US district Judge rules ban on guns for felon is unconstitutional

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012

In a ruling that seems fated to find its way before the U.S. Supreme Court, a judge in Illinois has recently found that the gun rights of a felon convicted of multiple armed robberies are protected by the Second Amendment.
The finding from U.S. District Judge Robert Gettleman was issued on Nov. 2 and stems from a case involving Illinois resident Glen Price. Price, 37, allegedly brandished a gun and robbed someone on a train in September 2021. Police said he stole a cellphone and a train fare card too. When police arrested him, they found a 9 mm gun in his possession, cocaine, ammunition and a stolen credit card.

Price was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm since he already had a criminal record featuring no less than three felony convictions for armed robbery and one conviction for aggravated battery of a police officer.
Until Gettleman’s ruling on Nov. 2, Price was facing 15 years in prison for his latest offense — the mandatory minimum sentence when convicted. But Gettleman, appointed by former President Bill Clinton, relied on a recent ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc. v. Bruen that took him in this controversial direction.

While I am glad this man won, as he should have, searching night and day for precedent is BS. The Constitution says what it says. Why do these judges look to other rulings instead of the document itself? Does the constitution say "unless a judge says different?"

Then there is this : “The government has not demonstrated why the modern ubiquity of gun violence, and the heightened lethality of today’s firearm technology compared to the Founding, justify a different result.
Thats just fucking scary. So if the government could demonstrate why all old people should die, that would be ok with him?
ITS ABOUT THE CONSTITUTION. Not what the tyrannical govt says, or what you THINK.

In a ruling that seems fated to find its way before the U.S. Supreme Court, a judge in Illinois has recently found that the gun rights of a felon convicted of multiple armed robberies are protected by the Second Amendment.
The finding from U.S. District Judge Robert Gettleman was issued on Nov. 2 and stems from a case involving Illinois resident Glen Price. Price, 37, allegedly brandished a gun and robbed someone on a train in September 2021. Police said he stole a cellphone and a train fare card too. When police arrested him, they found a 9 mm gun in his possession, cocaine, ammunition and a stolen credit card.

Price was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm since he already had a criminal record featuring no less than three felony convictions for armed robbery and one conviction for aggravated battery of a police officer.
Until Gettleman’s ruling on Nov. 2, Price was facing 15 years in prison for his latest offense — the mandatory minimum sentence when convicted. But Gettleman, appointed by former President Bill Clinton, relied on a recent ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc. v. Bruen that took him in this controversial direction.

While I am glad this man won, as he should have, searching night and day for precedent is BS. The Constitution says what it says. Why do these judges look to other rulings instead of the document itself? Does the constitution say "unless a judge says different?"

Then there is this : “The government has not demonstrated why the modern ubiquity of gun violence, and the heightened lethality of today’s firearm technology compared to the Founding, justify a different result.
Thats just fucking scary. So if the government could demonstrate why all old people should die, that would be ok with him?
ITS ABOUT THE CONSTITUTION. Not what the tyrannical govt says, or what you THINK.

The Judge is a fucking moron. He was convicted of a crime with his Constitutional rights preserved, unless it was Trump. Loosing his Constitutional right to a gun was part of the punishment. The Judge is an ideologue

Preventing felons from owning firearms is preventative medication IMO

It's about how that judge thinks. Constitutional literalists might ask where does it say a felon can't be denied access to firearms he previously used in the commission of a crime?

Rulings like that do nothing but highlight the absurdity of gun rights rulings since Heller.

I won't prejudge but all you anti-gun nuts and liberal sub-humans should note: this only shifts the argument to what will be considered a felony ,and the difference between state felony and federal felony, etc. I would be glad to keep felons from guns but that won't happen will it. Biden's Brady Bill was a bullshit crowing contest.

I mean, in the past 2 years did he lift a finger to correct what everybody knew

The FBI didn’t finish over 1 million gun background checks in time to stop a sale in 2020 and 2021​

As gun sales soared over the past two years, more background checks slipped through holes in the system.

Where does the government get the authority to take away constitutional rights forever?

So you can't put someone in jail for committing first degree murder the rest of their lives? Capital punishment is Unconstitutional?

That's stupid. You can take their rights by convicting them of a crime with their Constitutional rights intact. You made up the "forever" constraint, that isn't in the Constitution.

You made up the "not forever" rule, completely pulled it out of your ass

It's about how that judge thinks. Constitutional literalists might ask where does it say a felon can't be denied access to firearms he previously used in the commission of a crime?

Rulings like that do nothing but highlight the absurdity of gun rights rulings since Heller.
Judges cant just make shit up.
But I remember your ridiculous boot licking posts in my gag order thread.
You are dismissed.

So you can't put someone in jail for committing first degree murder the rest of their lives? Capital punishment is Unconstitutional?

That's stupid. You can take their rights by convicting them of a crime with their Constitutional rights intact.
He served his time. Dont act like a lunatic.

You made up the "forever" constraint, that isn't in the Constitution.
Thats the point! Jesus.
I swear there is like 5 people on this website that actually understand what the constitution is. SMH
Education has failed us.

And next, we may see that 8yr olds too, have a Constitutional right to defend themselves.....and the 2nd applies to them too?

-----------------------------------------------------------

I would be glad to keep felons from guns but that won't happen will it
Hence, if you can't keep guns away from felons....well, why have laws that attempt to do that?

The Grippers are turning the 2nd Amendment into America's suicide note to itself.

IMHO

The Judge is a fucking moron. He was convicted of a crime with his Constitutional rights preserved, unless it was Trump. Loosing his Constitutional right to a gun was part of the punishment. The Judge is an ideologue
The judge is a gun grabbing appointee of a gun grabbing president - bill clinton

This ruling means exactly the opposite of what it appears

The ruling is correct. The perp should be in jail though.

Sometimes Judges and Appellate Courts want SCOTUS to 'clarify' things. I don't know if that's the case here but it kinda sounds like it

Where does the government get the authority to take away constitutional rights forever?
While I think giving guns to felons is a bit stupid.

I do agree with you saying that because you are convicted of a crime doesn't mean you should loose your constitutional rights forever...

P.S. This is a bit of a tangent but a number have lawyers said that this is why Hunter will get off on those gun charges... US government hasn't the right to take a gun because he is on drugs... Again might not make sense but that is the constitution...

He served his time. Dont act like a lunatic.

Thats the point! Jesus.
I swear there is like 5 people on this website that actually understand what the constitution is. SMH
Education has failed us.

You said it was in the Constitution, now you're just being a dick because you can't back up the shit you made up.

I'm not arguing whether he should or shouldn't lose his gun rights, I have to know more about the case to have an opinion on that.

You were just full of shit when you made up the rule that punishment has a time limit. You completely made that up and now you're being a dick to try to distract from your bull

The judge is a gun grabbing appointee of a gun grabbing president - bill clinton

This ruling means exactly the opposite of what it appears

That's a better argument than the Constitutional argument, which was bogus unless you're arguing he wasn't Constitutionally convicted, and you didn't argue that

Sometimes Bruen is a gift....Sometimes it's not.

I would invite folks to spend some time around hardened felons and then evaluate if stopping by Guns-R-Us on their discharge day is really a good idea. ;)
Feelings do not matter, man.
If you dont want felons to have guns, fine. But do it the right way. Dont support the govt giving themselves power that doesnt exist.

Forum List

Back