Vietnam comparison

The comparison is apt when you refer to us "cutting and running" Which is what he is talking about.

The conflict is not similar. But the effort of the Press and the Liberals to undercut our military and our responsibilities is exactly the same.

South Vietnam fell because we did NOT follow through with our commitments. Democrats cut funding and starved the South Vietnamese Army of ammunition, fuel, equipment and parts. Then when North Vietnam Invaded the democrats refused to honor our agreement to aid the South with Air, artillery and naval support. Which is all they needed in 1972 and all they would have needed in 1975. Read the words of the North Vietnamese Generals. The initial attack was simply a probe in force. When it became apparent the US would not help the North ordered a full scale Invasion. 25 divisions against the Souths 11.

We have a duty and responsibility to ensure that a Government exists in Iraq that can provide internal and external security to the Country BEFORE we leave.

That is a quite clear explanation. Thanks! He should have used those words.

Guessing:
So the reason for doing this comparison now is mainly political? Earlier when the war had more support any comparison to Vietnam would be bad. Now it is used in order to get as many as possible behind this effort.

It is good that it's said right out actually.

That is a quite clear explanation. Thanks! He should have used those words.

Guessing:
So the reason for doing this comparison now is mainly political? Earlier when the war had more support any comparison to Vietnam would be bad. Now it is used in order to get as many as possible behind this effort.

It is good that it's said right out actually.

I believe you hit the nail right on the head Erik.

Hey write to them and explain how legalizing drugs will solve all their problems like in the US.

What exactly is your point sopposed to be here? Its pretty obvious its not a lack of funds thats the issue, its the distribution.

BTW, if you have been paying attention I dont believe in DICTATING to other nations on what to do, I believe in their rights to self-determination and I also believe in trying to develop good diplomatic relations that have positive goals in mind for ALL involved.

If you want to make snide remarks, they should at least make some sense....otherwise it just backfires, as it did here.

Wrong, and wrong.

Feel free to actually try to support your point once in a while, the change will do you good.

Are you saying that the tonkin incident wasnt a lie and that the WMD story wasnt a lie? The facts are in on both of those issues and it turns out we LIED both times.

What exactly is your point sopposed to be here? Its pretty obvious its not a lack of funds thats the issue, its the distribution.

BTW, if you have been paying attention I dont believe in DICTATING to other nations on what to do, I believe in their rights to self-determination and I also believe in trying to develop good diplomatic relations that have positive goals in mind for ALL involved.

If you want to make snide remarks, they should at least make some sense....otherwise it just backfires, as it did here.

Good, since your no longer IN the US, I can safely assume anything you have to say about our laws and our regulations do not apply, I mean after all you do not want to interfere in our free will do you?

Simple MORONIC Drivel. Comparing the US to terrorists is ignorant at best. That you actually believe this garbage is ridiculous.

And people like Reilly give you a pass on these moronic statements.

First of all, your desperate attempts to try and rope others into doing your battles for you is funny.

The problem many americans have is holding our own nation to the same criteria and definitions we hold others to.

Ok here we go, the definition of terrorism by OUR OWN STATE DEPT.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/teach/alqaeda/glossary.html

Terrorism is defined by the U.S. Department of Defense as "the unlawful use of -- or threatened use of -- force or violence against individuals or property to coerce or intimidate governments or societies, often to achieve political, religious, or ideological objectives."

We are using unlawful force against Iraq, we can neither claim self-defense nor international agreement via UN sanctioning of the invasion.

That means we are using FORCE and threatened them with force AND we do so to fulfill our POLITICAL goals and we were quite clear we were going to force regime change via violence.

This is not the only time either. We have an illegal and aggressive war we waged against Panama, our support of the contras, our overthrow of the Iranian govt, a US staged coup in Venezuela in 2002, operations like operation phoenix etc. In the latin american region alone we have a long nasty list. The school of americas (now renamed) has trained some of the most notorious terrorists.

Gotta love how we give THIS guy a pass. Luis Posada Carriles (name ring a bell for ya?).

