US Navy will scrap nuclear submarine due to budget cuts under Obama admin

Our Military is shrinking. It is already smaller than when I retired in 93. How small will it be when they are done?

There are Boy Scout troops that will be bigger, and maybe better equipped......

Yes, because spending nearly $1 trillion per year on defense and homeland security isn't nearly enough.

Our Military is shrinking. It is already smaller than when I retired in 93. How small will it be when they are done?

There are Boy Scout troops that will be bigger, and maybe better equipped......

Yes, because spending nearly $1 trillion per year on defense and homeland security isn't nearly enough.

Ollie seems to be drinking from the same fountain that Mudwhistle is drinking from; too bad because he was and still is one of the better posters here.

The truth is that we don't need the 1945 military; we have nuke power on ships now. One of the most impressive sites you'll ever see is an Iowa Class battleship. The fact is that they cost too much to operate. Cruisers and even destroyers that are far more nimble, can operate in shallower depths, and have a smaller company of sailors can pack almost as deadly a punch and do many more types of missions.

That is just the reality of the situation.

So losing this one submarine leaves us with what...40 according to Wikipedia. Not 40 in total...40 of this one class.. The LA Class is a fast attack sub meaning it's designed mission was to protect the water; not launch nukes. We have an Ohio class for that...and we have 18 of them. This is on top of the Seawolf class which is the heir to the LA class (3 of them). Now we're building something called the "Virginia Class" which won't even have a periscope according to one article I read.

Anyway, what we lost was one sub, 40 are left to patrol the thousands of miles of ocean that protect our shores--what attack subs do.

One sub...no great loss.

In regards to the USS Miami...........

The life cycle of our submarines is between 30 to 40 years depending who's article your reading. So the Miami was approaching the final decade of service. While it was scheduled for a 20 month upgrade before the fire, no one anticipated the fire that would cause a lot more money to be spent in order to get it ready for service.

So, I believe the Navy decided to retire it early due to the cost of getting the Miami back in service. Did their budget cuts play a role in that decision?

ABSOLUTELY...............

However, the real question at hand on THIS PARTICULAR SHIP IS would the same decision have been made without the cuts?

I believe that it could have been scrapped even without the cuts given the cost.

So, the issue on the Miami BY ITSELF, is INANE TO ME.

On the other issues..................via another post.

Other issues. The Sequester is having an impact on the military. They are now considering Decommissioning 2 or 3 Carriers, which are a VERY VALUABLE ASSET TO THE NAVY. They are also considering upwards of 50,000 more personnel as a result. Bases are shutting down commissaries and recreation facilities one day a week in areas. Stuff used by Active Duty Personnel and their families.

Sequester was Obama's plan to stop the shut down. Stated he'd agree to cuts at a later date TO AVOID SEQUESTRATION. He also Stated that HE WOULDN'T ASK FOR MORE TAXES IN RETURN as well in order to appease the GOP into giving HIM WHAT HE WANTED. And so they agreed, and

OBAMA LIED.........

Nothing new here. He's Lied so much that if he was Pinocchio his nose would have already wrapped itself around the world a couple of times. But hey, the Libs and their HORDE of boot lickers don't give a damn about that as they agree with him and

LOVE CUTTING THE MILITARY ANYWAY

Every time you hear them on this issue it is TOO BIG, and you hear the catch phrases as the MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX. Call every one War Mongers, and then say

THEY LOVE THE MILITARY

Then War comes and they say LOOK WHAT THE GOP DID. They sent them in without proper equipment and no armor.

Well I might take them serious if they weren't yelling for the cuts under Clinton. They cheered Clinton for cuts in the military, and then yell at Bush for not having more.

What a bunch of Hypocritical Losers they are? I have GIVE THEM NO CREDIBILITY as their opinions SWAY WITH THE POLITICAL WIND, and changes on a dime given who's in office.

Finally, where is the UTTER OUTRAGE from the left as Commissaries get shut down once a week and military and support get a day off without pay.

Oh, it's the GOP's fault. They refuse to compromise with Obama.

What a bunch of brain dead TOOLS THEY ARE.

Defense.gov Special Report: Sequestration

No need to cut and paste the threads there. It's the DOD and under direct control of the POTUS. Plenty of articles showing the effects of Sequester to the military.

