US Navy will scrap nuclear submarine due to budget cuts under Obama admin

I'm pretty hard core "rightwing" on nat'l defense and the military. Since it's my career and all I have a personal bias.

However the military can use a trim. The money that's wasted, thrown away in some cases is mind numbing. There needs to be better accountability at the top. For instance, just on the Army UCP camo pattern...

It's a disaster. It doesn't camoflage you for shit. So they spent billions more to study and design a new pattern, and they may have to shitcan it anyway.

We could use a more efficient force, reduce active duty while enhancing our Nat'l Guard. Guard soldiers can be mobilized just as fast as active duty can. They're just as competent, just as well equiped, and actually have real world skills they bring into use. We don't need bases all over europe, and we need NONE in africa. Let the chinese colonize them. Then they can waste their time and resources maintaining security. We can't afford to secure the world from itself.

Across the board cuts my ass.......The Military has taken the brunt of any cuts........And is still looking at taking more........

The thing that pisses me off the most, is how they're cutting personel arbitrarily. there are programs and other wastes that need to be addressed.

Furthermore I haven't heard about any welfare recipients being "furloughed" out of any "wages".

U.S. Sens. Susan Collins and Angus King of Maine and Jeanne Shaheen and Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire issued a statement blaming the decision to scrap the submarine on the automatic budget cuts known as sequestration.

"We are disappointed by the Navy's decision to discontinue repairs to the USS Miami. Inactivating the Miami will mean a loss to our nuclear submarine fleet — yet another unfortunate consequence of the across-the-board cuts known as sequestration. We will continue to work together to find a responsible budget solution that replaces sequestration," they said.

U.S. Rep. Chellie Pingree, whose Maine district includes the shipyard, blamed the submarine's loss on Congress' inability to come up with a budget.

"It's outrageous that the yard won't get the chance to put the Miami back in service because of sequestration," she said.

But the deficit is falling like a rock.....

10 bucks says it will cost more to decommision the ship, than to repair it.

Across the board cuts my ass.......The Military has taken the brunt of any cuts........And is still looking at taking more........

Why do we need this huge military?

Geography and a mess of nukes almost completely insures that there will not be any formidable threat to the homeland anytime soon.

Geography and a mess of nukes almost completely insures that there will not be any formidable threat to the homeland anytime soon.
:stupid:

Sort of...

We could keep the same size force, and still trim the budget by eliminating waste and posts in places that serve no national interest.

Nuclear weapons of course keep invaders out for now, but we still need to R&D anti-missle technology.

One thing we could use a whole lot less of are people on food stamps. The moonbats won't even discuss that option though, they need their professional voters.

Wait, they are actually cutting the budget? Or are they just not increasing spending as much?

Programs for the poor have been cut.

Then why aren't they in the streets?

I know for damn sure my check was cut HARD last week, I just trimmed some luxury spending.

Still saw the EBT crowd riding scooters through HEB loaded down with Doritoes and soda.

OH that's right, spending increases were reduced, not benefits.

So the furlough wasn't needed? They just did that to piss of military employees?

Our Armed Forces have gone the way of the corporate world, better technology and better automation means channeling funds towards that direction and downsizing outdated approaches. The US is still outspending the next five largest military spenders it's just looking at the future needs.

Last edited:

:stupid:

Sort of...

We could keep the same size force, and still trim the budget by eliminating waste and posts in places that serve no national interest.

Nuclear weapons of course keep invaders out for now, but we still need to R&D anti-missle technology.

One thing we could use a whole lot less of are people on food stamps. The moonbats won't even discuss that option though, they need their professional voters.

I think we are mostly in agreement on both counts.

It's the approach that's the tricky part.

:eusa_shifty:

Last edited:
Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld answers questions about things that went wrong in Iraq

A National Guard scout from Tennessee asked why there was still an equipment shortage that forced units to scrounge for "hillbilly armor": "pieces of rusted scrap metal and compromised ballistic glass that's already been shot up, dropped, busted." When the cheering died down, Mr. Rumsfeld said that, really, there was plenty of armor and in any case, "all the armor in the world" might not save you from a roadside bomb.

A spokesman for the questioner's unit told reporters that 95 percent of its 300 trucks were not sufficiently armored.

---------------------------------------------

I was in the Service from 75 to 79 and the equipment was old then. The barracks I stayed at housed Jews in WWII and there was slime running down the outside of the building from the showers. And I was part of a unit nuclear capable.

You are aware of course that before Iraq we did NOT armor our trucks? Not a single truck was armored or had ballistic glass. What was supposed to happen was as needed a truck would be reinforced with sandbags as in Vietnam. Further most Hummers were utility vehicles with NO armor and no ballistic glass, In fact their side doors were plastic glass and rubber doors.

Every soldier and marine had a flak jacket which was standard issue almost no one had bullet resistant body armor.

Rumsfeld was right, you go to war with the Army you have. As things change you adapt and over come. It takes time to up armor hundreds of thousands of trucks and Hummers. Ohh by the way? The up armor ruined the vehicles. It made them to heavy and they wore out much faster then designed too.

As for ballistic armor for troops no one had that prior to Iraq. It was not contemplated at all. So a military system where it takes YEARS of research and study to field new appropriately tested gear scrambled around and got what it could with out testing, which cost us big bucks cause some of the gear turned out was useless for the mission. But again even assuming one has the right gear to go from zero to HUNDREDS of thousands of an item takes time money and research.

