Union Bosses ..1%ers

All unions are not the same.

You want to elaborate..?

I will. My Union is ok. We don't put up with slackers and we don't have a contract that promotes people only by seniority. You have to prove yourself and pull your weight. We negotiate tough but fair contracts that ensure we ALL come out on top. We recently approved an extension of the current contract because our company is having a tough time right now and we have to be competitive. We also partner with the company on safety issues on a 50-50 basis.

In return we get a generous wage, great benefits, a solid pension with medical and we have a great 401k program to boot.

That's a good union AND a good company working together.

No. That doesn't mean that I've turned anti-union though. I really don't mind a Convention once per year that Local Officers and Stewards attend to discuss issues and meet, greet and party with other Local Officers and Stewards. But from what I understand(I am not either an Officer or Steward in my Local), the union pays for part of the Convention costs, but they themselves pay for most of it out of their own pockets.

BTW... to the OP.. no... I didn't read the post as much as I did the headline... sorry 'bout that. I jumped to a conclusion. And yes, I can understand why members or former members feel the way they do.

EDIT: the truth is... Unions are the only organized group that even care about workers anymore. I support them(almost) fully. While I disagree with what is described in the article posted... I strongly feel that if unions were abolished completely.... then the Corporatists have won and we will see a slide in the standard of living for working people even worse than we have this past 30 years.

if the unions care so much about their members why did andy stern leave the SEIU pretty much broke? 30% of the locals are under the 65% pension fund amounts that is supposed to be there?

what happens if they get thrown to the PBGC? they won't see 30 cents on the dollar they have been promised by their union bosses...?

Never said they were perfect... never said that some, if not most were not corrupt to one extent or another... I am just saying that they are the ONLY entity working FOR the working person.

you are misinformed. there are a plethora of agencies and apparatus that protect the rights of workers from the oldest the civil service codes , to strictly safety bureaus , in my state we have a state wide Osha, that enacts its own and enforces Fed Osha. there are a myriad of agencies that create and proliferate rules, guidelines etc. that feed them , as they are enforced by the EEOC, DFEH, The Department of Labor and Workforce Development etc etc..Those were all created for the WORKING PERSON.

Well.. I guess it's good to be Kings...an awakening perhaps...:disbelief:

--------------------------:iagree:

What do labor union bosses and government bureaucrats have in common? They both go on expensive “junkets” to tropical places on someone else’s dime. This time it’s union bosses representing New York municipal workers soaking up the sun and buying $9 beers in Puerto Rico. Must be nice.

According to The New York Post, some of the workers aren’t exactly thrilled that their union dues are funding this little vacation.

As union bosses continued livin’ it up in the Puerto Rican sun yesterday, municipal workers getting soaked by New York’s cold rain were livid that their hard-earned money was funding the leaders’ Caribbean “convention.”

“There goes our union dues!” fumed a furious Local 3 electrician. “They paid for that junket with union dues.”

“I’ve worked for 10 months in the last two years. I’m getting laid off at the end of the year,” the electrician railed. “I have no use for the union. All I see is waste, corruption and hypocrisy.”

At an Upper West Side firehouse, a member of New York’s Bravest, who was working in the rain, said in amazement, “We’re all based here in New York anyway, so why would they spend all that money on going someplace else? They could have just had it here.”

New York Union Bosses Living Large on Puerto Rican Vacation | The Lonely Conservative

It will still take time for most of the people to understand that the Unions are in for the bosses. Their dues doesn't get them anything they couldn't have had before. Your example is just one of many where the bosses are treated like Kings and someone should take pictures of their homes and then the homes of the poor employees who
paid for the Union bosses mansions...and country clubs and Rolls.

if the unions care so much about their members why did andy stern leave the SEIU pretty much broke? 30% of the locals are under the 65% pension fund amounts that is supposed to be there?

what happens if they get thrown to the PBGC? they won't see 30 cents on the dollar they have been promised by their union bosses...?

Never said they were perfect... never said that some, if not most were not corrupt to one extent or another... I am just saying that they are the ONLY entity working FOR the working person.

you are misinformed. there are a plethora of agencies and apparatus that protect the rights of workers from the oldest the civil service codes , to strictly safety bureaus , in my state we have a state wide Osha, that enacts its own and enforces Fed Osha. there are a myriad of agencies that create and proliferate rules, guidelines etc. that feed them , as they are enforced by the EEOC, DFEH, The Department of Labor and Workforce Development etc etc..Those were all created for the WORKING PERSON.

Not talking about safety. I am talking about compensation. Besides... all those SAFETY regulations came about because of Unions. But don't worry, if you get your wish... Big money will lobby to erode those regulations too, and they will be unopposed because you idiots killed the voice of the worker.

