid the same as a recptionist of 20 years ago who had to answer every incoming call and juggle multiple lines at once....and take messages for those that were not available?

Advances in technology.

Now?

Just like westward expansion, Grant told the Indians, you can't stop us now, you can only live among us. Global economy is here to stay because that's what the 1% are doing, and the money talks. The 1%ers are really like a country all to themselves - I'm talking about the global 1%ers, not just Americas.

What you describe flat top is 100% true. The smart young person will follow the job trends and get training in that direction, as I've advised my kids to do. What bothers me is the elimination of GOOD jobs for the normal Joe that used to prop up America. Interesting to see where it all leads.

Advances in technology.

Now?

Just like westward expansion, Grant told the Indians, you can't stop us now, you can only live among us. Global economy is here to stay because that's what the 1% are doing, and the money talks. The 1%ers are really like a country all to themselves - I'm talking about the global 1%ers, not just Americas.

What you describe flat top is 100% true. The smart young person will follow the job trends and get training in that direction, as I've advised my kids to do. What bothers me is the elimination of GOOD jobs for the normal Joe that used to prop up America. Interesting to see where it all leads.

I do not look at the global 1% and the global 99%....or the domestic 1% for that matter.

I see it as us, the consumer, who dictates what the 1% does.

Walmart knows people want cheaper....so they devised a business model that allowed them to offer it. Will workers work without a union and benefits or would Walmart fail becuase they could not get any employees? Obviously, the workers were fine with it...and the business model worked.

But it was our desire as consumers that drove Walmart to come up with the idea. So I dont blame Walmart....and whereas I do not shop there (I bleieve in supporting the local merchant and lucky for me, I can afford to pay more for products), I am sure there are many people out there that thank Walmart for creating an environment that allows them to stretch their dollar further.

Advances in technology.

Now?

I do not look at the global 1% and the global 99%....or the domestic 1% for that matter.

Walmart knows people want cheaper....so they devised a business model that allowed them to offer it. Will workers work without a union and benefits or would Walmart fail becuase they could not get any employees? Obviously, the workers were fine with it...and the business model worked.

But it was our desire as consumers that drove Walmart to come up with the idea. So I dont blame Walmart....and whereas I do not shop there (I bleieve in supporting the local merchant and lucky for me, I can afford to pay more for products), I am sure there are many people out there that thank Walmart for creating an environment that allows them to stretch their dollar further.

I'm on board with that soldier. I can't stand to go in those places and wonder if I'm going to be flattened by some lardass bim on a scooter racing to get a box of rags before they go off-sale.

I mention the 1% because they really dictate WHO the 99% are and the standard of living here and abroad. There's a billion NEW consumers world wide because of the new world economy, driven by the 1%. Our role in that has diminished, as you and I both point out.

images

I'm on board with that soldier. I can't stand to go in those places and wonder if I'm going to be flattened by some lardass bim on a scooter racing to get a box of rags before they go off-sale.

I mention the 1% because they really dictate WHO the 99% are and the standard of living here and abroad. There's a billion NEW consumers world wide because of the new world economy, driven by the 1%. Our role in that has diminished, as you and I both point out.

images

Our difference?

I bleieve the 99% dictates whatthe 1% does.

In my hometown, about 20 years ago, a Woolworths opened up.
There were no demonstrations trying to preventtheir presence in an otherwise "local merchant" environment. Sure, people talked about it as a bad thing.....but there were no hearings, no opinion pieces in our newspapaers.
Anyway, those of us that preferred they were not here, opted to not shop there.

About 90% of us.

They closed down within 6 months.

However....CVS?

Many like them here...

And now we have 3.

That is the 99% dictating what the 1% is to do.

images

Our difference?

There were no demonstrations trying to preventtheir presence in an otherwise "local merchant" environment. Sure, people talked about it as a bad thing.....but there were no hearings, no opinion pieces in our newspapaers.

About 90% of us.

However....CVS?

Many like them here...

And now we have 3.

OK, got it. And I agree. BUT, will the 99% organize? They already tried that with the Occupy Movement and you seen what happened to them! Right wingers branded them everything but baby killers, and I am not so sure about that. Politicians started their smear campaign early and effectively because, after all, it was a threat to their benefactors who put them in office.

It has to be a national movement with almost everyone on board. I'm not hopeful. America has gotten lazy, content and ignorant, by and large.

And no, Costco does NOT have higher prices. I know from having been in both stores. Try and find a West Bend full size electric skillet at Walmart for $15 like I bought at Costco.

And then you also have you and I paying to subsidize the Walmart workforce.....

