CDZ Virginia Parents: Runaway Carriage

Thread has been cleaned...some of you seem to forget that you're in the CDZ Zone.

No insults, no putting down, no flaming. The object of this place is to engage in civil debate.

Last edited:
The purpose of the assignment was to demonstrate the value of tolerance. This lesson was included in the curriculum for that very reason.
Bullshit!

It was a freshman geography homework assignment.
This lesson was one of several aimed at teaching about world religions. Judaism, Hinduism and Christianity were also included. I assume you have precisely the same objections to those lessons? I would also assume that you are much more knowledgeable than the school district as to how best to design a curriculum. You truly are a prophet! Get down to Virginia immediately and straighten those folks out!!
When did they have to write down a Christian act of faith? Or are you just blowing gas?

Red:
If you'd bothered to look at the document that describes in detail the scope of the Augusta County, VA World Geography class, you'd have observed, among other things, the following lesson/course content/objectives:
  • Page 22:
    • Describe how cultural characteristics link or divide regions, and identify examples.
    • Compare and contrast differing sets of ideas, beliefs, and behaviors
  • Page 34:
    • Provide some background on the practices and beliefs of [Judaism, Christianity and Islam].
Now I don't know what the students specifically wrote in connection with those learning objectives, but looking at what are the many articles of Christian faith, it's hard to imagine that in achieving either or all of the objectives above that the students managed to avoid writing at least one tenet of faith. I suspect the same is so with regard to the students' learning about Judaism.

Whether the students were asked to depict words or images that correspond to an article of faith, be it for Christianity or Islam, the detailed course description document, along with the instructions the teacher provided for the assignment, makes it very clear that the shahada word's inclusion pertained to art not religious dogma. On page 160 in the course description document, one finds the following:
The art reflects the diversity of the religions [of North Africa and Southwest Asia].
1. Christian church — stained glass
2. Islam — geometric tiles, prayer rugs, mosaics, calligraphy
Like some folks, I too would take exception with a public school teacher's abstrusely veiled attempt to inculcate my kids with theistic dogma and doing so with the aim of their joining the given faith. There is, however, no evidence that was going on in that classroom.

Last edited:
Thread has been cleaned...some of you seem to forget that you're in the CDZ Zone.

No insults, no putting down, no flaming. The object of this place is to engage in civil debate.
I'm so sorry! Don't remember what I said, but my apologies to all.

Forum List

Back