Wages still $2.13 for restaurant workers

You're in favor of government meddling when it comes to marriage and abortion but not when we're talking about fair pay. Typical rw.

Proof please that EVERY waitperson makes $14 per hour in tips. Or is it only Republicans who ALL made $14 an hour in tips. Betcha, one of you lame ass rw's will say you made twice that, every single day. Liars.

Why is it that we can always count on the rw's to pile on any issue of equality?

And, the best many can do is attack the messenger? That FACT says it all.

You're a great example for keeping abortion legal.

Translation - I'm right and you can't deny it.

What ever helps you sleep at night, dude.

I tip 20% unless the waiter/waitress is really dour and brings Me down. I don't withhold tips for poor kitchen service (say the meal takes to long to come out) but will withhold a tip of the waitperson brings Me cold food. Check it first, and get it heated before bringing it to ME. If I have to wait, then tell Me it is going to be a few minutes extra, but cold food (unless I ordered something cold) is a huge faux pas.

Indeed. I really like the 'swarm' mentality of those eateries whose staff are constantly making sure all is well with your experience/visit.

It means they're serious of thier craft.
icon14.gif

My 24 year old daughter who lives in NYC, has a boyfriend who has a degree in Computer Science. He started working as a waiter while he was applying around the city for a job with an I.T. department. now he's still a waiter because he makes more money waiting tables in NYC than he would working at the profession he was educated in.

Minimum Wage For Restaurant Servers Remains Stagnant For 20 Years Under Industry Lobbying

And, the right fought to keep it that way.

The restaurant industry, led by the National Restaurant Association -- and its board chairman Herman Cain, who would later become the group's president -- successfully pressured lawmakers to have the minimum wage for tipped employees separated from the increase and kept at $2.13.
Really, there's no excuse for this. And no excuse for it to be a political issue. But it is.

Lying again? The $2.13 minimum wage only applies to servers who get tips, not everyone in the restaurant.

My 24 year old daughter who lives in NYC, has a boyfriend who has a degree in Computer Science. He started working as a waiter while he was applying around the city for a job with an I.T. department. now he's still a waiter because he makes more money waiting tables in NYC than he would working at the profession he was educated in.

Probably doesn't happen at the local greasy spoon, but a waiter in a good restaurant that does a good volume can make substantial money, a few lucky ones with really upscale clientele can pull down as much as six figures. To a good waiter the base wage required by law is essentially meaningless. Probably most don't even know what it is.

Take a restaurant here in Albuquerque that after you figure in the appetizers, main course, dessert, and a good wine, the average bill per diner will be up to $60. If it is a party of 10 you look at a total bill of $600. The waiter will get a minimum of 20% of that or $120. Even if he gives his busser $20, he is left with $100 profit for about 30 minutes total work including greeting the diners, taking orders, delivering the orders, and checking back to see if anybody needs anything. (He is no doubt working up to five other tables as well.)

Where did Nerdite go? Offing another troll thread?

Life. You and the other lazy rw's are here from dawn to well after dark. If someone leaves, it means they left. Quit acting like this is a junior high playground.

Why don't you stay on topic?

Fact is, rw's want to deny the rights that other Americans enjoy ... equal pay, in ALL areas (women doing the same job as men, and, as in this article, servers and waitpeople), controlling one's own reproduction, marrying whom they want .......

And, the same rw's yammer on and on about how they want smaller government but will vote for more and more laws to control us peons and serfs.

Take note T - I'm leaving again. This time for several hours. If you have a problem with that, I suggest you sit it on and spin.

Before I leave, does anyone have PROOF that all servers get $14 ah hour in tips?

No?

Didn't think so.

Minimum Wage For Restaurant Servers Remains Stagnant For 20 Years Under Industry Lobbying

And, the right fought to keep it that way.

The restaurant industry, led by the National Restaurant Association -- and its board chairman Herman Cain, who would later become the group's president -- successfully pressured lawmakers to have the minimum wage for tipped employees separated from the increase and kept at $2.13.

Really, there's no excuse for this. And no excuse for it to be a political issue. But it is.

You do know they average over 12 Dollars an Hour with tips right. Tips that the Chronically under report on their Taxes.

You people are so blind.

Probably doesn't happen at the local greasy spoon, but a waiter in a good restaurant that does a good volume can make substantial money, a few lucky ones with really upscale clientele can pull down as much as six figures. To a good waiter the base wage required by law is essentially meaningless. Probably most don't even know what it is.

Take a restaurant here in Albuquerque that after you figure in the appetizers, main course, dessert, and a good wine, the average bill per diner will be up to $60. If it is a party of 10 you look at a total bill of $600. The waiter will get a minimum of 20% of that or $120. Even if he gives his busser $20, he is left with $100 profit for about 30 minutes total work including greeting the diners, taking orders, delivering the orders, and checking back to see if anybody needs anything. (He is no doubt working up to five other tables as well.)

Sure are a lot of IF's in this post.

There goes the rw argument that waitpeople are just rolling in tips.

Where did Nerdite go? Offing another troll thread?

Life. You and the other lazy rw's are here from dawn to well after dark. If someone leaves, it means they left. Quit acting like this is a junior high playground.

Why don't you stay on topic?