I know the press chose to IGNORE these facts but I suspect you have been informed before of the realities.

Believe me I understand. Republicans always care more about "money" than Americans, whether soldiers or civilians. It's who they are. And what was the mission in Iraq? Get those oil wells. And it didn't work out. They never asked us there. Bush told us he was disappointed there were no (slam dunk) WMD's.
And now we have tens of thousands of Americans maimed for life with Republicans coming up with new ways to figure out how we can avoid paying for the injuries.

And it makes me feel a lot better knowing Rumsfeld was right.
No one is paying any attention to you. You should stop posting.

After a disgruntled dock worker set a fire aboard a US nuclear submarine, the Navy was going to repair it and send it back out to sea.

But with budget cuts under the Obama administration, they have changed their minds, and will scrap it.

Elections have consequences. A weakened military is one of them.

-----------------------------------------------

Navy drops plans to repair USS Miami sub

David Sharp, Associated Press
10 hours ago
Aug. 7, 2013

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) -- The Navy has decided to scrap the USS Miami instead of repairing the nuclear-powered submarine because of budget cuts accompanied by growing costs of repairing damage from a fire set by a civilian worker at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, officials said Tuesday.

Rear Adm. Rick Breckenridge, director of undersea warfare, said repairing the Groton, Conn.-based sub would have meant canceling work on dozens of other ships because of new budget constraints. He said that would've hurt the Navy's overall readiness.

"The Navy and the nation simply cannot afford to weaken other fleet readiness in the way that would be required to afford repairs to Miami," Breckenridge said in a statement.

Readiness for what?
What do you mean?.
Here's the deal. Human beings by nature an aggressive species. It is one of the few species that will victimize the weak. Therefore, to achieve peace, it must be done at the barrel of a gun. Like it or not, security is maintained because any potential attacker faces certain destruction should it decide to become an aggressor.
The surest way to attract an aggressor is to show weakness.
That is the purpose of "readiness".
You asked. THAT is the ONLY answer.

Rumsfeld was right, you go to war with the Army you have.

When you're attacked, yes. When it's a war of choice, that's a different story.

Wrong, you have no choice but to go to war with what you have on the date you start the war.

So perhaps you shouldn't start the war.

Prior to Iraq and Afghanistan there was no need to armor trucks and Hummers. No need for fatalistic armor suits for the troops.

And no need to invade Iraq

When you're attacked, yes. When it's a war of choice, that's a different story.

Wrong, you have no choice but to go to war with what you have on the date you start the war.

So perhaps you shouldn't start the war.

Prior to Iraq and Afghanistan there was no need to armor trucks and Hummers. No need for fatalistic armor suits for the troops.

And no need to invade Iraq

I would agree that there was no need to occupy Iraq.......

U.S. Sens. Susan Collins and Angus King of Maine and Jeanne Shaheen and Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire issued a statement blaming the decision to scrap the submarine on the automatic budget cuts known as sequestration.

"We are disappointed by the Navy's decision to discontinue repairs to the USS Miami. Inactivating the Miami will mean a loss to our nuclear submarine fleet — yet another unfortunate consequence of the across-the-board cuts known as sequestration. We will continue to work together to find a responsible budget solution that replaces sequestration," they said.

U.S. Rep. Chellie Pingree, whose Maine district includes the shipyard, blamed the submarine's loss on Congress' inability to come up with a budget.

"It's outrageous that the yard won't get the chance to put the Miami back in service because of sequestration," she said.

But the deficit is falling like a rock.....

10 bucks says it will cost more to decommision the ship, than to repair it.

It will need to be decommissioned soon enough...note that USS Miami is 26 years old! The Los Angeles-class submarines are OLD boats.

After a disgruntled dock worker set a fire aboard a US nuclear submarine, the Navy was going to repair it and send it back out to sea.

But with budget cuts under the Obama administration, they have changed their minds, and will scrap it.

Elections have consequences. A weakened military is one of them.

-----------------------------------------------

David Sharp, Associated Press
10 hours ago
Aug. 7, 2013

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) -- The Navy has decided to scrap the USS Miami instead of repairing the nuclear-powered submarine because of budget cuts accompanied by growing costs of repairing damage from a fire set by a civilian worker at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, officials said Tuesday.

Rear Adm. Rick Breckenridge, director of undersea warfare, said repairing the Groton, Conn.-based sub would have meant canceling work on dozens of other ships because of new budget constraints. He said that would've hurt the Navy's overall readiness.

"The Navy and the nation simply cannot afford to weaken other fleet readiness in the way that would be required to afford repairs to Miami," Breckenridge said in a statement.

Readiness for what?
What do you mean?.
Here's the deal. Human beings by nature an aggressive species. It is one of the few species that will victimize the weak. Therefore, to achieve peace, it must be done at the barrel of a gun. Like it or not, security is maintained because any potential attacker faces certain destruction should it decide to become an aggressor.
The surest way to attract an aggressor is to show weakness.
That is the purpose of "readiness".
You asked. THAT is the ONLY answer.

If you listen real close, you can hear Saddam Hussein talking....

Forum List

Back