Vietnam comparison

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ErikViking, Aug 23, 2007.

1. ErikViking

ErikViking VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Now what is he up to?

The president starts to compare the efforts in Iraq with Vietnam? Wasn't that a bit touchy only a short while ago?

Maybe I misunderstood the speech but it seems... strange.

Personally I think it is a really good thing US is doing in Iraq, but leaving can't be compared to Vietnam. Iraq is fallaing apart - Civil war was never a question in Vietnam.

So what is this? Anyone know what he ment?

EDIT: I should add some linking I guess, sorry!

2. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I didn't see the speech, but from what I have read, the Vietnam plug came in two parts. Paraphrasing obviously.

1. The terrorists of today draw strength from and have been emboldened from the US failure to finish the job in Vietnam.

2. The attrocities that occured in SE Asia, such as the Kmher Rouge, would not have occurrred if we hadn't left Vietnam.

I am sure that you can guess the parallels that he would like you to draw today. Just don't question the actually legitimacy of the assertions or draw the parallel that it was a mistake to engage in either war. He doesn't like that one.

I cannot imagine who persuaded him that drawing comparisons between Vietnam and Iraq is a good idea. It seems like an extremely problematic move politically - to me, at least.

EDIT: Never mind, you answered it yourself with a link. Nice quotes by the way.

3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    He's made a mug of himself. That's a really desperate move on his part. I think it's aimed at "I'm out of here in January 2009, until then we're staying the course." He's got nothing so he's playing for time.

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    you guys keep saying Iraq is Vietnam. But rather than learn the lessons from Vietnam, you want to repeat the mistakes. We pulled out and millions died. You want us to do the same now.

5. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    My god, what is actually amazing is that you believe this shit. Are you capable of any critical thought and analysis?

Yes, many of us do compare Iraq to Vietnam. We view the mistake as engaging in the first instance. We don't view the mistake as withdrawing after the deaths of over 50k american soldiers and upwards of 4 million Vietnamese.

I guess I was wrong. There is a crowd out there that will buy this shit.

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Fact is, civil war is EXACTLY what the problem was in Vietnam. One side represented a single, unified Vietnam free of colonial rule while the represented perpetuating it's own version of the French colonial caste system.

7. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I don't want to labour the point but until the invasion and occupation of Iraq there was no civil war. If Bush thinks he can duck the blame for that by dredging up Vietnam and making a mindless comparison with it the he's sorely mistaken.

I'm not disagreeing with your point, which is well made, just going tangentially off it.

8. ErikViking

ErikViking VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Yes. I stand corrected. The war was between countrymen. The thing with Vietnam was that the ambitions were totally clear from all parts.
    In Iraq no one knows for sure who want what.

In my eyes the President should leave the comparison out. (All wars have similarities ofcourse). But the US effort in Iraq is so much more now than fighting a war. I think it would mean much to people, muslims or not, if US followed through in a good manner - leaving a functional nation behind them.

I know people say it is impossible. It can't be done and so on. That hasn't exactly stopped America before.

9. ErikViking

ErikViking VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I think the future will judge the world on those events. But right now the whole concept of who, why and how it got started leads nowhere.

Don't you think that IF America resolves the situation in a good way it would be one of the most effective moves yet in bringing peace to the region? Or is it too naive?

10. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    But it shouldn't be ignored. This is America's greatest foreign policy disaster ever. The Bush Administration should be rightly castigated for it. Bush and Cheney should be regarded by history as complete dolts.

Not naive, if America can resolve this then they will rightly be able to claim a great achievement, despite their having caused it. I don't think it will happen though. But that doesn't mean I don't want it to happen. Like it or not the US will have to factor in Iran (although personally I despise the regime there). As long as they follow the Cheney "bomb Iran" doctrine they haven't got a snowball's chance in Hell of sorting this mess out.