Fact is, rw's want to deny the rights that other Americans enjoy ... equal pay, in ALL areas (women doing the same job as men, and, as in this article, servers and waitpeople), controlling one's own reproduction, marrying whom they want .......

And, the same rw's yammer on and on about how they want smaller government but will vote for more and more laws to control us peons and serfs.

Take note T - I'm leaving again. This time for several hours. If you have a problem with that, I suggest you sit it on and spin.

Before I leave, does anyone have PROOF that all servers get $14 ah hour in tips?

No?

Didn't think so.
Okay Einstein. Lets look at your assertions.

We are going to stay on the topic, since it is the topic you wanted to discuss. Right wingers do want less government. To require that people pay fewer taxes, that is not a restriction on people. It is a restriction on government. Can you even think straight? People who make wait staff wages do so because they more than compensate for that low wage in tips. There are also legal tax reporting issues in which, if you had your way, would reduce the overall tax collection to the government, place a huge burden on the wait staff AND the business.

You have proof right in this very thread. One fellow says he can make upwards of 200 dollars a night. Most bartenders don't work but 6 to eight hours, but even if it is for 10 hours, that 20 per hour.

Most waiters and waitresses and make upward of 100 dollars a night on a slow night, and upward of 200 -250 a night on a good weekend. At an eight-hour shift, 200 per night is over 25 per hour.

Why don't you grow a pair and admit that when you went looking for a topic, you thought you could beat up on the people that come here, that you picked one in which you cannot win. Next time, actually believe in something before going out looking for 'aha' topics.

And try to care about the things you believe in. Looking for topics just to post here hoping you'll embarrass someone is beyond pathetic.

I have a buddy in Las Vegas who claims to make around $80k a year as a waiter in one of Wolfgang Puck's restaurants.

Care to prove otherwise? Maybe you should disappear for a few hours and get new talking points.

I never said EVERY worker made 14 per hour.....In fact, like all jobs, you get out of it what you put into it.

I can guarantee you that after you add the tips made and the wages earned, that their bottom line is NOT FUCKING 2.13 per hour, is it?

Why do you feel you have to lie about this in order to make your point?

People make good money as wait staff, provided your friendly, smile and offer good service.

Force them to make just minimum wage with no tips, and your going to get food thrown at you from the kitchen because the staff can't be bothered to spend 8 hours on their feet just to feed your ass.

Why is it that leftist have to remove incentive for a phoney 'equality' that will never exist?

Indeed. If they didn't make decent wages? They'd be looking elsewhere.
Yep.....when you work hard, and don't get rewarded for it, at least well compensated, people tend to move on..at least in the restaurant industry. But hell, truckers are God fearing, decent morals, conservatives who often appreciate being served (preferably by a cute little thing) and show their appreciation by generously tipping. I would venture to say that those establishments that cater to the left have the gratuity added into the bill so as not to be bothered with friendly service or hard work.

It is customary to give tip of 15% of the bill on meals consumed in a restaurant.

Judging by his generosity towards charities, cheap and paltry and trifling people like Joe Biden are the ones who inspired luddly.neddite to offer his insipid post.

Bidens Donate 1.5 Percent of Income to Charity in 2011 | The Weekly Standard

As in everything else a liberal icon, as all liberals offers the best he can (or finds it in his stone-cold heart to) do.

Last edited:

Your head has to be made of the densest matter in the known universe.

Actually talk to someone who waits tables in decent restaurants. They make buckets of cash. Your thread, much like you and your god Obama, are complete failures.

Last edited:

I have a buddy in Las Vegas who claims to make around $80k a year as a waiter in one of Wolfgang Puck's restaurants.

I don't know the restaurant he works at in NYC, I guess I'll find out when I get there next weekend, but it's a place where a lot of famous people go. he's often talking on Facebook about the famous person he waited on that day.

Most people can wait on 20 tables inside 4 or 5 hours, if not inside of two. At 5 dollars a table, you've hit 100 dollars.

This isn't rocket surgery.

I'm not dealing with if's. I am dealing with reality as an auditor who has audited the books in many dozens of restaurants in this area and around the state and in some neighboring states. I see right there in the computerized ledgers what the employees are making. And no waiter who does the job is working for even close to as little as minimum wage and most are easily earning a good living wage. And yes, some in high volume upscale restaurants are earning six figures.

We need FDR Wage laws so that the restaurant business collapses and can only survive with government handouts. $30/hour minimum wage!

Since Applebees was already brought into this conversation by another, and I have quite a bit of knowledge about how it operates I will use this as an example.

In California there is no tip minimum wage, the business must pay you the federal minimum wage of 7.50/hour. Does Applebees struggle in California, or do they have higher prices.

The answer to both questions, is no. Care to explain?

Most people can wait on 20 tables inside 4 or 5 hours, if not inside of two. At 5 dollars a table, you've hit 100 dollars.

This isn't rocket surgery.

At Olive Garden, you are only allowed 3 table sections. So yes, if the resteraunt is on a wait for the entire 5 hours, you could possibly cover 15 tables. Considering they are never on a wait for 5 hours, the average server there covers around 10 tables a night.

Your right, its not rocket science.

New Topics

Forum List

Back