US Teachers Spend $459 of Their Own Money Each Year on Classroom Supplies

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
Essentially subsidizing underfunded schools,teachers in the US spend an average of $459 on classroom supplies for which they are not reimbursed.

Subsidizing Underfunded Schools, US Teachers Spend $459 of Their Own Money Each Year on Classroom Supplies

That being said, they have it relatively better than a lot of people in terms of benefits
and other public union advantages.

174289-21898.png

If the teachers don't like it get a different job;Teachers are cry baby losers.

So the two comments after your OP were "BS" and "teachers are crybaby losers". Ok. I my county there are almost 300 teacher openings. In some parts of the US there are even more. I just read an article about a woman teaching HS math and science on an "emergency certificate" for $15 an hour. She doesn't care what is taught and learned. She just wants to "love the kids".

I mean are we going to throw such a hissy fit for the ages about "government schools" that we do this? Well I guess we are.

My fellow conservatives can be disgusting sometimes, and also, terribly insulated.

Essentially subsidizing underfunded schools,teachers in the US spend an average of $459 on classroom supplies for which they are not reimbursed.

Subsidizing Underfunded Schools, US Teachers Spend $459 of Their Own Money Each Year on Classroom Supplies

That being said, they have it relatively better than a lot of people in terms of benefits
and other public union advantages.

174289-21898.png

By the way I'm not in my teacher's union as a public school teacher, and our benefits have not been better than my husband's in the private sector for YEARS. And years.

I start to get a little bit encouraged, seeing a few new teachers coming into the profession, and then I come here. I would ask what these wunderkinds have planned for all the kids without teachers, but they don't care.

While I understand the problem of teachers spending money on supplies, I spent almost $4000 on supplies for my job last year. Just sayin.

While I understand the problem of teachers spending money on supplies, I spent almost $4000 on supplies for my job last year. Just sayin.

Was that for more training so you can get promoted or what? What is the nature of your job if you don't mind me asking?

We never get anything out of spending that money on our own supplies yearly for ourselves, except poorer. I mean in terms of our OWN gain.

America doesn't value education. Large swaths of this country think that teachers are evil communists.

So the two comments after your OP were "BS" and "teachers are crybaby losers". Ok. I my county there are almost 300 teacher openings. In some parts of the US there are even more. I just read an article about a woman teaching HS math and science on an "emergency certificate" for $15 an hour. She doesn't care what is taught and learned. She just wants to "love the kids".

I mean are we going to throw such a hissy fit for the ages about "government schools" that we do this? Well I guess we are.

My fellow conservatives can be disgusting sometimes, and also, terribly insulated.
For the record my company has been dropping pallets of school supplies all over the city. That is in addition to what parents are told to purchase for their kids which in fact is an oversupply in itself as there is no way any one child could use what is purchased by themselves.

Was that for more training so you can get promoted or what? What is the nature of your job if you don't mind me asking?

We never get anything out of spending that money on our own supplies yearly for ourselves, except poorer. I mean in terms of our OWN gain.
Sorry, I meant that somewhat tongue in cheek. I have some very close friends who are teachers and my propensity for giving them a good natured ribbing slipped out.

For the record my company has been dropping pallets of school supplies all over the city. That is in addition to what parents are told to purchase for their kids which in fact is an oversupply in itself as there is no way any one child could use what is purchased by themselves.

Show me a child's school supply and explain why they wouldn't use it.

or are you just making stuff up.

America doesn't value education. Large swaths of this country think that teachers are evil communists.

It's the most ridiculous thing conservatives believe--I say this as a conservative. Sure, yeah. That 2nd grade teacher sitting down the pew from you in Anytown, Nebraska--population 3,000--she is definitely an evil communist shill just in it to indoctrinate all the kiddos to Extreme Leftism.

All the cops go into it to beat minorities too. Might as well believe that wholesale.

Sorry, I meant that somewhat tongue in cheek. I have some very close friends who are teachers and my propensity for giving them a good natured ribbing slipped out.

Except that many schools are now filled with people off the street no where near teachers. Because the profession is completely demoralized. Rather like law enforcement.

But whatever, funny joke.

Show me a child's school supply and explain why they wouldn't use it.

or are you just making stuff up.
I had kids in school so I know first hand. They wouldn't use it all because it would be impossible the bounty parents are asked to provide and just hand over to the teachers. Yeah ya dont buy enough and replace as needed nooooo everything must be delivered into the hand of the teacher.

In a just system, these should at least be tax write offs .

In a nation with a just and fair media, the blistering teacher shortage would at least be a story.

Instead we had RUSSIA!! for two years, which is now flushed down the memory hole. Meanwhile most people don't even know that the person in your child's classroom might not even have a college degree, let alone be an actual trained, certified teacher.

Broad brush statement.

Here's one for a fellow conservative:

Average base public school pay: $49 ish
Average base private school pay: $36 ish

But somehow, yeah magically, all the BEST teachers are in the private schools.

Sure they are, yep. Nevermind those free market principles....

ETA: Private School Teacher Pay Scale

There is a real teacher shortage here as well.
A lady that use to work here as a CSR, quit saying she got on at one of the Junior High schools... I figured an administrative office worker or something.
No. Teaching Social Studies. She has some teaching certificate from years ago, apparently 15 years ago she taught some night classes for a Community College.
She has exactly zero experience and no degree....

Forum List

Back