Walmart is eating Amazon's lunch on the last mile delivery front.

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
Amazon has definitely been a phenom that has changed the way the American shopper shops. A little bit late to the game Is the retail giant Walmart who at first seemed to be threatened by Amazon's enormous onslaught into the world of front porch delivery.

Not being one to just sit down and take the punishment Walmart fought back by leveraging their most powerful asset... The absolutely massive amount of real estate that they own all over the country already set up in warehouse fashion.

Walmart now has an admirable delivery business that is way out in front of everyone else as far as location is concerned because they were already there.

Making this nimble turn around is something impressive for a giant of Walmart's size. They are far more efficient and reliable in the last mile delivery then Amazon is because Amazon is way behind in the locations construction.

In fact Walmart's entry into this market has been so impressive as to actually cause Amazon to shut down some of its hubs and stop building some of the ones that were under construction.

I bought something from Walmart and couldn't believe the speed in which it got here... I had to return the item and that was easier than Amazon which requires you to take it someplace... with Walmart all I had to do was put it on my porch and UPS picked it up...

I bought something from Walmart and couldn't believe the speed in which it got here... I had to return the item and that was easier than Amazon which requires you to take it someplace... with Walmart all I had to do was put it on my porch and UPS picked it up...
Yeah somebody in the company realized that they already had a massive leg up with their 2500 or so massive locations across the country. Nobody can match Walmart when it comes to retail real estate not even Amazon. Walmart is my new go-to for ordering things because they often come in less than 24 hours which is pretty impressive.

If a local store has what I want and it's priced in a competitive manner I would still rather run over and get it as opposed to ordering it and getting a day or two or three later.

Amazon lost some of it's advantage when it was decided they would have to collect sales tax also.

Amazon has definitely been a phenom that has changed the way the American shopper shops. A little bit late to the game Is the retail giant Walmart who at first seemed to be threatened by Amazon's enormous onslaught into the world of front porch delivery.

Not being one to just sit down and take the punishment Walmart fought back by leveraging their most powerful asset... The absolutely massive amount of real estate that they own all over the country already set up in warehouse fashion.

Walmart now has an admirable delivery business that is way out in front of everyone else as far as location is concerned because they were already there.

Making this nimble turn around is something impressive for a giant of Walmart's size. They are far more efficient and reliable in the last mile delivery then Amazon is because Amazon is way behind in the locations construction.

In fact Walmart's entry into this market has been so impressive as to actually cause Amazon to shut down some of its hubs and stop building some of the ones that were under construction.
the PO has been doing that for Fed X and UPS and Amazon for quite a while now.........

If a local store has what I want and it's priced in a competitive manner I would still rather run over and get it as opposed to ordering it and getting a day or two or three later.

Amazon lost some of it's advantage when it was decided they would have to collect sales tax also.

walmart will get a crazy number of things to you with in a couple of hours

I think Amazon must have a routing glitch they still need to work out. I will see their vans in our hood, sometimes more than one at a time, a few times a day and we are about 90 miles from the closest warehouse. Logically they need a better system that gets all our hood deliveries in the same van.

I think Amazon must have a routing glitch they still need to work out. I will see their vans in our hood, sometimes more than one at a time, a few times a day and we are about 90 miles from the closest warehouse. Logically they need a better system that gets all our hood deliveries in the same van.
things come in at different times......

things come in at different times......
** That's the part I hate, hate, hate.

Also, many items I order originate back east and take too long to get out here to the Pacific Northwest often due to severe weather. But I do order those things I do not need in a hurry within two weeks, from Walmart. I would much rather give them my business than Amazon, that is for sure.

Last edited:

If you're lucky enough to have an Amazon distribution center in your town you usually get your package the next day.

Walmart has been impressive.

This is 180 mile round trip. When you have delivery trucks in the same neighborhood at the same time, I don't think that is the issue.
yea it is.....if one truck has already left and something comes in that needs delivering, if a driver on a route next to the driver that left is still there he will get to deliver it....

If you're lucky enough to have an Amazon distribution center in your town you usually get your package the next day.
There's a distribution center less then 10 miles from my house & I have never gotten an item the same day.

Forum List

Back