Beats me what the hell Walmart is doing wrong if they're failing while we help pay their workers for them through tax dollars.

since Target wages are comparable to Walmart, why not diss on them? Always seems to be the company that keeps the unions away that are dissed on. Coincidence? We all know the answer to that...

Target is also actively anti-union, they're just doing a better job of running their stores in general.

And there you go! I don't shop Walmart, I shop Target.
It's not the politics of Walmart that keeps me from Walmart as Target has made some political decisions that don't agree with my political views too. In my view it's their company they can do what they do, it's a free country. It's the way Target runs their business versus Walmart's model.
Target's stores have wider aisles, they don't have display's taking up space and blocking customer traffic flow patterns, if I need help finding something I get help quickly, the quality of the products they sell is consistent and I don't get frustrated standing in line waiting to check out. I just hate the fact that Walmart has decided to push their low quality "Great Value" crap by under-stocking name brand merchandise versus over-stocking their "Great Value" brand.
Regarding wages; etc, I'm for raising the minimum wage. About everybody on the right is against raising the minimum wage because what it might do to prices. About everybody doesn't want deficit spending. Most folks realize that entitlements are eating a hole in America's pocketbooks. Yet supporting low wages hurts people as taxpayers, as these low wages result are more entitlements which is more government spending which is larger deficits. In other words, the hated 47% grows thusly entitlements grow and taxpayers are paying the bill. So what do you want, paying for low wages on April 15th or paying for better wages at the cash register?

images

Our difference?

About 90% of us.

However....CVS?

Many like them here...

And now we have 3.

OK, got it. And I agree. BUT, will the 99% organize? They already tried that with the Occupy Movement and you seen what happened to them! Right wingers branded them everything but baby killers, and I am not so sure about that. Politicians started their smear campaign early and effectively because, after all, it was a threat to their benefactors who put them in office.

It has to be a national movement with almost everyone on board. I'm not hopeful. America has gotten lazy, content and ignorant, by and large.

The 99% does not need to organize.

Domestically, the 99% have no reason to organize. This is America. We may be created equally, and offered equal opportunity, but what I strive for may not be what you strive for. No offense, but i dont want "your desires" to get in the way of me ahceiving "my desires".

I am quite happy with the way things are for me....I made smart choices along the way. Many laughed at my conservative investing. Many laughed at me when I refused to take an ARM when I could have been locked in for the first 5 years at 1.5%. Many laughed at me when I did not ride the dot com craze.

Many questioned why I did not refinance to "re-do" my house.

Sorry...I dont see the need for us to "rise".

People need to learn to realize that they can only get hurt by anothers actions if they hope to capitalize n that poersons actions.

Hey...you may disagree...I understand your position...and respect it....

But my position? Has worked quite well for me and my family.

And please...those that want to spin my sentiments as

"I will get my way even if it fucks the other guy"....

That is not what I am saying.

What I am saying is that I do not depend on the other guy to get what I want.....and I prefer the other guy not depending on me to get him what he wants.

Last edited:
Our difference?

About 90% of us.

However....CVS?

Many like them here...

And now we have 3.

Domestically, the 99% have no reason to organize. This is America. We may be created equally, and offered equal opportunity, but what I strive for may not be what you strive for. No offense, but i dont want "your desires" to get in the way of me ahceiving "my desires".

I am quite happy with the way things are for me....I made smart choices along the way. Many laughed at my conservative investing. Many laughed at me when I refused to take an ARM when I could have been locked in for the first 5 years at 1.5%. Many laughed at me when I did not ride the dot com craze.

People need to learn to realize that they can only get hurt by anothers actions if they hope to capitalize n that poersons actions.

What I am saying is that I do not depend on the other guy to get what I want.....and I prefer the other guy not depending on me to get him what he wants.

excellent post! :clap2:

Our difference?

About 90% of us.

However....CVS?

Many like them here...

And now we have 3.

In the end, flat top, I think that's pretty much what we all want. My story sounds similar to yours. All most people want is a fair shot.

In the end, flat top, I think that's pretty much what we all want. My story sounds similar to yours. All most people want is a fair shot.

No. I think otherwise.

Most people want to "hit it big"...

And when it backfires, they want to blame others.

They talk about Walmart as being evil...but shop there for the lower prices.
They talk loud and blame others when their investments lose money.....but dont say a word when it makes them money
They dance to the store with cash in their pocket when they take an ARM refi....but then complain about how they were screwed when the rate jumps up.
They want higher taxes for those richer than they are...regardless of HOW rich they, themselves are...."I am top 10%....levy it on the top 5%". Now I am top 5%...levy it on the top 2%. I am top 60%...levy it on the top 50%

The best way for people to get a fair shot?

Do not depend on others.

]You can not be hurt by the system if you do not try to capitalize on the system.

And it has worked for me.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back