USMB Poll: Are you for or agaainst the Libya assault?

You for or against the Libya assault?

• Total voters
I'm against it because there are no clear objectives or compelling reason to be there in the first place. Our troops are spread very thin as it is & this will only compound the problem...

Are you assuming that ground troops will inevitably be required or is there an escalation I just haven't heard about yet? Or were you just using the word "troops" as a generic for military personnel in general?

Fair enough. If that's the only thing that will convince you I will admit defeat.

I'm sorry but thats 1 man and I don't think he has the authority to speak for all the Libyan people.

Interesting point. Not sure who would have the authority to speak for all the Libyan people. It could be argued that only a democratically elected leader can speak for an entire country, but ask Americans whether Obama or Bush can speak for them and I'd imagine you'll hear plenty of dissent.

Good point.

These Bombings have actually had the opposite affect. The Bombings have only escalated the hostilities. Their Coalition of the Killing are actually making things worse in Libya. It's very sad.

Opinion will likely shift in the coming weeks. The Arab League just announced they are withdrawing their support for this Intervention. They were told it was going to be a "No Fly Zone" but it has become clear that they're bombing hundreds of ground targets. Apparently they're a bit peeved over this. This looks nothing like a "No Fly Zone." They're bombing anything that moves. It's very disturbing.

They probably thought they meant "No Flies Zone"

Everyone that has been to N Africa or the Middle East knows they have way too many flies in that area of the world.

I'm looking at differently from the perspective of a Military member, if I was a fighter pilot and you are asking me to fly over Libyan air space to risk my life and bomb the fucking shit out of them, it is a war to me.

I'm with you Gravity, it's a war. I just heard on MSNBC that in fact one of our jets did go down, both pilots have been recovered. Of course the Pentagon is adamently declaring the jet was not shot down.. it was mechanical failure.. Yeah right. It is a war. an unconstitutional war because obie wan did not go to the congress.

Its not rocket science we bombed Ghaddafis house and we are supporting the rebels to over throw him, we are in a war.:cool:

Yea how bout that "No Fly Zone?" I didn't know Libya had flying buildings,cars,and tanks. This isn't a "No Fly Zone." It's a massacre.

I'm looking at differently from the perspective of a Military member, if I was a fighter pilot and you are asking me to fly over Libyan air space to risk my life and bomb the fucking shit out of them, it is a war to me.

I'm with you Gravity, it's a war. I just heard on MSNBC that in fact one of our jets did go down, both pilots have been recovered. Of course the Pentagon is adamently declaring the jet was not shot down.. it was mechanical failure.. Yeah right. It is a war. an unconstitutional war because obie wan did not go to the congress.

Its not rocket science we bombed Ghaddafis house and we are supporting the rebels to over throw him, we are in a war.:cool:

We did NOT 'bomb Gaddafi's house', we bombed a particular building (a communications hub) in his compound. Not the same thing at all. Facts are your friends.

Yea how bout that "No Fly Zone?" I didn't know Libya had flying buildings,cars,and tanks. This isn't a "No Fly Zone." It's a massacre.

I'm curious as to why bombing the fuck out of Ghaddafis house was necessary to establish a no fly zone? did Ghaddafi keep jets and anti aircraft missiles in his living room?

It is not a massacre, and you apparently know jack shit about implementing a 'no fly zone'. You should educate yourself on the facts before you mouth off because you look ridiculous.

We did NOT 'bomb Gaddafi's house', we bombed a particular building (a communications hub) in his compound. Not the same thing at all. Facts are your friends.

Ghaddafi has several houses, the place they bombed did have a home where Ghaddafi occasionally stayed with his family, Ghaddafi never stays in 1 place too long similar to Saddam.

They Bombed Ghaddafi. See The Latest Details on The Front in Libya! | Trifter

I'm curious as to why bombing the fuck out of Ghaddafis house was necessary to establish a no fly zone? did Ghaddafi keep jets and anti aircraft missiles in his living room?

We.

Did.

Not.

Bomb.

His.

House.

We bombed a communications hub in his compound. That is not the same thing.

I'm opposed. We don't have enough money for the two wars we're currently engaged in, much less another one. As to Gaddafi killing innocent people, it's terrible. However, I think there were other ways we could've put a stop to it, other than starting another war.

Ghaddafi has several houses, the place they bombed did have a home where Ghaddafi occasionally stayed with his family, Ghaddafi never stays in 1 place too long similar to Saddam.

Forgive me, but I prefer hard facts to bullshit. I'm not interested in what any media say, until I can confirm it as factually accurate. The media can't tell the difference between a military target and a house... that's their problem.

Forgive me, but I prefer hard facts to bullshit. I'm not interested in what any media say, until I can confirm it as factually accurate. The media can't tell the difference between a military target and a house... that's their problem.

I don't know all the links I read says that compound had a place where Ghaddafi would occassionally stay with his family, could be wrong but thats what I've read.

Helping protect civilians in a civil war is a good thing.
Taking aides is not.

I believe that the President has the power to take unilateral military action such as this - I often argue that the powers of the CinC are not directly limited by the US constitution.

HOWEVER.... The Obama disagrees, and argues that there is NO "power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation."

You know... Like He did in Libya.

Obama on presidential war-making powers - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

How do you people take this guy seriously?

I'm opposed. We don't have enough money for the two wars we're currently engaged in, much less another one. As to Gaddafi killing innocent people, it's terrible. However, I think there were other ways we could've put a stop to it, other than starting another war.

Irrespective of whether or not we choose to use the word 'war', I'd be interested to hear you expand on that last thought.

Gaddafi's forces were making significant and relentless progress towards Benghazi. Once in control of Benghazi, he had gone on record as saying there would be no place to hide and no mercy for those that had opposed him.

Given that scenario, what means other than military could have been used to "put a stop to it" (i.e. get him to stand his forces down)? Or are you saying that the world should have let him take Benghazi and then negotiate with him after the fact, which in the short term would have probably saved the lives of some people (mainly his soldiers, I would imagine), but arguably cost the lives of many of those who opposed him.

Wer not just creating a no fly zone though, we bombed Ghaddafis house and we are basically helping the rebels over throw him.

Back in '86, you mean? Because we haven't 'bombed Gaddafi's house' this time around.

iafrica.com | news | world news | Gaddafi's house bombed

Did you actually read the report.

An office complex in the compound He lives in was bombed. Hardly qualifies as his house.

I'm against it because there are no clear objectives or compelling reason to be there in the first place. Our troops are spread very thin as it is & this will only compound the problem...

How will this compound the problem. Were not sending any Troops.

The US air force and navy are not spread to thin, For the most part they are sitting around waiting for something to do.

Helping protect civilians in a civil war is a good thing.
Taking aides is not.

I believe that the President has the power to take unilateral military action such as this - I often argue that the powers of the CinC are not directly limited by the US constitution.

HOWEVER.... The Obama disagrees, and argues that there is NO "power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation."

You know... Like He did in Libya.

Obama on presidential war-making powers - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

How do you people take this guy seriously?

There is no doubt this action by Obama exposes him as a massive Hippocrate. While I personally think as president he has the authority to act as he has. He has said more than once in the past, when referring to Bush, that no such Authority exists.

Forum List

Back