Using the "funny" option to mock and ridicule.

Funny is funny. Period.
Informative means "I didn't know that but it's informative".
Agree means I agree.
Thank you is thanks for saying what I couldn't say better or didn't think of or just a flat out THANK YOU for saying what you said, regardless.
Agree and funny is dumb. But now we have a dumb. So....either the dumb pusher is dumb or the person he dumbed is dumb.

Oy.

This is going to be confusing.

And for the record, I have funnied someone being serious because I find her repugnant and if it ticked her off..I did it more. Beats a neg that lowered their whateveritwas when we had it.

Dumb is only available in the Flame Zone.

Now, I realize you folks did away with the neg rep for a reason, but there has been an increased usage of the "funny" option by posters who do so solely for the purpose to mock and ridicule serious postings. Now, I realize this is allowed by site policy throughout the forum since the one person who follows me around doing so is a mod. I don't question this policy and am fine with it.

This place has a "clean debate" zone, however, and this practice also occurs in the clean debate -- usually by those with extremely partisan views. It doesn't seem to me that such mockery and derision should be part of this "clean debate" since it is an obvious provocation and amounts to trolling.

I think you folks should reconsider its use in a forum devoted to clean debate.

It amazes me that people would come on to a forum designed for debate, and then simply use the funny button and not actually reply to a post. If they're so sure it's "funny" then they should easily be able to say why and back this up in an intelligent way.

When I see a crazy person talking to invisible people on the side of the road, I may laugh, but I'm not going to stop and debate him.

Same principle holds true here.

A brief look at the feedback indicates that the liberal members of the forum support the use of the funny button. Not surprising from the clown faces is it? Personally I like to see feedback from left wing posters about my right wing posts even if it's a smiley face. It means they are paying attention.

There are a dozen types of "funny".. Can't have a button for all of them.
Maybe just a "smart funny" and a "stupid funny" would cover most types of funny..
Except that "stupid funny" might be misinterpretated by the Millennials around here..

I vote a gentle thumbs down on that. That would be the same thing as the 'disagree' button and would be used just as maliciously by the numbnut and a-hole crowd. "Funny" is much more innocuous. When I check my notifications, I might check to see what somebody I respect thought funny and appreciate that they took time to acknowledge it. And they acknowledge posts intended to be funny.

Those that are just being jerks and numbnuts I don't even bother to look. I know who they are and chalk those 'funny' posts up to who they are. But Whitehall is right. It does acknowledge that they are reading the posts. :)

There are a dozen types of "funny".. Can't have a button for all of them.
Maybe just a "smart funny" and a "stupid funny" would cover most types of funny..
Except that "stupid funny" might be misinterpretated by the Millennials around here..

I vote a gentle thumbs down on that. That would be the same thing as the 'disagree' button and would be used just as maliciously by the numbnut and a-hole crowd. "Funny" is much more innocuous. When I check my notifications, I might check to see what somebody I respect thought funny and appreciate that they took time to acknowledge it. And they acknowledge posts intended to be funny.

Those that are just being jerks and numbnuts I don't even bother to look. I know who they are and chalk those 'funny' posts up to who they are. But Whitehall is right. It does acknowledge that they are reading the posts. :)

AND --- they are boosting your ratings when they do that "cute" thing. I do it also. But it's reserved for only the BEST "stupid funny" stuff that I run across. :badgrin:

Funny is funny. Period.
Agree means I agree.
Thank you is thanks for saying what I couldn't say better or didn't think of or just a flat out THANK YOU for saying what you said, regardless.
Agree and funny is dumb. But now we have a dumb. So....either the dumb pusher is dumb or the person he dumbed is dumb.

Oy.

And for the record, I have funnied someone being serious because I find her repugnant and if it ticked her off..I did it more. Beats a neg that lowered their whateveritwas when we had it.

Does it still count as a Positive Rating? Cuz if not, then we might as well have Neg Rep and COMMENTS again!

Funny is funny. Period.
Agree means I agree.

Oy.

Does it still count as a Positive Rating? Cuz if not, then we might as well have Neg Rep and COMMENTS again!

It's in red, I know that much. I got one already. :lol:

Funny is funny. Period.
Agree means I agree.

Oy.

It appears to be excluded from the total - neither positive nor negative. A total Neuter, which is so fitting for USMB 2016.

BACK IN THE DAY, we were real men and real women who could handle Neg Rep and COMMENTS.

Funny is funny. Period.
Agree means I agree.

Oy.

It appears to be excluded from the total - neither positive nor negative. A total Neuter, which is so fitting for USMB 2016.

BACK IN THE DAY, we were real men and real women who could handle Neg Rep and COMMENTS.

Meh, I don't really care about reps and such things. Doesn't make a difference to me, TBH.

A brief look at the feedback indicates that the liberal members of the forum support the use of the funny button. Not surprising from the clown faces is it? Personally I like to see feedback from left wing posters about my right wing posts even if it's a smiley face. It means they are paying attention.

Well, the regressive leftists, anyway.

There aren't too many liberals on this board.

My original comments pertained to THE CLEAN DEBATE forum, only, however -- a point that seems lost to just about all concerned.

Forum List

Back