Tipping: Am I the Only One who Gets It?

I am on a FaceBook feed to Amtrak "enthusiasts" who post about their plans, trips, problems, and enjoyment of Amtrak travel. The subject of tipping the "cabin boys" (or whatever they are called) often arises, with a great variety of sentiments expressed.

This is what everyone should know about tipping.

The Fair Labor Standards Act provides a "special" minimum wage for "tipped employees," the most prominent example of which are table servers (formerly called, "waitresses") in eating establishments. For THOSE PEOPLE, the MW is $2.13/hr. Obviously, the reason why they have a lower MW is because it is presumed that they will come up to at least the MW when tips are included in their compensation calculation. In fact, the restaurants are supposed to monitor what they make in tips, and supplement it to the regular MW ($7.25/hr) if the tips are insufficient to get them there.

Most Americans used to tip about 1/7 or 15% of the gross amount of the bill, but since the Covid insanity that has been increased to a "customary" tip of 20%.

Now we come to what might be called, "counter service," most typically, the Baristas at Starbuck's and similar venues. This is a fundamentally different proposition. These people ARE subject to the regular MW, and typically are paid at least $10/hr. Moreover, they are not delivering food to your table, they merely prepare it. Under normal circumstances they are entitled to no tip, under the FLSA. But if their service is exceptional, give them something - but less than the 20% you would give to "tipped employees," right?

Usually this is done via a "tip jar," placed next to the cash register.

Now, I'm told, if you pay with a card, the screen prompts you to make a tip, and suggests 15 or 20 percent. I've never seen it myself (I always pay cash), but if it does happen, it is outrageous. You are put in the position of having to make or decline a tip when the Barista is looking at the screen? Are you kidding me? And they haven't prepared your order yet? The mind reels.

Finally we come to Amtrak, and the ordinary services that the Porter provides if you have a sleeping compartment (as opposed to riding "Coach").

These people are union members, with lifetime employment guarantees, good compensation, great benefits, and early retirement. And people feel obliged to TIP THEM????? Shouldn't "we" be entitled to excellent service as a matter of course?

It is beyond absurd. And yet when I point this out of FB, people do their best to tear me a new A-H for being such a cad.

Other opinions?

it is absurd!

I am on a FaceBook feed to Amtrak "enthusiasts" who post about their plans, trips, problems, and enjoyment of Amtrak travel. The subject of tipping the "cabin boys" (or whatever they are called) often arises, with a great variety of sentiments expressed.

This is what everyone should know about tipping.

The Fair Labor Standards Act provides a "special" minimum wage for "tipped employees," the most prominent example of which are table servers (formerly called, "waitresses") in eating establishments. For THOSE PEOPLE, the MW is $2.13/hr. Obviously, the reason why they have a lower MW is because it is presumed that they will come up to at least the MW when tips are included in their compensation calculation. In fact, the restaurants are supposed to monitor what they make in tips, and supplement it to the regular MW ($7.25/hr) if the tips are insufficient to get them there.

Most Americans used to tip about 1/7 or 15% of the gross amount of the bill, but since the Covid insanity that has been increased to a "customary" tip of 20%.

Now we come to what might be called, "counter service," most typically, the Baristas at Starbuck's and similar venues. This is a fundamentally different proposition. These people ARE subject to the regular MW, and typically are paid at least $10/hr. Moreover, they are not delivering food to your table, they merely prepare it. Under normal circumstances they are entitled to no tip, under the FLSA. But if their service is exceptional, give them something - but less than the 20% you would give to "tipped employees," right?

Usually this is done via a "tip jar," placed next to the cash register.

Now, I'm told, if you pay with a card, the screen prompts you to make a tip, and suggests 15 or 20 percent. I've never seen it myself (I always pay cash), but if it does happen, it is outrageous. You are put in the position of having to make or decline a tip when the Barista is looking at the screen? Are you kidding me? And they haven't prepared your order yet? The mind reels.

Finally we come to Amtrak, and the ordinary services that the Porter provides if you have a sleeping compartment (as opposed to riding "Coach").

These people are union members, with lifetime employment guarantees, good compensation, great benefits, and early retirement. And people feel obliged to TIP THEM????? Shouldn't "we" be entitled to excellent service as a matter of course?

It is beyond absurd. And yet when I point this out of FB, people do their best to tear me a new A-H for being such a cad.

Other opinions?
Stay home. And it's wrong to expect great service. That's never been the american way.

Forum List

Back