Zone1 Who is responsible for youth crime? The parents?

frigidweirdo

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2014

"Michigan school shooter's mother blames her husband in trial testimony"

So, here's an ethnics question. Who is responsible for the crimes of children?

Children have limited rights and limited responsibilities. Should we make it the law that parents are responsible for what their kids do?

This particular case, the child claims to have mental problems, and also claims to have been neglected by his parents.

Can parents be responsible for mental illness?

Should kids get more and more responsibility as they get older?

Children have limited rights and limited responsibilities. Should we make it the law that parents are responsible for what their kids do?

This particular case, the child claims to have mental problems, and also claims to have been neglected by his parents.

They should be held responsible, especially if they contributed and exercised no control.

They should be held responsible, especially if they contributed and exercised no control.
Ezekiel 18:20 comes to mind: A child won’t bear a parent’s guilt, and a parent won’t bear a child’s guilt.

Context being important, Ezekiel was addressing the acts of adults. So, in the case of a minor the first question that comes mind from the point of view of the law, Is poor parenting a crime? Should poor parenting even be considered a crime?

How do you define whether they contributed and exercised no control?
In this case, bought him the weapon and the ammunition, did not keep them secured, nor the ammunition, lack of supervision even in their own home, where they solely responsible for what goes on. They are guily of negligence leading to homicide, having made mistakes that cannot be made right.

Ezekiel 18:20 comes to mind: A child won’t bear a parent’s guilt, and a parent won’t bear a child’s guilt.

Context being important, Ezekiel was addressing the acts of adults. So, in the case of a minor the first question that comes mind from the point of view of the law, Is poor parenting a crime? Should poor parenting even be considered a crime?
You easily justify the negligence of the parents with ancient biblical text, in a country that insure seperation of church and state, so that individuals were able to choose their own religion or no religion at all, without pressure from the state?

So, let me get this straight.

Schools have taken God and morality out of the schools and now cry about immorality running rampant and how it is destroying society?

I say Trump done it.

:auiqs.jpg:

Better have you child carry a fire arm to school for protection.

You easily justify the negligence of the parents with ancient biblical text, in a country that insure seperation of church and state, so that individuals were able to choose their own religion or no religion at all, without pressure from the state?
Wrong conclusion. Do we want our oh so modern separated government to come into our homes on the auspices of poor parenting? In this case, what was the parents' purpose? Did they foresee what was about to happen? Or, did they envision a positive way to connect with their child in their home?

Don't get me wrong again. The child should be punished, and the parents are already being punished and will continue to be for the rest of their lives. They, too, are living in tragedy, although not the same tragedy as the family and friends of victims.

Ancient wisdom should not be tossed aside on the grounds it is ancient or because it is in the Bible.

Wrong conclusion. Do we want our oh so modern separated government to come into our homes on the auspices of poor parenting? In this case, what was the parents' purpose? Did they foresee what was about to happen? Or, did they envision a positive way to connect with their child in their home?

Don't get me wrong again. The child should be punished, and the parents are already being punished and will continue to be for the rest of their lives. They, too, are living in tragedy, although not the same tragedy as the family and friends of victims.

Ancient wisdom should not be tossed aside on the grounds it is ancient or because it is in the Bible.

The parents broke federal gun laws by giving their child a handgun and ammunition.

Therefore they are also culpable for the murders of those 4 people.

If you drive a getaway car and the person who actually robbed the bank killed someone you are still guilty of the murders even if you didn't enter the bank.

Only if it is done so poorly, the product of the parenting have proven to be a true blight on society. Poor supervision has it's own rewards, positive and negative, as responsibility cannot be delegated.
Gross negligence is gross negligence.

Only if it is done so poorly, the product of the parenting have proven to be a true blight on society. Poor supervision has it's own rewards, positive and negative, as responsibility cannot be delegated.
And she is totally ignoring the fact that the parents committed a crime when they violated federal gun laws.

When both parents are needed in the workplace, children suffer because supervision is lacking. (I don't know these parents situation, just generally speaking.) If the government wants to "help" then let's figure out a way for more parental presence in the home. It seems working from home might be a start--and usually, I am not a fan of working from home. First step, what jobs can be done from home, jobs with a loose schedule and few deadlines so that children can be the first priority?

Face it. Government is failing to keep crime off the street and in stores. Government is not going to be any better at "parenting".

When both parents are needed in the workplace, children suffer because supervision is lacking. (I don't know these parents situation, just generally speaking.) If the government wants to "help" then let's figure out a way for more parental presence in the home. It seems working from home might be a start--and usually, I am not a fan of working from home. First step, what jobs can be done from home, jobs with a loose schedule and few deadlines so that children can be the first priority?

Face it. Government is failing to keep crime off the street and in stores. Government is not going to be any better at "parenting".
Life's a bitch, ain't it? It doesn't change parental responsivities, though. When I was a teenager, both my parents worked outside the home and even before that, with dad working, mom was going to college. I still knew what was acceptable and unacceptable behavior, and was still expected to live within standards, enforced, not just by community, but from home. That's just the way it has to be. Parents must be responsible or else children never will be, and will be a danger to society. Trying to put the responsibility on the government is a cop out. Responsibility begins in the home.

Exactly. So no government trying to punish the parents for the sins of the child.
No. That is required. Without it, many parents would shirk their responsibility, leading to outcomes, such as with the case of their sociopathic son.

Blaming others for the action of others would seem to go against individual rights.

Forum List

Back