White House Admits (Third Time) President Obama Fibbed On Sequester - Forbes

No need to paste that either.

Riddle me this. On Sequester.

Does Obama look in the mirror and argue with himself every day?

On sequester, I can only jest that he looks in the mirror and argues with himself..........

No Obama, you did it, no you did it, no you did it.....................

And the Left loves him for it.

M I C K E Y M O U S E. Sing along people..

Commissaries.com - Norfolk NAVSTA Commissary

Norfolk NAVSTA Store Information
Highlights
COME SHOP YOUR NORFOLK COMMISSARY AND POCKET THE SAVINGS !!

The Defense Commissary Agency is cancelling its September case lot sale because of budgetary reductions mandated under sequestration.

CUSTOMER ALERT
Our normal days of operation will change beginning July 8 due to the furlough of NORFOLK Commissary employees. At that time, and for as long as furloughs are in effect, our store will be closed on (Mondays). Please keep in mind, this schedule is subject to change and new information will be posted as we receive it. Thanks for your continued patronage and support.

FURLOUGH OPERATING HOURS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

MONDAY FURLOUGH DAY CLOSED

TUESDAY 0900-1700
WEDNESDAY 0900-1700
THURSDAY 0900-2000
FRIDAY 0900-1700
SATURDAY 0900-1700
SUNDAY 0900-1700

Not to mention they are cutting eligibility for Tricare Prime from any service member or retiree who lives more than 40 miles from a Military clinic or hospital. So those who need the best coverage will be forced to use the lower grade coverage, which of course will cost the individual more....Contrary to popular belief, military retirees do not all live around Military bases.......

Not to mention they are cutting eligibility for Tricare Prime from any service member or retiree who lives more than 40 miles from a Military clinic or hospital. So those who need the best coverage will be forced to use the lower grade coverage, which of course will cost the individual more....Contrary to popular belief, military retirees do not all live around Military bases.......

Another good point. We could post the Facts and put up a thousand articles on how the Sequester is directly affecting the military and the Tools on the left would just simply Tap Dance around it as always, and blame others for their

CLUSTER FUCKS

Nothing new here. They've always been that way. Personally their views and False praises for the military make me wanna Puke, but that's just me on that issue.

I've always loved the saying, "Don't Piss down my back and tell me it's Raining."

In my opinion, it fits well here.

At least in the 90's, where we had ACTUAL SHUT DOWNS, Clinton had the Decency to agree to pass emergency measures to prevent this type of chit from happening, but ALAS under Obama as the CNC it hasn't happened.

It's a MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY approach from an Arrogant POS, and our military is paying for it.

Do you have any extra barf bags? I feel the need to PUKE MY GUTS OUT.

Thanks for proving my point Lib.

aka It's Boner's fault. I spelled it that way for a reason. I think he should step down and be replaced by someone with a set. But that's just me.

Secondly, the last time I looked Bone head wasn't the CNC of the U.S.
Thirdly, Sequester was Obama's plan.

Now back to the real issue. Will you stand by our forces as basic services are FURLOUGHED by the IDIOT IN CHIEF............................

Get out your Obama prayer rug while your at it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4RjJKxsamQ]Scorpions - Wind Of Change - YouTube[/ame]

A time period with a REAL POTUS...................

Not the current time of Leadership by EXCUSES............

The real Wind of Change occurs when America opens it's eyes and see the Left for the IDIOTS AND LIARS THEY ARE.

It has happened before and will happen again. Historic firing of Dems. The question now is HOW TO STOP their BS, as they do more damage to our country.

Trying to turn America into California, as all the Business owners FLEE FOR THEIR POCKET BOOKS.

I'm still waiting to hear about the cuts that Congress took in their budgets........

Or the presidential budget cuts...............

Anything? One less vacation? One day off without pay? Anything? For any of them?

I'm still waiting to hear about the cuts that Congress took in their budgets........

Or the presidential budget cuts...............

Anything? One less vacation? One day off without pay? Anything? For any of them?

Brings to mind something.

The government orders you to eat a certain type of sandwich.
They lace it with false flavors and say it's good for you.
They refuse to eat it themselves, but say they are doing it for your own good.

But in the end it's still a >kjdf d sandwich.

Fitting as they cut those who defend our country, while falsely saying they are supporting them.

As I've already said, I need extra bags.

Forum List

Back