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB153/index.htm

Washington D.C. May 18, 2005 - The National Security Archive today posted additional documents that show that the CIA had concrete advance intelligence, as early as June 1976, on plans by Cuban exile terrorist groups to bomb a Cubana airliner. The Archive also posted another document that shows that the FBI's attache in Caracas had multiple contacts with one of the Venezuelans who placed the bomb on the plane, and provided him with a visa to the U.S. five days before the bombing, despite suspicions that he was engaged in terrorist activities at the direction of Luis Posada Carriles.

Both documents were featured last night on ABC Nightline's program on Luis Posada Carriles, who was detained in Miami yesterday by Homeland Security.

We refuse to extradite him and all we charged him with was entering the country illegally, but then we dropped that charge too!

We protect this terrorist for one reason, he commits terrorism we LIKE and we WANT which probably explains why he spent so many years on the CIA payroll and enjoys such freedom and protection in the US.

I have a very solid and factual basis for why I accuse the US govt of terrorism. We must be held to the SAME criteria and definitions we hold OTHERS to.

Good, since your no longer IN the US, I can safely assume anything you have to say about our laws and our regulations do not apply, I mean after all you do not want to interfere in our free will do you?

Are you under the impression that she somehow has the power to infringe on your free will through talking? Are you really so easily controlled?

I didnt realize that I had power to affect the laws in the US!

Secondly, most of my issues with the US are about FOREIGN POLICY which is EVERYONES business since everyone is affected by that.

Domestic policies I have an opinion on, which of course I am entitled to. Afterall, I spent over 20 years paying taxes there and have to take my share of the responsiblity/blame for the state the US is right now.

BTW, did you know I have to report my income to the US every year *file my taxes* so they can decide if they want me to pay THEM taxes as well? I also still have the right to vote...it seems that US laws are not in agreement with you and instead seem to view american citizens living outside the nation as still PART of the nation.

*also note, I have never advocated a foreign nation enforce their wishes or ideas on US domestic policy. I dont advocate that others do to us what we have done to them.

Are you under the impression that she somehow has the power to infringe on your free will through talking? Are you really so easily controlled?

Not only won't you call her on calling our troops mass murderers and terrorists but you defend her. Par for the course. I suggest you read what was written and COMPREHEND the intent. You are capable of that I assume? Or shall we off on another of your wild games of play the monkey in the tree with words and meanings again?

Iraq was and is a WAR. The only way a war becomes ILLEGAL is when one side beats the other and has a trial afterwards. The Invasion of Iraq was totally legal in all aspects of the US laws, customs and Constitution. It continues also legally under all laws and rules regulations and policies of the US, to include the Constitution.

Please do be specific, provide one shred of legal evidence under US law , the Constitution or our treaties, that make the invasion of Iraq illegal.

When you manage to raise that UN army and conquer the USA then you can make any ridiculous claim you want.

Iraq was and is a WAR. The only way a war becomes ILLEGAL is when one side beats the other and has a trial afterwards. The Invasion of Iraq was totally legal in all aspects of the US laws, customs and Constitution. It continues also legally under all laws and rules regulations and policies of the US, to include the Constitution.

Please do be specific, provide one shred of legal evidence under US law , the Constitution or our treaties, that make the invasion of Iraq illegal.

When you manage to raise that UN army and conquer the USA then you can make any ridiculous claim you want.

There have been several opinions expressed by (among others) UN Sec. Gen. Kofi Annan, the British Attorney General, and (most impressively) the International Commission of International Law Jurists which have stated that the war was did not comply with the UN Charter, and hence was illegal. As the UN Charter is a treaty, we are signatories to the UN Charter, and treaties carry the force of law, this would be the basis for the illegality of the war under the laws of the United States.

I myself have never looked at what the UN Charter says, and I don't really have the inclination to do so, so I will post the secondary materials I found below and anyone who is interested can research further. On the actual issue of illegality, I have no opinion.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article6917.htm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1305709,00.html

http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/issues/iraq/attack/lawindex.htm

http://www.robincmiller.com/ir-legal.htm (presents supporting materials for position that war was illegal and also counter materials to support the opposite proposition.)

http://www.un.org/aboutun/charter/

Edit: I incorrectly state above that a British Attorney General expressed on opinion that the war may be illegal. That is not accurate. Actually, the B.A.G. stated that a reasonable case could be made that U.N.S.C. Res. 1441 and 687 supported military action, but that the safest option would be to obtain a Resolution explicitly authorizing force.

