Tipping: Am I the Only One who Gets It?

I am on a FaceBook feed to Amtrak "enthusiasts" who post about their plans, trips, problems, and enjoyment of Amtrak travel. The subject of tipping the "cabin boys" (or whatever they are called) often arises, with a great variety of sentiments expressed.

This is what everyone should know about tipping.

The Fair Labor Standards Act provides a "special" minimum wage for "tipped employees," the most prominent example of which are table servers (formerly called, "waitresses") in eating establishments. For THOSE PEOPLE, the MW is $2.13/hr. Obviously, the reason why they have a lower MW is because it is presumed that they will come up to at least the MW when tips are included in their compensation calculation. In fact, the restaurants are supposed to monitor what they make in tips, and supplement it to the regular MW ($7.25/hr) if the tips are insufficient to get them there.

Most Americans used to tip about 1/7 or 15% of the gross amount of the bill, but since the Covid insanity that has been increased to a "customary" tip of 20%.

Now we come to what might be called, "counter service," most typically, the Baristas at Starbuck's and similar venues. This is a fundamentally different proposition. These people ARE subject to the regular MW, and typically are paid at least $10/hr. Moreover, they are not delivering food to your table, they merely prepare it. Under normal circumstances they are entitled to no tip, under the FLSA. But if their service is exceptional, give them something - but less than the 20% you would give to "tipped employees," right?

Usually this is done via a "tip jar," placed next to the cash register.

Now, I'm told, if you pay with a card, the screen prompts you to make a tip, and suggests 15 or 20 percent. I've never seen it myself (I always pay cash), but if it does happen, it is outrageous. You are put in the position of having to make or decline a tip when the Barista is looking at the screen? Are you kidding me? And they haven't prepared your order yet? The mind reels.

Finally we come to Amtrak, and the ordinary services that the Porter provides if you have a sleeping compartment (as opposed to riding "Coach").

These people are union members, with lifetime employment guarantees, good compensation, great benefits, and early retirement. And people feel obliged to TIP THEM????? Shouldn't "we" be entitled to excellent service as a matter of course?

It is beyond absurd. And yet when I point this out of FB, people do their best to tear me a new A-H for being such a cad.

Other opinions?
Fuck 'em. I tip when I feel it is called for. I don't GAF if their feelings are hurt or not. If they had done a good job, they would have gotten a tip. As for other folks judging me--fuck them too. I don't tip counter workers. I tip my barber. I tip tour guides in accordance to the information they presented. I tip "cabin attendants" on ships and I suppose that would include Amtrac. Bottom line, I tip when I feel it is appropriate in appropriate sums. BTW, all states don't follow the reduced minimum. WA state is over $15/hr for all. CA as well. However that is not the case in ID.

I tip all the time. I used to be more selective, but I can't remember receiving bad service (sometimes bad food though) so I usually over tip.
Canada is a different situation altogether. I am not sure how wait staff are paid, but in BC, the price on the menu becomes 50% more when provincial taxes, GST and a 20% tip are figured in. Canadian prices are already too high and when these other charges are factored in, it is ridiculous--so as a result--I don't eat in restaurants in Canada.

I spent some time in New Zealand back in the 70s. At time, it was considered an insult to the owner of the establishment to tip the wait staff.

Tipping doesn't make you decent.
I was raised to be a gentleman. I'd rather someone see me as generous and gracious than poor or stingy. How do you think I ended up dating those waitresses and barmaids?

I was raised to be a gentleman. I'd rather someone see me as generous and gracious than poor or stingy. How do you think I ended up dating those waitresses and barmaids?

Cool story, but that doesn't make you decent.

I'm comfortable enough in my own skin to not care what others think about me. And surely don't need to flash money to make people want to be around me.

I noticed you used the word dated, with the waitresses.

Didn't take them long to figure things out eh? :scared1:

Cool story, but that doesn't make you decent.

I'm comfortable enough in my own skin to not care what others think about me. And surely don't need to flash money to make people want to be around me.

I noticed you used the word dated, with the waitresses.

Didn't take them long to figure things out eh? :scared1:
I did what they called "dating around" for nearly 15 years. In the golden age of cocaine in South Florida no one was getting serious. It was so easy to get a woman back to your place with the offer of a few lines. I feel bad about it now but that's how things worked. There was a day I liked to wake up with a story. That's how you die with no regrets.

So I'm the only one who considers whether they are "tipped employees"?

Surely this is not a random sample of American humans.