Unions are Corporations. And they routinely sell their workers out. Look at all these horrific trade deals the Unions went along with over the years. They simply went along so they could please their Democratic Party masters who were pushing them. They have completely sold their workers out. And the Bosses have gotten very rich in the process.

Horrific trade deal???? Oh... I see.

What's the deal... are they thugs for negotiating unreasonable demands, or are they helping the conglomerate by negotiating to lowball their members? Make up your mind, son... they can't be both. I love the way you talk out of both sides of your mouth depending on the debate at hand... you sure you're not a Gingrich man? You sure sound like one.

The bottom line is that they don't have much choice these days. It's either bow down to the Conglomerate, or lose their jobs to China... because the Conglomerate doesn't give a shit if they destroy our country or it's people... all they care about is their ledger... they're traitors.

I have always been amazed at the gullibility of workers in unions.
How a person can just hand over a part of their paycheck every week to an organization that does little/nothing for them...in fact likely to cost them their jobs one day - meanwhile this agency has leaders making NIIIICE salaries for working maybe 10 hours a month (and that is a stretch)...the workers can't afford a vacation beyond their backyard - meanwhile the Union bosses are on a "retreat" in Las Vegas.

Suckers.

What do labor union bosses and government bureaucrats have in common? They both go on expensive “junkets” to tropical places on someone else’s dime. This time it’s union bosses representing New York municipal workers soaking up the sun and buying $9 beers in Puerto Rico. Must be nice.

According to The New York Post, some of the workers aren’t exactly thrilled that their union dues are funding this little vacation.

As union bosses continued livin’ it up in the Puerto Rican sun yesterday, municipal workers getting soaked by New York’s cold rain were livid that their hard-earned money was funding the leaders’ Caribbean “convention.”

“There goes our union dues!” fumed a furious Local 3 electrician. “They paid for that junket with union dues.”

“I’ve worked for 10 months in the last two years. I’m getting laid off at the end of the year,” the electrician railed. “I have no use for the union. All I see is waste, corruption and hypocrisy.”

At an Upper West Side firehouse, a member of New York’s Bravest, who was working in the rain, said in amazement, “We’re all based here in New York anyway, so why would they spend all that money on going someplace else? They could have just had it here.”

New York Union Bosses Living Large on Puerto Rican Vacation | The Lonely Conservative

It will still take time for most of the people to understand that the Unions are in for the bosses. Their dues doesn't get them anything they couldn't have had before. Your example is just one of many where the bosses are treated like Kings and someone should take pictures of their homes and then the homes of the poor employees who

Funny.... when they did that with Health Insurance CEO's and then compared them to the poor, working and middle class homes they denied coverage to, it was called bullshit by people like you. When the Wall Street Heist took place and hundreds of thousands of people lost their homes, they did the same.... it was also called out as propaganda.

You have no clue what our dues "get us". Because the idea of a good wage, good benefits and an actual pension is so foreign to you, that you think they don't exist. The idea of having a vested interest in the workplace is also beyond your reasoning power. The idea that you WANT to see your workplace succeed because your pension and your standard of living depends on it is a great motivation.

Funny.... when they did that with Health Insurance CEO's and then compared them to the poor, working and middle class homes they denied coverage to, it was called bullshit by people like you. When the Wall Street Heist took place and hundreds of thousands of people lost their homes, they did the same.... it was also called out as propaganda.

You have no clue what our dues "get us". Because the idea of a good wage, good benefits and an actual pension is so foreign to you, that you think they don't exist. The idea of having a vested interest in the workplace is also beyond your reasoning power. The idea that you WANT to see your workplace succeed because your pension and your standard of living depends on it is a great motivation.
:lmao: vested interest in the workplace.... What a crock.

Vested interest in their pension, its always been fuck the workplace.

says the clueless, biased asshole

I have found that the ones with the strongest opinions against unions are the ones that have never belonged to one. They are truly clueless as to what they do and don't do.

It has to be jealousy. :mad:

Not talking about safety. I am talking about compensation. Besides... all those SAFETY regulations came about because of Unions. But don't worry, if you get your wish... Big money will lobby to erode those regulations too, and they will be unopposed because you idiots killed the voice of the worker.

you are incapable of simple English comprehension it appears.

YOU said Workers rights, I'd say a right to not just fair wages and hours but safety is important too, no?

you are just throwing crap at the wall, Ohsa and its off shoot that does the bulk of the research, NIOSH were created in 1970 by Nixon.

The EEOC, DFEH, are workers rights orgs. aside from SEPARATE safety, that is why I MENTIONED THEM, read what I write not what you want it to say.

YOU said Workers rights, I'd say a right to not just fair wages and hours but safety is important too, no?

you are just throwing crap at the wall, Ohsa and its off shoot that does the bulk of the research, NIOSH were created in 1970 by Nixon.

