Wages still $2.13 for restaurant workers

....... oh wait, most people I know average over 15.00 per hour

15 dollars an hour. 40x15x52=$31,200 yrly.

IS 31k a year what you consider "success". Like in "you've got it made now"

You need more income. Especially if you want to take care of a family.

Now maybe two people at 15 could work.

31k a year is better than 12k-15k from UN-employment and sitting around crying about no job, the are 14 million UN-employeed that would love to make 31k a year.

No one ever said you would get rich waiting tables

My point was that frank was implying that if the resteraunt was forced to pay more then tip wage they would go out of business. I proved this is not true with real life examples.
But you didn't. You chose to highlight a national restaurant chain that can absorb the losses in a few locations. Try that with a local chain that does not have the financial ability to lose some money and I can guarantee you that they'd go broke inside of no time. The margins for profit in restaurants are to razor thin to support even minimum wage for servers.

Applebees is a franchise. They are a local chain. Except they have to pay royalties. They cannot accept a loss at a local store. Nor would any company choose to operate in such a manner.
Some are franchises. Geez, your not doing to well. My wife manages 7 subways....the ones she manages are privately own. However, in this area, the corporation own literally hundreds of others....The same is true of Appleby's

A franchise that would pay more than the normal minimum wage for wait staff will NOT remain in business very long. Your assertions aside.

We need FDR Wage laws so that the restaurant business collapses and can only survive with government handouts. $30/hour minimum wage!

Since Applebees was already brought into this conversation by another, and I have quite a bit of knowledge about how it operates I will use this as an example.

In California there is no tip minimum wage, the business must pay you the federal minimum wage of 7.50/hour. Does Applebees struggle in California, or do they have higher prices.

The answer to both questions, is no. Care to explain?

There answer to both questions is actually it depends.

On a wait means that the place is so full, every table is full and lets check this out, shall we?

Lets say that each table has a 45 minute turn around. That averages out to 10.5 table per 8 hour shift. Using your numbers of three per server, you have 32 tables per shift. Lets low ball this, shall we?

Assume each table turnover is one person per table and has a standard dinner fair with 1 glass of wine which comes to about 18 dollars...That is 3 dollars 60 cents per tip. Multiply that by 32 tables and you have 115 dollars and 20 cents. Divide that by 8 hours and you have 14 dollars and 40 cents per hour.

Remember, this is low-balling it. the Olive garden will probably average about 3 people per table, so you can take that 115 dollars and multiply it by 3 to get 345 dollars a night. Just in tips...Oh, but lets add that 2.13 per hour for 8 hours and we get and additional 17.04 for a grand total of 362.04 for that night were we had a 5 hour wait.

Now, lets see those same 8 hours in action at minimum wage. 7.5 per hour for 8 hours comes to a healthy 60 dollars day! Wow! Go minimum wage!

Pretty simple napkin math, and should not be beyond even you.

Your not lowballing at all. You took a few assumptions.
1) everyone drinks, completely false. At Olive Garden, a decent resteraunt, the average person spends $12, not $18. Kids are cheaper, they bring the average down.
2) you are still assuming they are on a wait for 8 hours. They aren't. 5 nights a week they never get on a wait. The 2 nights they do, it lasts for less then an hour. Your math doesn't matter, in a 5 hour shift they pick up 10 tables. This is real life. Their average sales in a night are almost always <$500.
3) You are assuming that everyone tips 20%.. Not even close. If a server gets 15% total they are doing really really well. 20% is max in almost every circumstance. Everyone gets stiffed from time to time. Even the best ever. There are just cheapskates out there.
So lets assume $500 in sales at 15%. That is $75 in tips. Now they have to share 3% of sales which comes out to 15. 75-15=60.
So if they are a really good server, and its a good night, in 5 hours they make $60.
Slow days? I've seen people work for 2 hours and not even get a table. Then get sent home.
You accuse Me of making assumptions and then go out to make more than I do, and I low-balled it.

So, lets begin again...I'm talking per day, not per week. The weekend will always make up for the slack during the week, but every Olive Garden I've driven past has a nearly full parking lot, right up to 11pm, every day of the week. So, business is good for Olive Garden.

