Vikings fans say goodbye to the Metrodome

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Vikings fans say emotional goodbye to Metrodome

I dunno, I sorta thought the place sucked.

MINNEAPOLIS - There's no doubt, Minnesota had some fun under the Teflon roof of the Metrodome.

"Lots of good memories," said Mike Beling, of Savage. "I'm getting emotional, actually." Even on a frigid Sunday afternoon, tailgating carried on as stories were told.

From Randy Moss lateralling a pass over his shoulder to Moe Williams for a touchdown to Adrian Peterson's record-breaking 296-yard rushing day to a discouraging playoff loss to Atlanta in 1998, fans came out on Sunday to say goodbye.

"We had to come down for the last game – a whole bus of us from the Princeton VFW came down. It's been a great time," said Kimberly Jensen, of Princeton. "I am ready for the next chapter. Always move forward."

The Metrodome has been this state's sports haven for 32 years. The famous bubble-top is part of our sports fabric and even with the tight concourses and few frills, many fans say they miss the Metrodome.

Lauren Nahurski, of St. Paul, said the Dome is home for her. She felt she needed to be cheering on the Vikings under the dome on Sunday -- one last time.

"I have been here since I was a child," she said. "Lots of memories here. I was at the last Twins game, and it's very cool to be at last Vikings game."

Thirty-two years is a long time. Next up;

The Vikings will move to TCF Bank stadium on the University of Minnesota campus for the next two seasons. That stadium has about 50,000 seats, compared to the 64,000 seats in the Metrodome. The team's $1 billion new home will be built on the site where the Metrodome sits now. It's due to open in July of 2016.

Worried about your tailgating ritual? The team hopes to move the pre-game celebrations to the U campus for games starting next season. "We expect there to be tailgating similar to what you would see at a Gophers football game," said Anderson. "We don't want to take away the tradition, and we hope that we'll be able to continue it for those two years."

The team and the city of Minneapolis are still working out how to accommodate tailgaters when the team moves into its new home, where the Metrodome now stands, he added.

The Metrodome's final days: What you need to know | Minnesota Public Radio News

MINNEAPOLIS - There's no doubt, Minnesota had some fun under the Teflon roof of the Metrodome.

"Lots of good memories," said Mike Beling, of Savage. "I'm getting emotional, actually." Even on a frigid Sunday afternoon, tailgating carried on as stories were told.

From Randy Moss lateralling a pass over his shoulder to Moe Williams for a touchdown to Adrian Peterson's record-breaking 296-yard rushing day to a discouraging playoff loss to Atlanta in 1998, fans came out on Sunday to say goodbye.

"We had to come down for the last game – a whole bus of us from the Princeton VFW came down. It's been a great time," said Kimberly Jensen, of Princeton. "I am ready for the next chapter. Always move forward."

The Metrodome has been this state's sports haven for 32 years. The famous bubble-top is part of our sports fabric and even with the tight concourses and few frills, many fans say they miss the Metrodome.

Lauren Nahurski, of St. Paul, said the Dome is home for her. She felt she needed to be cheering on the Vikings under the dome on Sunday -- one last time.

"I have been here since I was a child," she said. "Lots of memories here. I was at the last Twins game, and it's very cool to be at last Vikings game."

The Vikings will move to TCF Bank stadium on the University of Minnesota campus for the next two seasons. That stadium has about 50,000 seats, compared to the 64,000 seats in the Metrodome. The team's $1 billion new home will be built on the site where the Metrodome sits now. It's due to open in July of 2016.

Worried about your tailgating ritual? The team hopes to move the pre-game celebrations to the U campus for games starting next season. "We expect there to be tailgating similar to what you would see at a Gophers football game," said Anderson. "We don't want to take away the tradition, and we hope that we'll be able to continue it for those two years."

The team and the city of Minneapolis are still working out how to accommodate tailgaters when the team moves into its new home, where the Metrodome now stands, he added.

Of course it sucked, that is what made it special.

• Banned
Mumble, and the obligatory grumble because Mother Fletcher! It's too cold to type!

Shoreview.gif

ANY domed stadium in minnesota sucks.If its just going to be a new domed stadium to replace the old one.who gives a fuck? Now if they are finally going to give fans what they want,an OUTDOOR stadium.then thats the best news I have ever heard that its gone. thats not I been hearing though. further proof the government doesnt give a rats ass what the fans want,most fans want an outdoor stadium yet they wont give it to them.fucking nazis.

ANY domed stadium in minnesota sucks.If its just going to be a new domed stadium to replace the old one.who gives a fuck? Now if they are finally going to give fans what they want,an OUTDOOR stadium.then thats the best news I have ever heard that its gone. thats not I been hearing though. further proof the government doesnt give a rats ass what the fans want,most fans want an outdoor stadium yet they wont give it to them.fucking nazis.

