Walmart

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I've noticed this company has been brought up more than once and I just stumbled upon this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/06/business/yourmoney/06cont.html

2. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Well,I for one love Wal Mart. It doesn't really,matter ro me what the stock is doing ,or if they have a union. All I know is,I can go in there and afford to shop. I think probably most Americans feel this way. Target isn't a bad store,but a little more expensive than Wal Mart,and I don't like some of their decisions about different charity issues and such in the past. Wal Mart has everything!!!

That is interesting too about Winn Dixie going bad-their stores are horrible. There was a chain of stores here in Cincy for years called Thriftway owned by Carl Linder. When he sold to Winn DIxie,they brought in horrible brands and the stores looked awful. I don't know anyone that shopped there after they sold. The difference was big. Needless to say,all the Thriftways around here have been sold to Bigg's and Kroger.

3. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Every time you walk through the door at Wal Mart, you might as well make your check out to the Red Chinese government and save going through the middle man. If Wal Mart were a country, they would be China's fifth largest trading partner.

Wal Mart is a predator, plain and simple. When a Canadian store (in Quebec, if memory serves) was about to be successfully unionized, Wal Mart closed the store, thereby proving that not only do they have no care for their employees, they have no care for their customers either.

A few neighborhoods are starting to wake up to the fact that Wal Mart destroys the diversity of their retail community. Henry Ford had a near monopoly on cars during the early 1900's. His arrogant philosophy was that you could have the car "in any color, so long as it was black". Well, Wal Mart has the same philosophy. You can have merchandise in any quality as long as it's mediocre.

Wal Mart also has adverse impact on its suppliers. Recently the manufacturer of a major brand of blue jeans got into trouble because of their dealings with Wal Mart. Here's an excerpt from an article on Wal Mart's business practices:
    ===================================================
    Vlasic pickles encountered a similar problem. After years of touting their pickles as a premium product, they partnered with Wal Mart only to find their product on sale by the GALLON at prices regular grocery outlets charged for a quart. Now that's good for the consumer in the short run, but it nearly destroyed Vlasic. Likewise, Dakin - a manufacturer of premium quality stuffed animals - nearly went bankrupt after doing business with Wal Mart. It seems that the smaller stores which sold Dakins higher priced premium quality line could no longer sell that line after Dakin made a cheap rip-off for sale by Wal Mart.

A description of Wal Mart's impact on our society is here:

Not only does Wal Mart abuse its own employees, but being the retail bull in the china shop, they have a cascading influence on the employees of other retailers who must scramble to match Wal Mart's prices.

Some people shop at Wal Mart to take advantage of the prices. Some people shop there because they have no reasonable choice - Wal Mart has moved in and destroyed all their other options.

So don't think that Wal Mart Inc is your friend. It is definitely not.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Merlin, it seems to me that Levi's, Vlasic, etc., made deals they thought would bring them higher profit. They should have done their homework.

Sear's definately carried on the same types of practices as Walmart through the 50's-early 80's, then they got too diversified and have been playing catch up ever since.

Individuals shop for their own reasons, budget, quality, even political beliefs. I've never thought of a store as my 'friend' or 'enemy', rather a place I buy or don't based on my own considerations. I say that it's best to let the marketplace work.

5. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Walmart has done the same thing with Lee jeans.. Remade them, put the same logo on them, and now they're crap. They're made with cheaper materials, the sewing jobs are atrocious, and are no longer true to size. IOW, they're shit.

Walmart's ok for food (the super Walmarts), and things like holiday decorations.. For decent clothing, get your money's worth, and stick to stores like Kohl's, Boston Store, etc.

On the other hand, Walmart is doing what other stores can't/won't, which is offering better prices on the same items others are selling for more...

6. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Well, I don't really know what to say after Merlins post!!! To be honest,I don't really know a lot about the backgrounds of the stores where I shop. I have two kids, a husband and a job, and that keeps me pretty busy. I agree Wal Mart doesn't always sell the highest quality clothing,but if you have a hundred bucks to go get the kids a few things,and that's all you have right now-then I have to go where I can afford to go.

I guess some of the things they do aren't great,but it doesn't bother me that they are not union . Those union people used to be outside of our Bigg's all the time trying to protest because Bigg's won't go union,blocking the driveway and being a pain in my ass. All I want is to get supper!!! The health insurance could be better,but the pay-come on? What does a person expect to make as a cashier? Retail is not know for it's high paying jobs. I hear people at Kroger complaining about the union and the fees or dues or whatever it is coming out of their checks-teenagers!! I figure if you want a high paying job,you have to be willing to do hard work. Go to college,learn a trade and work your way up--like everyone else does.

7. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
  8. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Okay, I'll readily admit that you have to use some discretion in what you believe on the net. Each organization has its own agenda and everybody spins to one degree or another.

But did you really refer me to a Wal Mart site in an attempt to refute the claims made by other groups? Dont'cha think that the info there is just a teeny bit suspect?

9. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Krisy, my post wasn't meant as a criticism of your shopping habits. We all do what we have to in order to make ends meet, and that's just fine.

I was simply trying to point out that everything comes at a price - and that includes the low prices at Wal Mart.

10. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes in spite of the economic juggernaut that Walmart has become it continues to draw shoppers who like the low prices and selection. But looking to the future it will be China who controls the shot.