The EEOC, DFEH, are workers rights orgs. aside from SEPARATE safety, that is why I MENTIONED THEM, read what I write not what you want it to say.

blah, blah, blah.... it doesn't matter WHO created them... Unions are the entities that FOUGHT FOR THEM.... and won. It certainly wasn't the product of the "Free Market" that won those rules and regulations to protect workers. Think about what you wrote instead of just writing.

What can you tell me about unions. Im from Detroit where the entire family worked for the big four. Now just three. I have worked for a union twice. My wife has 13 years vested in local 252.

Now enlighten me.

What can you tell me about unions. Im from Detroit where the entire family worked for the big four. Now just three. I have worked for a union twice. My wife has 13 years vested in local 252.

Now enlighten me.

Not all unions are bad and any attempt to paint them all with the same brush shows ignorance.

Again.....We don't put up with slackers and we don't have a contract that promotes people only by seniority. You have to prove yourself and pull your weight. We negotiate tough but fair contracts that ensure we ALL come out on top. We recently approved an extension of the current contract because our company is having a tough time right now and we have to be competitive. We also partner with the company on safety issues on a 50-50 basis.

In return we get a generous wage, great benefits, a solid pension with medical and we have a great 401k program to boot.

That's a good union AND a good company working together.

Now enlighten me.

My mom was PNA(Pennsylvania Nurses Association), which later was voted out in favor of 1199(SEIU). My wife is 1199 and I am AFSCME. We all love(loved, in the case of my mother, she died in 2004) the workplace... not just our pensions. We love the people we take care of like family...not just as a means of "job security". Do we have lazy fucks who DON'T care about the people we work with? Yes... a handful. But No more than you can find in ANY large workplace... unionized or not. You always have the "boss's golfing buddy", or the "kiss ass" who always seems to get away with everything...no matter where you work.

I find your assertions one that comes from ignorance along with a healthy dose of Right Wing brainwashing, combined with a bad personal experience or two. You saying that ALL unions and their members feel the way you describe is like me saying "all Corporations are run by rich people are greedy fucks that don't care about America or Americans".

Actually, I take that back... because I do feel that way about a lot of Corporations. fuck it... I guess we won't find any common ground.. agree to disagree?

blah, blah, blah.... it doesn't matter WHO created them... Unions are the entities that FOUGHT FOR THEM.... and won. It certainly wasn't the product of the "Free Market" that won those rules and regulations to protect workers. Think about what you wrote instead of just writing.

hdheo, dhgeta*k nsytoanb ndfgwiany, iuatgeklcag.

Last edited:

Now enlighten me.

My mom was PNA(Pennsylvania Nurses Association), which later was voted out in favor of 1199(SEIU). My wife is 1199 and I am AFSCME. We all love(loved, in the case of my mother, she died in 2004) the workplace... not just our pensions. We love the people we take care of like family...not just as a means of "job security". Do we have lazy fucks who DON'T care about the people we work with? Yes... a handful. But No more than you can find in ANY large workplace... unionized or not. You always have the "boss's golfing buddy", or the "kiss ass" who always seems to get away with everything...no matter where you work.

I find your assertions one that comes from ignorance along with a healthy dose of Right Wing brainwashing, combined with a bad personal experience or two. You saying that ALL unions and their members feel the way you describe is like me saying "all Corporations are run by rich people are greedy fucks that don't care about America or Americans".

Actually, I take that back... because I do feel that way about a lot of Corporations. fuck it... I guess we won't find any common ground.. agree to disagree?

wow, no bias there:rolleyes:you're a drone, like dagoose.

I am in a union, it blows. nepotism, featherbedding, no reward or award for initiative, seniority, step outside your box and you're slammed, the costs they add is simply incredible and a HUUUGGGE waste. The territoriality, the hierarchy...its basically a soviet, everyone gets the same raise, that is extorted from the state.

You better believe class warfare is alive. Its a big part of capitalism. Right now there is a nationwide effort to kill unions and lower wages. I really dont care about unions, but I do believe that there is a large group of very wealthy people who want to see workers get less but produce more. Its pretty clear for anyone to see. And to me it comes from both parties. Those people call themselves Christians too. I have news for them. They are the biggest hypocrites this country has. We live in a plutocracy. Plain and simple.

You better believe class warfare is alive. Its a big part of capitalism. Right now there is a nationwide effort to kill unions and lower wages. I really dont care about unions, but I do believe that there is a large group of very wealthy people who want to see workers get less but produce more. Its pretty clear for anyone to see. And to me it comes from both parties. Those people call themselves Christians too. I have news for them. They are the biggest hypocrites this country has. We live in a plutocracy. Plain and simple.

Thank you. That's my feeling as well.

Thank you. That's my feeling as well.

shocker!!!!:badgrin:

Forum List

Back