On the Battle front of the Trade War...from the Trenches at Walmart...

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
I don't go to Walmart very often even though there is a super center about two miles from my house; but I thought I would go to see for myself the horror of rising prices due to the so called trade war ( there really is no such ting as a trade war btw) and this is what I found. NOTHING.

Walmart continues to undersell everyone in the area despite the fact that 80 percent of what you find on their shelves is affiliated in some form with Chinese trade. Bought a Mr. Coffee maker there that was two dollars cheaper than the one I bought there last year. Yeah....they last about a year of heavy use....but then again so do the 100 and 200 dollar models. Walked through the Black and Decker stuff....the Stanley Stuff....The Oster Stuff.....All made in China btw..... All of it is down in price. This is called real world information. The Mr. Coffee ....Coffee maker I picked up for $17.99 was the very same one I paid $21.99 for a little over a year ago. The Oster electric skillet I bought for $49.99 about six months ago was on sale for $39.99...so I bought another one to keep in the attic to replace the one I'm using now when it stops working.

Yeah....UM.....I didn't see any evidence of Tariffs on these things...

Chicken prices ( now almost wholly controlled by China ) Down ... Pork prices ( now almost wholly controlled by China ) Down.

Maybe I'm just not buying the affected goods? OR...maybe the bullshit about Americans paying for the Tariffs is just that...Bullshit.

Sure Walmart has threatened to raise prices....but I think they know better. After all they have Amazon Breathing down their necks....lol.

The prices that were up? All of your local goods like fruits and vegetables...way up. Not sure why. I know they don't come from China....Maybe the farmers are paying more for their Chinese products like machinery and so on? Not sure.....but I doubt it. Oh and Harbor Freight is having another HUGE SIDEWALK sale this week! I love tool sales!

Yawwwwwwwn...

"No evidence of Tariffs in the pricing so far".... JO

" They Sky is falling! " ..... Henny Penny

OH and BTW....Walmart is doing so poorly with the Tariffs that the Walton familiy's worth is going up right now by 4 Million bucks an hour. Trade war? Yeah...um.... not so much.

JO

Last edited:
Probably more related to the weather but wow beef prices have gone through the roof in the last few months at my grocery store. Even hamburger was outrageous.

Probably more related to the weather but wow beef prices have gone through the roof in the last few months at my grocery store. Even hamburger was outrageous.

No actually it's the affiliation of American beef growers. And this one has absolutely nothing to do with China.

Beef has effectively become the new lobster and that's bad for the beef industry.

Jo

I don't go to Walmart very often even though there is a super center about two miles from my house; but I thought I would go to see for myself the horror of rising prices due to the so called trade war ( there really is no such ting as a trade war btw) and this is what I found. NOTHING.

Walmart continues to undersell everyone in the area despite the fact that 80 percent of what you find on their shelves is affiliated in some form with Chinese trade. Bought a Mr. Coffee maker there that was two dollars cheaper than the one I bought there last year. Yeah....they last about a year of heavy use....but then again so do the 100 and 200 dollar models. Walked through the Black and Decker stuff....the Stanley Stuff....The Oster Stuff.....All made in China btw..... All of it is down in price. This is called real world information. The Mr. Coffee ....Coffee maker I picked up for $17.99 was the very same one I paid $21.99 for a little over a year ago. The Oster electric skillet I bought for $49.99 about six months ago was on sale for $39.99...so I bought another one to keep in the attic to replace the one I'm using now when it stops working.

Chicken prices ( now almost wholly controlled by China ) Down ... Pork prices ( now almost wholly controlled by China ) Down.

Maybe I'm just not buying the affected goods? OR...maybe the bullshit about Americans paying for the Tariffs is just that...Bullshit.

Sure Walmart has threatened to raise prices....but I think they know better. After all they have Amazon Breathing down their necks....lol.

The prices that were up? All of your local goods like fruits and vegetables...way up. Not sure why. I know they don't come from China....Maybe the farmers are paying more for their Chinese products like machinery and so on? Not sure.....but I doubt it. Oh and Harbor Freight is having another HUGE SIDEWALK sale this week! I love tool sales!

Yawwwwwwwn...

OH and BTW....Walmart is doing so poorly with the Tariffs that the Walton familiy's worth is going up right now by 4 Million bucks an hour. Trade war? Yeah...um.... not so much.

JO
Explain how China almost wholly controls chicken and pork prices.

Yawwwwwwwn...

JO
Explain how China almost wholly controls chicken and pork prices.

Oh Sorry...just saw this..

Well the story of Pork is simple....China now owns smithfield farms....since they have owned it pork prices in the US has plummeted especially for the premium goods.

Chicken is a little more complex. Ali-Baba moves the most Chicken around the globe and takes from everywhere to sell to everywhere. They are a middle vendor...middle vendors are the guys who pay the tariffs.....so far Chicken and Chicken parts prices have been pretty stable at ab out 1.05/lib for whole and as low as 89 cents for the chopped parts over the past several years. One thing that has taken an up turn is chicken leg quarters but that may be do to local price fixing by the top five American Chicken producers.
Why Chicken Producers Are Under Investigation for Price Fixing

Forum List

Back