I really doubt there would be a whole lot of folks willing to sit in sub-zero degree weather for 3 plus hours. NFL games cost a premium price. Who wants to shell out big bucks and freeze to death? The Vikes had trouble selling out games when they played at the Met in bad weather. If the Wilf's want to shell out an extra $75 - 100 Million for a retractable roof, that would be one thing. Outdoor games in late December / January in Minny? Not attractive for folks used to creature comforts.

Well, they are going to play outdoors the next couple seasons. Be interesting to see how they do attendance wise. Of course that also depends on the kind of product they put on the field. If they put out the dreck that they did this season...

Hope they get a good coach and then address the QB position. Maybe get lucky and draft Johnny Fuckin Football. That might help with attendance.

The Metrodome did suck. But it was historic. The biggest dome with the 'baggy' roof, I believe. And the 87 and 91 WS with the epic noise levels. I'm glad that I got to go to some Twins and Vikings games there before it go torn down. It's just a shame the Vikes didn't create better memories there. Had they got home field advantage in 09, they surely would have beat the Saints and went to the SB that year. That's a shame.

In any event, it was out-dated and it's good that it's getting replaced by baseball and football specific stadiums, imo.

I really doubt there would be a whole lot of folks willing to sit in sub-zero degree weather for 3 plus hours. NFL games cost a premium price. Who wants to shell out big bucks and freeze to death? The Vikes had trouble selling out games when they played at the Met in bad weather. If the Wilf's want to shell out an extra $75 - 100 Million for a retractable roof, that would be one thing. Outdoor games in late December / January in Minny? Not attractive for folks used to creature comforts.

you obviously only read PART of my post.if you had the whole thing you would have seen the part how most the fans want an outdoor stadium.:cuckoo:

Yup. They did for decades.

yeah those were the good old days when football was fun to watch.now with all these wussys playing indoors like the Vikings and lions,it takes the joy out of it.the packers fans have to sit through comparable bad weather up in green bay.if they can do it then so can vikes fans.:cuckoo: man I miss the good old days.

Well, they are going to play outdoors the next couple seasons. Be interesting to see how they do attendance wise. Of course that also depends on the kind of product they put on the field. If they put out the dreck that they did this season...

Hope they get a good coach and then address the QB position. Maybe get lucky and draft Johnny Fuckin Football. That might help with attendance.

yeah I just read that.glad to see that for at LEAST a couple years,we'll get to relive the good old days and see them play outdoors again.:dance: they are morons to build another indoor stadium because ever since they went to indoors,they have been so spoiled by playing indoors,that they have lost that toughness they always had when they played outdoors.Playing outdoors made them tough and they could stand the elements when they played on the road against Chicago and green bay during the regular season.

NOW they are so spoiled indoors,they have lost that toughness they had when they played outdoors when they went to four superbowls.

yeah I just read that.glad to see that for at LEAST a couple years,we'll get to relive the good old days and see them play outdoors again.:dance: they are morons to build another indoor stadium because ever since they went to indoors,they have been so spoiled by playing indoors,that they have lost that toughness they always had when they played outdoors.Playing outdoors made them tough and they could stand the elements when they played on the road against Chicago and green bay during the regular season.

NOW they are so spoiled indoors,they have lost that toughness they had when they played outdoors when they went to four superbowls.

Being conditioned to the elements helped them beat teams in Minnesota, but the Superbowls were all in warm weather settings like Miami or New Orleans. Then they had no such advantage and their undersized defensive fronts got steamrolled.

Being conditioned to the elements helped them beat teams in Minnesota, but the Superbowls were all in warm weather settings like Miami or New Orleans. Then they had no such advantage and their undersized defensive fronts got steamrolled.

the conditions in the cold obviously favored them getting into the playoffs those years and for sure has an effect on them.I remember the year with farve how they lost the championship game to the saints in new orleans,that in one of their last games of the year they were playing the bears in chicago and THE BEARS,a crappy team just as they are now,beat them by like two touchdowns.:lol:if they had been playing all their home games outdoors,no way do they lose that game back then because they are conditioned for it liek they were back then.

polls that were taken in minnesota by the fans,the majority said they wanted an outdoor stadium,iwhen they played that outdoor game a c ouple years ago,you saw many signes of fans that said-hooray outdoor football in minnesota is back.

Last edited:
Yup. They did for decades.

And it was a great experience.

Ask Miami, Oakland or Dallas what an advantage cold weather teams have when playing outdoors.

How many Superbowls have the Vikes been since playing indoors?

which is why the vikes are idiots to build an indoor stadium again.:cuckoo: they want to keep missing the playoffs decade after decade,then go ahead,build that indoor stadium again and STAY non committed to getting back to the superbowl.the closest they have come to making it back since going indoors was when they were lucky enough to get Brett farve.

It could take many generations before they are able to get lucky again and pry away one of the greatest Quarterbacks of all time again.:lol: thats something as demonstrated with their organization,only happens once in a great blue moon.:lol:

Forum List

Back