You assume 10 tables, but in reality, It is more.

Everyone who works hard to please their customers will average out a 20% tip. Of course, if your a ass, you'll not tip regardless.....The entire conversation is based upon averages...

We are also talking about gross salary here, not what is taken out in taxes and kickbacks to the employer for their shift.

The bottom line is that servers make very good money and there is no reason to raise the minimum wage, unless of course you are looking to put the food industry out of business.

Or see the cost of the average meal quadruple at least.

Immie

The very bottom line is that this is a manufactured outrage.

There is no justification or reason to change the minimum wage for servers. They are doing just fine under the current system. Better than most in many instances.

1) everyone drinks, completely false. At Olive Garden, a decent resteraunt, the average person spends $12, not $18. Kids are cheaper, they bring the average down.
2) you are still assuming they are on a wait for 8 hours. They aren't. 5 nights a week they never get on a wait. The 2 nights they do, it lasts for less then an hour. Your math doesn't matter, in a 5 hour shift they pick up 10 tables. This is real life. Their average sales in a night are almost always <$500.
3) You are assuming that everyone tips 20%.. Not even close. If a server gets 15% total they are doing really really well. 20% is max in almost every circumstance. Everyone gets stiffed from time to time. Even the best ever. There are just cheapskates out there.
So lets assume $500 in sales at 15%. That is $75 in tips. Now they have to share 3% of sales which comes out to 15. 75-15=60.
So if they are a really good server, and its a good night, in 5 hours they make $60.
Slow days? I've seen people work for 2 hours and not even get a table. Then get sent home.
You accuse Me of making assumptions and then go out to make more than I do, and I low-balled it.

So, lets begin again...I'm talking per day, not per week. The weekend will always make up for the slack during the week, but every Olive Garden I've driven past has a nearly full parking lot, right up to 11pm, every day of the week. So, business is good for Olive Garden.

Everyone who works hard to please their customers will average out a 20% tip. Of course, if your a ass, you'll not tip regardless.....The entire conversation is based upon averages...

We are also talking about gross salary here, not what is taken out in taxes and kickbacks to the employer for their shift.

The bottom line is that servers make very good money and there is no reason to raise the minimum wage, unless of course you are looking to put the food industry out of business.

Immie
Well, yeah. They could go that way, but only so much.. Some of the research I've seen suggest that there is an upper limit to how much price increases will go before people look for other places to eat.

So much for those tips then. Talk about government screwing the little guy.

The very bottom line is that this is a manufactured outrage.

There is no justification or reason to change the minimum wage for servers. They are doing just fine under the current system. Better than most in many instances.

Definitely better than the unemployed.

Immie

Immie
Well, yeah. They could go that way, but only so much.. Some of the research I've seen suggest that there is an upper limit to how much price increases will go before people look for other places to eat.

So much for those tips then. Talk about government screwing the little guy.

However, if the minimum wage goes up for one restaurant, it goes up for all and the price of all meals would quadruple. What would happen is that people would quit eating out and wait staff would lose their jobs followed by restaurants going out of business.

Not a winning combo for wait staff if you ask me.

Immie

On a wait means that the place is so full, every table is full and lets check this out, shall we?

Lets say that each table has a 45 minute turn around. That averages out to 10.5 table per 8 hour shift. Using your numbers of three per server, you have 32 tables per shift. Lets low ball this, shall we?

Assume each table turnover is one person per table and has a standard dinner fair with 1 glass of wine which comes to about 18 dollars...That is 3 dollars 60 cents per tip. Multiply that by 32 tables and you have 115 dollars and 20 cents. Divide that by 8 hours and you have 14 dollars and 40 cents per hour.

Remember, this is low-balling it. the Olive garden will probably average about 3 people per table, so you can take that 115 dollars and multiply it by 3 to get 345 dollars a night. Just in tips...Oh, but lets add that 2.13 per hour for 8 hours and we get and additional 17.04 for a grand total of 362.04 for that night were we had a 5 hour wait.

Now, lets see those same 8 hours in action at minimum wage. 7.5 per hour for 8 hours comes to a healthy 60 dollars day! Wow! Go minimum wage!