If it's a service job, I tip. Whether or not they are paid the minimum wage, less than the minimum wage, or more than the minimum wage. The amount I tip is determine by how good the service, but never below 15%, there is no top limit. If it's one of my usual haunts, I am overly generous. No one wants to be the regular everyone hates...

I am always polite and respectful. My feeling has always been that these people deal with enough assholes during the day, I don't need to be one more...

I've dated a lot of waitresses and barmaids. I know what they go through and I strive to make sure I am not part of anyone's bad day at work.
I also dated a waitress back in the day. I never worked in food service so it gave me a whole different appreciation for how hard that job is physically and mentally. People can be total, and I mean TOTAL dickheads in a restaurant. I usually tip 20 percent, I even tip a couple bucks when I drive to pickup food.

So I'm the only one who considers whether they are "tipped employees"?

Surely this is not a random sample of American humans.

I do not consider whether they are tipped employees or not, but just what they do.

Fast food where I am standing in line or going through a drive thru I do not tip, most other places I do.

I tend to not ever use, or even carry, cash unless I am travelling so I do not normally have anything to put in a tip jar.

Unless the service was just horrendous we normally tip around 25%

This is not RATIONAL!

If someone is a table server making $2.13/hr, and
Someone else is a Barista making $10/hr, and
Someone else is a hotel cleaning lady making $7.50/hr, and
Someone else is an Amtrak porter making $25/hr with generous benefits, and
Someone else is a Philippine cleaning lady on a cruise ship making $100/month, and

YOU TIP THEM ALL THE SAME????????????

Can you at least acknowledge that this is not rational behavior?

I am on a FaceBook feed to Amtrak "enthusiasts" who post about their plans, trips, problems, and enjoyment of Amtrak travel. The subject of tipping the "cabin boys" (or whatever they are called) often arises, with a great variety of sentiments expressed.

This is what everyone should know about tipping.

The Fair Labor Standards Act provides a "special" minimum wage for "tipped employees," the most prominent example of which are table servers (formerly called, "waitresses") in eating establishments. For THOSE PEOPLE, the MW is $2.13/hr. Obviously, the reason why they have a lower MW is because it is presumed that they will come up to at least the MW when tips are included in their compensation calculation. In fact, the restaurants are supposed to monitor what they make in tips, and supplement it to the regular MW ($7.25/hr) if the tips are insufficient to get them there.

Most Americans used to tip about 1/7 or 15% of the gross amount of the bill, but since the Covid insanity that has been increased to a "customary" tip of 20%.

Now we come to what might be called, "counter service," most typically, the Baristas at Starbuck's and similar venues. This is a fundamentally different proposition. These people ARE subject to the regular MW, and typically are paid at least $10/hr. Moreover, they are not delivering food to your table, they merely prepare it. Under normal circumstances they are entitled to no tip, under the FLSA. But if their service is exceptional, give them something - but less than the 20% you would give to "tipped employees," right?

Usually this is done via a "tip jar," placed next to the cash register.

Now, I'm told, if you pay with a card, the screen prompts you to make a tip, and suggests 15 or 20 percent. I've never seen it myself (I always pay cash), but if it does happen, it is outrageous. You are put in the position of having to make or decline a tip when the Barista is looking at the screen? Are you kidding me? And they haven't prepared your order yet? The mind reels.

Finally we come to Amtrak, and the ordinary services that the Porter provides if you have a sleeping compartment (as opposed to riding "Coach").

These people are union members, with lifetime employment guarantees, good compensation, great benefits, and early retirement. And people feel obliged to TIP THEM????? Shouldn't "we" be entitled to excellent service as a matter of course?

It is beyond absurd. And yet when I point this out of FB, people do their best to tear me a new A-H for being such a cad.

Other opinions?
Does it bother you this much when a CEO gets a bonus? Who cares if other people feel like tipping them?

It's not a matter of generosity - I'm all for it - but one can be generous and rational at the same time.

It doesn't bother me in the least when a corporate CEO makes a ton of money. It's not my money, and it's done according to the rules of corporate governance. I'm not in the habit of substituting my judgment for that of those who know better.

Someone else is a Philippine cleaning lady on a cruise ship making $100/month, and
Don't know where you got this info. A typical cruise ship cabin attendant and assistant are responsible for 20 cabins. Each cabin is charged $10/day tip--that adds up to $200/day, split plus wages, room and board. Those are much better wages than they would get in the Philippines.

Forum List

Back