There have been several opinions expressed by (among others) UN Sec. Gen. Kofi Annan, the British Attorney General, and (most impressively) the International Commission of International Law Jurists which have stated that the war was did not comply with the UN Charter, and hence was illegal. As the UN Charter is a treaty, we are signatories to the UN Charter, and treaties carry the force of law, this would be the basis for the illegality of the war under the laws of the United States.

I myself have never looked at what the UN Charter says, and I don't really have the inclination to do so, so I will post the secondary materials I found below and anyone who is interested can research further. On the actual issue of illegality, I have no opinion.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article6917.htm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1305709,00.html

http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/issues/iraq/attack/lawindex.htm

http://www.robincmiller.com/ir-legal.htm (presents supporting materials for position that war was illegal and also counter materials to support the opposite proposition.)

http://www.un.org/aboutun/charter/

Edit: I incorrectly state above that a British Attorney General expressed on opinion that the war may be illegal. That is not accurate. Actually, the B.A.G. stated that a reasonable case could be made that U.N.S.C. Res. 1441 and 687 supported military action, but that the safest option would be to obtain a Resolution explicitly authorizing force.

Do we have to go to jail ?

what's the deal, dillodude? Are you practicing up for open mike night at the local log cabin republican's comedy club?

cheesy one-liners.... that's about all you got anymore.

Why waste a bunch of words when I can communicate with just a few. Seriously-if the war is illegal, what penalty does the US have to pay?

Why waste a bunch of words when I can communicate with just a few. Seriously-if the war is illegal, what penalty does the US have to pay?

ten thousand dollars and a hundred hours of community service.

duh.

The "penalty" we pay is the loss of the moral high ground.

and I understand that you disagree...but, practically, YOUR opinion on whether or not we've abandoned the moral high ground and taken off our white hats is irrelevant. The opinion that matters is the opinion of the rest of the world when, at some point down the line or just around the corner, we ask them to stand with us and help us defeat our enemies. In that regard, we have already "paid the penalty" and we will KEEP paying for it for a generation or more. congratulations.

You get upset by what I say but YOU CANT REALLY deal with the supporting facts I GIVE to make my point. I have a basis for what I say and I give it, you cant seem to refute those facts. I guess thats why you keep trying to get someone with intelligence to do it for you and must be why you keep trying to get the liberals to do it for ya huh?

Our invasion of Panama was an aggressive act of war..that makes us terrorists. We overthrew Arbenz in Guatemala...that makes us terrorists. We supported the contras, that makes us terrorists...and there is sooooooo much more.

We staged a coup against Venezuela in 2002 as well..that makes us terrorists. If another nations govt staged a coup against our govt we wouldnt hesitate to call them terrorists would we? If someone invaded our nation to change our regime, we would view them as terrorists who are interferring in our self-determination rights and would feel PERFECTLY justified in resisting, in fact, those cooperating with the invading govt/nation would be viewed as traitors (in a very legal sense).

We invaded Iraq without ANY justification...it wasnt self defense, we werent facing any imminent threat. How many Iraqi civilians have died due to our invasion? Isnt the body count high enough to call it mass murder?

Not only won't you call her on calling our troops mass murderers and terrorists but you defend her. Par for the course. I suggest you read what was written and COMPREHEND the intent. You are capable of that I assume? Or shall we off on another of your wild games of play the monkey in the tree with words and meanings again?

Hey guns ... when you get to the part where she's full of shit and not worth arguing with you'll feel MUCH better.:D

ten thousand dollars and a hundred hours of community service.

duh.

The "penalty" we pay is the loss of the moral high ground.

and I understand that you disagree...but, practically, YOUR opinion on whether or not we've abandoned the moral high ground and taken off our white hats is irrelevant. The opinion that matters is the opinion of the rest of the world when, at some point down the line or just around the corner, we ask them to stand with us and help us defeat our enemies. In that regard, we have already "paid the penalty" and we will KEEP paying for it for a generation or more. congratulations.

LMAO--When was the last time the world ever thought that the US held the moral high ground ? We are capitalistic, degenerate, fat, lazy, greedy pigs as far as they are concerned. Ask Ruby--she had to get the hell outta here it sucks so much.

Forum List

Back