Pretty simple napkin math, and should not be beyond even you.

10 tables is really what they get, because they work 5-6 hour shifts. Of which they are only busy for 2 hours of. After dinner rush from 6-8p they immediately begin cutting people. But they cannot cut too much incase they get another rush, or a big party. So they have to have room where they can pick up more tables if neccesary, meaning no one has all their tables full.

No one averages 20% tips. Thats the max that almost everyone leaves. Max, not average. About half the people leave anywhere from 10-15%. Maybe 5% of people leave more then 20%. At the same time about 5% of people leave no tip at all. 15% is actually very good for a server to average.

We need FDR Wage laws so that the restaurant business collapses and can only survive with government handouts. $30/hour minimum wage!

Since Applebees was already brought into this conversation by another, and I have quite a bit of knowledge about how it operates I will use this as an example.

In California there is no tip minimum wage, the business must pay you the federal minimum wage of 7.50/hour. Does Applebees struggle in California, or do they have higher prices.

There is no depends in this example. Because it is real life. They charge the same everywhere. The answer is most definetly. NO.

Your Mel Gibson avatar notwithstanding, you're a bagger aka follower.

FACT - as long as money is the deciding factor in who runs and who wins, there will never be a serious third party threat to the status quo.

Its followers like you that guarantee that because, as much as you screech about it, you WILL follow the rules already set out for you. You WILL vote for Mittens.

dont even mention a third party Dudley....you would not vote third party and you know it.....because ....as much as you screech about it,you WILL follow the rules already set out for you. You WILL vote for Obama....

There is no depends in this example. Because it is real life. They charge the same everywhere. The answer is most definetly. NO.

No they don't, their website specifically says that prices may vary in different markets. If you are too stupid to acknowledge that they charge more based on the cost of doing business we can't possibly discuss the issue at all. Additionally, some Applebee's don't succeed because there is not enough business for them because they misjudged the market. So, the only correct answer to your two questions is it depends.

My youngest daughter is a waitress at Applebee's and she makes some impressive money for her age.

What's the point again?

Wow. What's her health care plan like. How's her dental?

She has perfect teeth. I should know, I paid for them. And she has a catastrophic health policy that costs very little.

Now that we got that out of the way.............GO FUCK YOURSELF TROLL

10 tables is really what they get, because they work 5-6 hour shifts. Of which they are only busy for 2 hours of. After dinner rush from 6-8p they immediately begin cutting people. But they cannot cut too much incase they get another rush, or a big party. So they have to have room where they can pick up more tables if neccesary, meaning no one has all their tables full.

No one averages 20% tips. Thats the max that almost everyone leaves. Max, not average. About half the people leave anywhere from 10-15%. Maybe 5% of people leave more then 20%. At the same time about 5% of people leave no tip at all. 15% is actually very good for a server to average.
Your statements may be right for your limited experience, but most wait people I know work the full Monty of 8 hours and they complain constantly about having to wait on 25 30 tables daily. They also complain about the occational diner who doesn't tip, yet they go to school on their own dime, drive fairly new cars, have their own places and get this, some even raise families.

Even at 15%, they're doing better without the increase in the minimum wage because they have a job. An increase would put them out of a job which is 0%.

This isn't even a crisis, but the OP's manufactured outrage. A poorly chosen one at that.

Use wisely your power of choice. If you are 20, and you are working as a waiter while going to college, good choice. If you are 40 and are a waiter making $2 and change an hour plus tips, you have made some poor choices in your life and don't ask this taxpayer to help your stupid ass out.

I agree with you..but there are many people that really do enjoy that type of work.

No they don't, their website specifically says that prices may vary in different markets. If you are too stupid to acknowledge that they charge more based on the cost of doing business we can't possibly discuss the issue at all. Additionally, some Applebee's don't succeed because there is not enough business for them because they misjudged the market. So, the only correct answer to your two questions is it depends.
I've already established he can't do math. I didn't see the part where he didn't acknowledge that prices vary by region. Figures.

we had one close last month......not much business.....hey you asked.....

Forum List

Back